This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identification of 31 Roadster

I need help identifying a 1931 Roadster I have owned for the last 20 years. It is a street rod, and the dash emblem says it is a Commander, yet the headlight/grill combo look like a President 8. If someone could steer me in the right direction to properly identify, I would be grateful. I would like to return this to its original condition if possible (it is still quite nice as a street rod, just needs some freshening up).

Rod

I think all the great 31's should be kept in original condition. One recently sold at an auction for $198,000.00. Dr. Robert Cade, in Florida, has one. http://community.webshots.com/photo/...52696726mDgPyC
    He also invented Gatorade.

Matthew Burnette
    [img] http://jnautoair.com/images/yelstude2.jpg [/img]
    1963 Lark Daytona HT (6 cylinder, auto trans)
    lots more Studes
    lotsa parts too
    http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstude101

Comment

I certainly agree that it should be returned to original. Identification is key so that I may source the running gear and hood. Is there a way to post photos on this forum so others can look?

Rod

Comment

Serial number plate should be on frame behind left front wheel and body tag should be on engine side of firewall in front of passenger. Those numbers would help.

Have you joined the Antique Studebaker Club or the Studebaker Drivers Club? You wouldn't believe the resources available.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

This is most likely a Studebaker Six or a Dictator. These bring nowhere near 200K. Prices guides show on a good day, for a perfect example, it might be worth $35K. Depending on what modifications were done to this car, it may cost more to reconvert this car back to stock than to leave it as is.

What kind of modifications have been made? Has the frame been boxed? What type of suspensions are on the car? What about the dash? If the mechanicals have all been changed, you'll need the parts to change back. Is it fair to say you bought this for the body shell (was it chopped)?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
          Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I looked last night in both the frame location and the firewall, no tags. Suspension is stock, I am quite sure (straight front axle, beatifully formed, hung on leafs, although shocks were clearly added at the time of its restoration). No evidence of the body being chopped, although I will say that when sitting side by side with, say a 31 Model A, this car looks much more aggresive and artful (Studebaker hallmarks). What is unique about the car is the Grille/Headlight combo. The grill is very, shall I say, swoopy, and the headlights are very large ovals. Additionally, there is not any evidence that this car had the wheel wells for spares on the front fenders.

I did not buy this car recently. It was turned into a street rod in 1963 (I was 2 years old), long before the Mustang II front ends, independent suspension, etc. The parts used on the transformation are even now classics (for instance, it has a dual four barrel cross ram by Eidelbrock that I have never seen anywhere else). But more to your point, the question. Is it going to cost more to bring back to original than it would bring if I found it necessary to sell. I enjoy working on my cars (I have several) and would like to see this in original condition, however my financial prudence says that if I am going to throw good money into a hole, I should do it in a tradtitional mannner, like mutual funds or a boat

Rod

Comment

BTW, the dash plate states the car is a "Commander", and the wheelbase is 113" long. I use Manheim Gold price guide quite frequently and cannot find this model even listed (as a roadster, that is).

Rod

Comment

http://www.studebakermuseum.org/tour6.htm

This link at the Studebaker museum shows my car, only in a coupe. Front end is dentical, yet I have no wheel wells for spares. Dimensionally, it looks identical to my car.

Rod

Comment

The base model Studebaker Six had a 114" wheelbase. Old Cars Price Guide shows no Commander Roadsters. Dictators rode on a 115" wheelbase. I doubt this car is a President. Remember, if it's a street rod and says Commander, it isn't necessarily a Commander.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
                  Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                  1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Rod,
                    I'm gonna jump in here because i'd like to see this car saved! Here are a couple of pics if they work:

do these look like your car? Can you email me pics of your car? Evan

Evan Davis
                    Prairie Bulletin
                    Saskatchewan Chapter
                    Prince Albert, Sk
                    http://www.saskstudebaker.ca/Studebaker.html
                    Evan Davis
                    Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

Evan, sent you an email so if you return I will send pictures. If you took the car on the top (Dictator?) and put the front end from the President Four Seasons below on it, you would have my car. Hope that makes sense.

Rod

Comment

Disregard that last description, it is not either of those front ends (My headlights are large ovals. How did you post those pictures? I will do the same so I do not continue to come across as a dunce!

Rod

Comment

Rod,
                          I think that your car is the model 54 roadster with the president or commander headlights installed. Could this be possible? Evan

Evan Davis
                          Prairie Bulletin
                          Saskatchewan Chapter
                          Prince Albert, Sk
                          Evan Davis
                          Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

One way I know to tell the difference for a beginner is the windows. If your car is a President, it would have roll-up side windows. The model 54 (6 cylinder) would have only come with side curtains. Don't hold me to this, but I think this is right...

Matthew Burnette
                            [img] http://jnautoair.com/images/yelstude2.jpg [/img]
                            1963 Lark Daytona HT (6 cylinder, auto trans)
                            lots more Studes
                            lotsa parts too
                            http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstude101

Comment

The pics that rod sent to me definitely look like a model 54 roadster, without rollup windows. But it does have the oval headlights from a commander or president. Evan
                              PS- Rod is that your ferrari 512 sitting beside it?

Evan Davis
                              Prairie Bulletin
                              Saskatchewan Chapter
                              Prince Albert, Sk
                              Evan Davis
                              Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

Working...
                              X