This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 245 ci six cyl

I am looking for a big six. Anyone have one or know where I could find one? I know they have a really long stroke and I've heard that they have a lot of torque. I want to put it in my 1948 M-16. If anyone has any information please let me know thanks.
    -Randy Varozza

Where are you located Randy??
    Lots of them floating around, not much of a demand but there are guys who have them sitting around.
    Let us know where you're located, might be able to suggest somebody to ask.

Comment

Good Choice, I think the 245 is one of the best flat head sixes made. They pull like a tractor motor but are smooth and quiet. Several vendors have new production parts so a rebuild is no problem.

Restore it, don't replace it.Keep the Studebaker reproduction industry going

Comment

I am located in Placerville CA. Its about 35 miles north of Sacramento. Any information would be great. Thanks.
        Randy

Comment

That engine was first introduced in the 1932 Rockne with 189.8 cid.
          In my 33 I can slow to a crawl and accelerate without shifting out of third and climb hills fully loaded and constantly accelerating. RPMs get pretty high beyond 50 mph. I haven't had it past 60 mph but, according to literature, when it was new it sustained testtrack speed of 83 mph.
          Later bore enlargement and addition of overdrive made it a fine cruising machine, installed in Commanders through 1950 and some trucks through 1961.
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Dad just made a 5,000 + mile trip in his 41 Commander with a 245, no trouble, pulling a trailer.
            I sold one to a guy in AZ, and it's just setting in a van on a storage lot. I would buy it back If I could get it back here FREE

Ebon...
            [img] http://jnautoair.com/images/logo2-3.jpg [/img]

Comment

Randy, You will find that same engine at Plymount Autowreckers. The engined looked pretty good. It is complete with tranny. You should send Ben to look at.

Comment

Hey again, I meant to spell Plymouth just outside of Placerville. They have a M-16 1948 turck with a big six engine. It may be the 245 motor that you wanted.

Comment

The M16 would have the older brother of the 245, I believe that it is the 226 or 227, something close to that. I have one of those that I haven't pulled from my latest M16 acquisition. Fred

Comment

Did they ever use the 245 in the M-16? I have the 226 right now but I just wanted to upgrade. When was the 245 first introduced and in what models? If anyone knows of where I could find one I would appreciate it. Thanks.
                    Randy

Comment

245.6 six "Commander " sixes used in 1950 cars, 1950 to 1960 trucks.

Comment

Gee Whiz, you should have been at the Asa Hall sale last Sunday. There were at least three Commander 6s lying on pallets. They were the last things sold when most of the bidders were gone. I think they brought $10 apiece. I had no way to haul them home to VA, I had enough stuff as it was to move. Peace, Frank Drumheller

Comment

Yeah - the M-series trucks never got a 245. Those didn't make it into trucks until 1950 I believe. If I remember right, the cars had them for a time before the trucks got them. Of course, externally, they're virtually the same - so they'll interchange pretty easily.

[8D]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe
                          1957 President 2-dr
                          1955 President State
                          1951 Champion Biz cpe
                          1963 Daytona project FS
                          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Dadgum it.

Now you guys have got me wanting a big six for my 1/2 ton, which has a tired 185 cu. in. six now.

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup

Paul Simpson
                            "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                            The Red-Headed Amazon
                            Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

Yeah, me too. Our 59 Scotsman has the 185. It recently developed a knocking rod. Oh well, we have a good 289 in the shop...
                              Matthew (Finally, a v-8 truck!!!) Burnette

Matthew Burnette
                              [img] http://jnautoair.com/images/yelstude2.jpg [/img]
                              63 Daytona HT
                              lots more Studes
                              lotsa parts too
                              http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstude101

Comment

Working...
                              X