X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price opinion request Lark 62 conv. - with picts

Dear All,

As mentioned in my previous message I went to see the Lark Daytona 62 convertible that I am thinking of buying.

Here are more details as requested:

Motor: V6
    Transmission: automatic
    Mileage: 96,000 miles (and not 50,000 as previously mentioned by the 97 years old owner )
    Condition: Average. There is some rust here and there but nothing major. The paint needs to be redone however as the previous job was poorly done. The floor is in good condition and the roof seems OK. The windshield however needs replacing as it is slightly cracked and some work needs to be done on the interior (carpet and front seats).

I have attached some picts which will hopefully help.

So I hope the above will help guide you in providing me with a fair price for (hopefully) my new possession.

Isabelle [}]

Looks like a pretty solid car. That's certainly a plus. But it is tired in it's cosmetic aspects. As you say, the paint is less than good and I can see that the front seat upholstery's coming apart at the seams. If you sit on it much, it's all gonna split it's seams. Tired carpet, bent bumper (not bad, but bent, all the same). Tired weatherstripping around the doors and trunk lid, and you can probably figure it's gonna need new tires, hoses, belt(s) and maybe a total brake overhaul if it's set very long.
    Another strike against it is that engine (which by the way is not a "V6" - it's an inline overhead valve 6). That engine has a bit of a reputation for having internal problems if it's ever been run hot or mistreated in some other way. It's not a bad little engine but it leaves a bit to be desired in the performance department.

You haven't told us if it's a known fact that it runs and runs well. HAS it been sitting long or was/is it regularly driven of late? This info will help determine it's worth.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Dear Biggs,

You have a very keen eye [8)] has you have seen even what I forgot to mention (bent fender etc..)

Thanks for your rapid reply. The car runs, but I have not tried it yet has there is no batterie in the car and one of the tires was flat and did not have time to play with it at the time.

The car has been sitting in the same garage for 5-10 years and has been driven once or twice a year since then. The motor was changed 10 years ago.

Isabelle

Comment

OK, I'm not very impressed with the car, it sends up little flags for me. There is rust where the front fenders meet the inner fenders, I suspect from having rusty ones replaced. The paint job is pretty bad, looks like they painted over dirt under the hood. If I see one or two amateur repairs, I worry about the rest. I'd go over the car with a magnet, could be some bondo lurking under that thick paint. If you can live with the six, want it for a driver and can buy it cheap, go for it, It's not a car you can flip unless you can buy it for 8K or under.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
        64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)
        63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
        JDP Maryland

Comment

Well, I'm with JDP on this one. In fact, I think he's being kind of generous at $8K.[8D] (Of course, JDP buys more Studes than I do) I wouldn't offer more than $4K for it and I'd want to hear it run before I did that.
          If you can and want to do stuff to it yourself, you'll make out here. If you have to pay someone to attend to every loose screw or tired part, it's gonna hammer your purse, big time.[xx(]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Sure looks tempting. I would want to get it in the air and look at the subfloor boxes with a knowledgeable body man.
            What's your intent? Driver, showcar, showable driver?
            This is definitely a keeper but what are you willing to invest in its future to become what you want?
            Sounds like you want it. I would. But you don't want to buy it and run it in to the ground like I did with my 60 convertible that now lies in Valhallic oxidation.
            A reasonable price can be determined. The car's survival depends upon your commitment.
            $8,000 does sound generous. I was thinking 4 0r 5 with a probable 10 more to make it something you'd be happy with.
            If you don't mind elbow grease and skinned knuckles, there's tons of support here.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

4 or 5K and I'd write the check today. It is a ragtop after all.

63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
              JDP Maryland

Comment

What can I say, JDP? I'm getting frugal in my old age.[xx(]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Looks like a nice car needing alot of restoration.
                  If you can do alot of the work yourself,or have a hubby or boyfreind that can,Id give them 5k in a heartbeat,mabey as high as eight.
                  If your gonna have to pay pros to do all the work,its gonna cost you a bundle.
                  That engine is the Studebaker inline six,an engine that is prone to head cracking,thats probaly why it was replaced 10 years ago.
                  Still there lots of them on the road,they just need to be treated rather gently and no overheating.
                  Its got the Regal trim with the fake wood dash which is nice.
                  Personally,Id love to have it,though Id swap the power train,its not gonna be very impressive to drive with that engine and an automativ.
                  Still,its a ragtop,and you don't find one of those every day.
                  Best of luck,and I hope Ive been of some help.
                  By the way,what part of Canada are you from?

Comment

That poor little car badly needs a V-8

nate

--
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    62 Daytona hardtop
                    --
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Hey N8, get over here, you need to play with out new steam cleaner.

63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                      JDP Maryland

Comment

JDP, I'll be over in a bit...

just noticed something about this car... the interior doesn't match the exterior... it has the Daytona/Cruiser dash but Regal side trim... kinda odd

(doesn't bother me any though, I think the Regal side trim looks better)

nate

--
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        62 Daytona hardtop
                        --
                        55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Hey guys,

I am very impressed by all your comments, knowledge and keen eyes!!!!

I am probably going to buy it but I guess I have to make sure I don't pay too much for it. Will probably offer around 4k for it.

I have wanted that car since I first rode in it 25 years ago!!! The grand-daughter that inherited it wants to make sure it will go into loving hands and thought that I would be the good person for it.

If you think of more hints or tips they are all welcome. I am sure you will hear from me soon with questions and comments.

By the way, I am from Montreal. Can anyone recommend a good garage close to Montreal that I could trust with jobs on this car as my plan is to slowly and lovingly refurbish it over the next few years.

Also can anyone recommend a good insurance company for these types of cars as my insurance company has accepted to insure it but has all types of restrictions?

Isabelle (hopefully soon to be come a Studebaker babe) [}]

P.S. Sorry for my deficient English grammar as French is my mother tongue []

Comment

Nothing wrong with your english or grammar,certainly better than a lotta 'mericans!!! Good luck on your purchase,with some TLC it will be a cool car!!!

Hawks,Larks,and other critters!
                            Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Isabelle,

honestly, if you really want this car, get it but the more work you can do yourself the less it will hurt. Paying a garage to do every little thing can get expensive. Don't worry about your English, it comes across fine on my screen... (although then again, I haven't had a chance to speak French for years...)

Personally, if I had that car, I would probably just drive it and fix whatever needs fixed as the little problems reveal themselves. It looks a heck of a lot better, condition-wise, than any Studebaker I've ever bought. (just once, I'd like to buy a car with acceptable paint *and* a nice interior...)

nate

--
                              55 Commander Starlight
                              62 Daytona hardtop
                              --
                              55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Working...
                              X