X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starlightchamp
    replied
    Welcome,
    Go to the SDC home page and search for the article "Things to do after you bought that Studebakerr ". This article has
    pages of helpful hints on restoration and is under heading "Studebaker Tech Files".

1950 Champion Starlight
    1963 Hawk GT
    Santa Barbara
    CA

Leave a comment:

• MagikDraggin
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by psycho_666

i'm new to the forum/site, so bare with this 50's loving female who loves her 1955 Studebaker Commander.
    i enherited it from my grandfather and plan to fix it up. i do not know much of anything about cars, so i will most likely be asking stupid questions to all of you.

anyways, any help from anyone would be great!

thanks!
    Lau
    From a "newbie" to another "newbie", I welcome you as well to the wonderful world of old Studebakers. I can't be of much help in answering your questions, as I am trying to learn all what I can about the Hawk I just purchased about a week ago.

Do take their advice about joining with the club. There's a lot of very knowledgeable people on this forum that will be more than glad to offer you all the assistance you will probably ever need with you new acquisition.

Karl (a different Karl than the one above)

1962 GT Hawk 4sp

Leave a comment:

• MagikDraggin
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by psycho_666

i'm new to the forum/site, so bare with this 50's loving female who loves her 1955 Studebaker Commander.
    i enherited it from my grandfather and plan to fix it up. i do not know much of anything about cars, so i will most likely be asking stupid questions to all of you.

anyways, any help from anyone would be great!

thanks!
    Lau
    From a "newbie" to another "newbie", I welcome you as well to the wonderful world of old Studebakers. I can't be of much help in answering your questions, as I am trying to learn all what I can about the Hawk I just purchased about a week ago.

Do take their advice about joining with the club. There's a lot of very knowledgeable people on this forum that will be more than glad to offer you all the assistance you will probably ever need with you new acquisition.

Karl (a different Karl than the one above)

1962 GT Hawk 4sp

Leave a comment:

• FireHawk
    Guest replied
    Welcome, welcome! Always fun to have more people to join in the fun!
    I agree with joining SDC and local chapters - a warehouse of knowledge is available for sure!

~ FireHawk

- 56 PowerHawk
    - 01 Firebird TransAm WS6 Convertible

- Ontario Canada!

Leave a comment:

• FireHawk
    Guest replied
    Welcome, welcome! Always fun to have more people to join in the fun!
    I agree with joining SDC and local chapters - a warehouse of knowledge is available for sure!

~ FireHawk

- 56 PowerHawk
    - 01 Firebird TransAm WS6 Convertible

- Ontario Canada!

Leave a comment:

• costatlc
    replied
    Lau: I tried to check out your MySpace page and look for your Studebaker pictures there...but no luck. (Damn I feel old when I go to MySpace - I need to stay out of there)

I'm with Mark. Any chance you could post the pictures here?

Tom
    Three Rivers, CA
    1955 Commander 4 dr

Leave a comment:

• costatlc
    replied
    Lau: I tried to check out your MySpace page and look for your Studebaker pictures there...but no luck. (Damn I feel old when I go to MySpace - I need to stay out of there)

I'm with Mark. Any chance you could post the pictures here?

Tom
    Three Rivers, CA
    1955 Commander 4 dr

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    Welcome Lau! (or "psycho triple six" if that's what you prefer!)

Do yourself and us a favor next time you're near the car. Look under the hood - back by the passenger's side hood hinge. Just inboard of that hinge, there should be an embossed metal tag held in place with two screws. The coding on that tag will allow us to determine EXACTLY what model of Commander you've become heir to.
    Take a minute and look at this thread. http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...?TOPIC_ID=8974
    There's some nice pics of fellwo forum member, Tom Costa's 55 Commander sedan.

Follow StudeRich's advice and check things thoroughly before just jumping to find replacements. There's LOTS of Studes and Stude parts around but careful preservation and conservation of our common resources will insure that many Studes will be kept roadworthy for ages to come.
    A NEW tank for your 55 would be just about impossible to scare up, but at the worst, your's can be chemically cleaned and the coated inside and keep it in use for years on out![]

Join SDC if you haven't already and find a local chapter of the club as well. They'd be ALL TOO HAPPY to help you put your Commander on the road again. You don't have to hold back on showing the car until it's gleamingly ready to go cruisin'. Lotsa folks still use these Studes as daily drivers, with dings and warts and all![8D]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    Welcome Lau! (or "psycho triple six" if that's what you prefer!)

Do yourself and us a favor next time you're near the car. Look under the hood - back by the passenger's side hood hinge. Just inboard of that hinge, there should be an embossed metal tag held in place with two screws. The coding on that tag will allow us to determine EXACTLY what model of Commander you've become heir to.
    Take a minute and look at this thread. http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...?TOPIC_ID=8974
    There's some nice pics of fellwo forum member, Tom Costa's 55 Commander sedan.

Follow StudeRich's advice and check things thoroughly before just jumping to find replacements. There's LOTS of Studes and Stude parts around but careful preservation and conservation of our common resources will insure that many Studes will be kept roadworthy for ages to come.
    A NEW tank for your 55 would be just about impossible to scare up, but at the worst, your's can be chemically cleaned and the coated inside and keep it in use for years on out![]

Join SDC if you haven't already and find a local chapter of the club as well. They'd be ALL TOO HAPPY to help you put your Commander on the road again. You don't have to hold back on showing the car until it's gleamingly ready to go cruisin'. Lotsa folks still use these Studes as daily drivers, with dings and warts and all![8D]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

Leave a comment:

• 65cruiser
    replied
    [8D]Pictures, us picture junkies gotta have pictures!

Leave a comment:

• 65cruiser
    replied
    [8D]Pictures, us picture junkies gotta have pictures!

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    Welcome! What body style is your "new" Commander? Any pictures?

If the car has sat for 10 years or so, the brakes should be a priority. If it doesn't run quite right, it's an inconvenience. If the brakes fail at speed, it's a whole 'nuther story [:0].

The brakes on these cars are relatively simple and inexpensive to overhaul. New wheel cylinders, new master cylinder, new flexible brake hoses, and a careful inspection of the hard lines. Check the shoes and drums for wear and clean everything up good while you have it apart.

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    Welcome! What body style is your "new" Commander? Any pictures?

If the car has sat for 10 years or so, the brakes should be a priority. If it doesn't run quite right, it's an inconvenience. If the brakes fail at speed, it's a whole 'nuther story [:0].

The brakes on these cars are relatively simple and inexpensive to overhaul. New wheel cylinders, new master cylinder, new flexible brake hoses, and a careful inspection of the hard lines. Check the shoes and drums for wear and clean everything up good while you have it apart.

Leave a comment:

• psycho_666
    Guest replied
    Thanks a lot guys, i'll keep you thuroughly updated as times presses on with the car

Leave a comment:

• psycho_666
    Guest replied
    Thanks a lot guys, i'll keep you thuroughly updated as times presses on with the car

Leave a comment:

Working...
X