No announcement yet.

new member!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lau: I tried to check out your MySpace page and look for your Studebaker pictures there...but no luck. (Damn I feel old when I go to MySpace - I need to stay out of there)

I'm with Mark. Any chance you could post the pictures here?

Tom
    Three Rivers, CA
    1955 Commander 4 dr
    Tom
    Three Rivers, CA
    1955 Commander 4 dr

Comment

Lau: I tried to check out your MySpace page and look for your Studebaker pictures there...but no luck. (Damn I feel old when I go to MySpace - I need to stay out of there)

I'm with Mark. Any chance you could post the pictures here?

Tom
      Three Rivers, CA
      1955 Commander 4 dr
      Tom
      Three Rivers, CA
      1955 Commander 4 dr

Comment

Welcome, welcome! Always fun to have more people to join in the fun!
        I agree with joining SDC and local chapters - a warehouse of knowledge is available for sure!

~ FireHawk

- 56 PowerHawk
        - 01 Firebird TransAm WS6 Convertible

- Ontario Canada!

Comment

Welcome, welcome! Always fun to have more people to join in the fun!
          I agree with joining SDC and local chapters - a warehouse of knowledge is available for sure!

~ FireHawk

- 56 PowerHawk
          - 01 Firebird TransAm WS6 Convertible

- Ontario Canada!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by psycho_666

i'm new to the forum/site, so bare with this 50's loving female who loves her 1955 Studebaker Commander.
            i enherited it from my grandfather and plan to fix it up. i do not know much of anything about cars, so i will most likely be asking stupid questions to all of you.

anyways, any help from anyone would be great!

thanks!
            Lau
            From a "newbie" to another "newbie", I welcome you as well to the wonderful world of old Studebakers. I can't be of much help in answering your questions, as I am trying to learn all what I can about the Hawk I just purchased about a week ago.

Do take their advice about joining with the club. There's a lot of very knowledgeable people on this forum that will be more than glad to offer you all the assistance you will probably ever need with you new acquisition.

Karl (a different Karl than the one above)

1962 GT Hawk 4sp

Comment

quote:Originally posted by psycho_666

i'm new to the forum/site, so bare with this 50's loving female who loves her 1955 Studebaker Commander.
              i enherited it from my grandfather and plan to fix it up. i do not know much of anything about cars, so i will most likely be asking stupid questions to all of you.

anyways, any help from anyone would be great!

thanks!
              Lau
              From a "newbie" to another "newbie", I welcome you as well to the wonderful world of old Studebakers. I can't be of much help in answering your questions, as I am trying to learn all what I can about the Hawk I just purchased about a week ago.

Do take their advice about joining with the club. There's a lot of very knowledgeable people on this forum that will be more than glad to offer you all the assistance you will probably ever need with you new acquisition.

Karl (a different Karl than the one above)

1962 GT Hawk 4sp

Comment

Welcome,
                Go to the SDC home page and search for the article "Things to do after you bought that Studebakerr ". This article has
                pages of helpful hints on restoration and is under heading "Studebaker Tech Files".

1950 Champion Starlight
                1963 Hawk GT
                Santa Barbara
                CA

The 1950 Champion Starlight
                Santa Barbara
                CA

Comment

Welcome,
                  Go to the SDC home page and search for the article "Things to do after you bought that Studebakerr ". This article has
                  pages of helpful hints on restoration and is under heading "Studebaker Tech Files".

1950 Champion Starlight
                  1963 Hawk GT
                  Santa Barbara
                  CA

The 1950 Champion Starlight
                  Santa Barbara
                  CA

Comment

Welcome Lau, just ask anything you need to know the guys and gals here know everything about anything Studebaker and are willing to help. Just what I need a 50's loving stude wife.Wait!! Thats not a proposal just starting a fact lol.

David Baggett Mantachie,Ms.

Comment

Welcome Lau, just ask anything you need to know the guys and gals here know everything about anything Studebaker and are willing to help. Just what I need a 50's loving stude wife.Wait!! Thats not a proposal just starting a fact lol.

David Baggett Mantachie,Ms.

Comment

Welcome! yeah, we want pics...

all I can add is if the front end chrome is in good shape on your '55, WAX IT REGULARLY! that stuff is expensive... (ask me how I know this)

I'd suggest before you do anything, just change all the fluids in the car - oil, coolant, gear oil, ATF (if it's an automatic) etc... I think there's a good writeup somewhere on the SDC site about all the things you should do with a "new" Studebaker, in your case I would do ALL of them because the car has been sitting. Then see if you can get it to run, and yup, brakes are fairly important. The good news is that you can probably get everything you need to do a complete brake job for under $200 or so.

good luck

nate

(and yes, I know, I'm a hypocrite, I still haven't put up the pics of my own '55 since I moved my web site. Of course I haven't worked on it in a while either...)

--
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                        --
                        55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Welcome! yeah, we want pics...

all I can add is if the front end chrome is in good shape on your '55, WAX IT REGULARLY! that stuff is expensive... (ask me how I know this)

I'd suggest before you do anything, just change all the fluids in the car - oil, coolant, gear oil, ATF (if it's an automatic) etc... I think there's a good writeup somewhere on the SDC site about all the things you should do with a "new" Studebaker, in your case I would do ALL of them because the car has been sitting. Then see if you can get it to run, and yup, brakes are fairly important. The good news is that you can probably get everything you need to do a complete brake job for under $200 or so.

good luck

nate

(and yes, I know, I'm a hypocrite, I still haven't put up the pics of my own '55 since I moved my web site. Of course I haven't worked on it in a while either...)

--
                          55 Commander Starlight
                          --
                          55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Lau's '55 Commander:

Nice '55 2-door sedan. looks solid. [8D] How is the paint? Looks like it just needs a good detailing, maybe some buffing? I would suggest if it hasn't been started in a few years, just to change all the fluids and check your rubber parts for drying out and/or cracks. Then you can give her a try at starting. Then I would go through the brakes before driving.

Cool myspace page btw.

John Reich
                            Long Island Chapter Spotlight Editor & Webmaster
                            John Reich

1955 Studebaker President
                            1960 Studebaker Lark (For Sale)
                            1962 Studebaker GT Hawk

Comment

Lau's '55 Commander:

Nice '55 2-door sedan. looks solid. [8D] How is the paint? Looks like it just needs a good detailing, maybe some buffing? I would suggest if it hasn't been started in a few years, just to change all the fluids and check your rubber parts for drying out and/or cracks. Then you can give her a try at starting. Then I would go through the brakes before driving.

Cool myspace page btw.

John Reich
                              Long Island Chapter Spotlight Editor & Webmaster
                              John Reich

1955 Studebaker President
                              1960 Studebaker Lark (For Sale)
                              1962 Studebaker GT Hawk

Comment

That looks like a late '55 2-door sedan, just so you know. There was a mid-year change to a wraparound ("Ultra-Vista" in Stude-speak) windshield, and at the same time the Commander engine was changed to a 259ci engine (was previously a 224.) When you get into the car, you'll have to remember this when looking in the shop manual or parts books - some parts will be labeled "before serial xxxx" or "after serial xxxx" and your car will fall in the later half of the '55 model year.

Looks like a nice, solid find. Let us know what you find when you start getting into the mechanicals and we'll try to help.

nate

--
                                55 Commander Starlight
                                --
                                55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Working...
                                X