This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker engines

I was surfing the web, and came across this: www.angelfire.com/in2/bMc/expeditions.html

Is is a photo of the old Stude factory, apparently made recently, and which shows 1000+ new engines lined up on the floor. Does anyone here know the story on these? Certainly they ought to be mostly easily repairable. Looks like they have transmissions attached too. I can't believe these are all still sitting there. Anyone kow anything about these?

Gotta be a Photo shop hoax. I cant be believe 40+ years after shutdown someone didnt(SASCO or N/A or Standard surplus) didnt salvage these engines.

Comment

Could be, but it doesn't look like a hoax. Funny place to post it if it is. Could be they were tied up in receivership for a long time or something. On the other hand you may be correct. I figured if it's true, some one here or in South Bend might know aboutit.

jeffrey holmes

Comment

Maybe they're not Studebaker engines. [?] Who knows?[?]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Transtar60

Gotta be a Photo shop hoax. I cant be believe 40+ years after shutdown someone didnt(SASCO or N/A or Standard surplus) didnt salvage these engines.
          Wow! I sure hope it isn't a hoax Charlie. Looks like they're just a couple of bored young guys being nosey, trespassing actually, and stumbled on a place at the old factory that probably was/is secured pretty well because of all those engines. In any event, there MUST be a brave sleuth in the area who would check it out for us. That would settle it. I just wonder how recent the pictures are?

Sonny
          http://RacingStudebakers.com
          Sonny
          http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

So what are we doing on the roof of a building? I mean we appreciate the interest n' all, but did safety ever come to mind??
            Interesting, but I don't think such a huge collection would have gone unnoticed

Stuff:
            1941 M15...retirement project
            1953 2R11... daily ride
            2001 F-350 Super Duty Lariat to haul it all..
            1989 Caprice Classic Brougham
            Sexy! 67' John Deere 112H

Comment

Anyone recognize the building?
              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Gotta be a hoax---old photos, whatever. Still......... Note to dan0: kids that age are rarely interested in safety unless an older person forces the issue. Probably old photos, as, as someone has stated previously, that many engines would be hard to go unnoticed all these years. But someone might take it upon himself to do a little sleuthing.

wagone and cursed Avanti I

Comment

Anybody wanna buy the Brooklyn Bridge?[8D][][}][:0][^]

quote:Originally posted by wagone

Gotta be a hoax---old photos, whatever. Still......... Note to dan0: kids that age are rarely interested in safety unless an older person forces the issue. Probably old photos, as, as someone has stated previously, that many engines would be hard to go unnoticed all these years. But someone might take it upon himself to do a little sleuthing.

wagone and cursed Avanti I
                  Sam Roberts

I'm a slow loser, but a fast learner

Comment

Sam , what is the price?[}]

Comment

Hey Curt, the price is right, the shipping is a b++ch though!

quote:Originally posted by curt

Sam , what is the price?[}]
                      Sam Roberts

I'm a slow loser, but a fast learner

Comment

The engines are not a Photoshop hoax. They are real.

The building is The Studebaker Foundry. The photos could have been taken within the last 12 months. The engines are used military surplus diesels of some type. If there aren't thousands of them there, there ARE hundreds.

The current owners of The Studebaker Foundry, Underground Pipe and Valve Company, use only a small portion of the foundry for their business. They rent out over half the square footage under roof (such as it is) to various tenants for dead storage. Much of the west part of the original storage area for raw castings on the west side of the building, but still under roof, is being used to store those complete engines for whatever reason.

Much as these guys would have had a good time on their urban adventure (been there, done that), I can say with certainty that the Foundry Roof is questionable at best as to structural integrity. It's rotting and rusting fast. They were at more risk of falling through than they may have realized. [] The roof is unusually high due to the nature of foundry operations with overhead cranes and tracks and such: Had those guys fallen through, they probably wouldn't have been able to post those photos from "six feet under." [xx(]BP

BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

But if you look real close, isn't that a row of a dozen or two R3 engines....

[)]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
                          Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up Bob, I knew that they couldnt be thousands (or even dozens<G&gt of new Studebaker engines laying around in there.

Comment

Geez - an' April's still some months off![xx(]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe
                              1957 President 2-dr
                              1955 President State
                              1951 Champion Biz cpe
                              1963 Daytona project FS
                              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X