This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission

Can anyone help....is a 63 Avanti transmission the same as an old ford cruise o matic at about the same year etc? Thanks..............Just an FYI...John Myer has been very helpful for parts (engine rebuild/front end rebuild etc). Thanks for the help.

It would be helpful if you explain your intentions. Are you trying to repair/refurbish a Power Shift or do you want to swap something for first gear start?
    Tim K.
    Tim K.
    \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

My intentions are to gain as much info about the car and parts that make up the car. Having bebuilt the engine and now the front end, I'm onto the tranny. Info., is always short and I need the best info I can get. The Tranny is a what and what modifications can be made and is an overdrive available and/or can use another set-up etc. etc? thanks, roger

Comment

It is a Borg-Warner used by FoMoCo, AMC, Studebaker, etc. I am not referring to Power Shift here, as I know little about them, other than they are the same transmission with a different shift valve body. The biggest differences between a Studebaker FlightOmatic, and a Ford CruiseOmatic is the input shaft, and the valve body controlling the shift, and the quadrant reading on the steering column. My 1966 Cruiser, with the cast iron F-O-M has innards from a 1972 CruiseOmatic in it, so I know parts will interchange. This was done when I converted it to a 1st gear start a few years ago.

quote:Originally posted by mtdoraford

My intentions are to gain as much info about the car and parts that make up the car. Having bebuilt the engine and now the front end, I'm onto the tranny. Info., is always short and I need the best info I can get. The Tranny is a what and what modifications can be made and is an overdrive available and/or can use another set-up etc. etc? thanks, roger
        Sam Roberts

Comment

Sam, thanks for the info........I'm in the process of finding a mechanic that can rebuild this thing..........and the more info I can share, the less confusion.

quote:Originally posted by Sam Roberts

It is a Borg-Warner used by FoMoCo, AMC, Studebaker, etc. I am not referring to Power Shift here, as I know little about them, other than they are the same transmission with a different shift valve body. The biggest differences between a Studebaker FlightOmatic, and a Ford CruiseOmatic is the input shaft, and the valve body controlling the shift, and the quadrant reading on the steering column. My 1966 Cruiser, with the cast iron F-O-M has innards from a 1972 CruiseOmatic in it, so I know parts will interchange. This was done when I converted it to a 1st gear start a few years ago.

quote:Originally posted by mtdoraford

Sam Roberts

Comment

Working...
          X