This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame cracking

We've talked about frame cracking on Stude car frames before. I just thought I'd give you a look at what such an illness looks like.
    I was given a '57 Silver Hawk frame last week. This is what it looks like next to each front spring pocket.

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/...1_DSC00095.JPG

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/...0_DSC00094.JPG

I actualy have plans for this frame eventually. What I will do is sandblast it nice and clean and apply the patch pieces that I have templates for (Thanks, Bob Palma!) It will live to serve again!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS

Bob, could you post a more distant shot, I can't quite get the full picture. You're talking about the cracking near the front springs, correct?
    Tim K.
    Tim K.
    \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Yeah, that's it. I'll get a better shot tomorrow if I have time. This frame's got a crack on both rails.

Funny thing is, I had a much better frame laying around here for several years. Gave it away about 4 months before the need for one came up[V] Then I turned down a '60 Hawk frame a guy had cleaned and painted. He'd never done anything with it and simply wanted it out of his garage. Trying to "pare down" here, I refused and he proceeded to cut it up into "managable pieces" so he could haul it to the scrap yard in the back of his Nissan truck!
      At least this one was free and even got delivered to me![:I] Came with a good gas tank too.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

We've junked Studes with good frames. STUPID...STUPID...STUPID!!!
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

GOOD LORD! that must have been a whopper of a pot-hole i THOUGHT we had em bad down here. Ive owned a load of studes but never anythig like that. this is hard to believe.

Comment

Believe it, big jim![:0] It's not that isolated a phenomenon. I've seen a number that have been cracked or repaired. In fact, I bought one once - unsuspecting - where the whole front crossmember was loose from the siderails![:0]
            This was a '56 Power Hawk in 1976!!! (and I wondered why someone had committed a perfectly good-looking Hawk to a wrecking yard[xx(]) Of course, for $25 bucks and it having a zero-time 289 in it, I still got a decent deal - I think.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President 2-dr
            1955 President State
            1951 Champion Biz cpe
            1963 Daytona project FS
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Stude frames must be like most anything else---hard to figure sometimes! I've seen Stude frames hit in front hard enough to where the rail is bent to the point where it can't be aligned correctly and yet nothing is cracked, welds are OK, and even the rivets between the frame rail and cross member aren't broken. Go figure! I really wanted to get the e-bay '54 coupe that JDP just found a new home for; but after 50 years of use (and abuse?) those light gauge frames Kinda scare me. Also my wife insisted that we go visit her almost 89 year old mother over the weekend. That rather put a second crimp on my making a bid or two in the last hour. That red '54 would have brought back a lot of memories for me--hopefully it will for the new owner. Oh well, back to the cursed Avanti!

wagone and Avanti I

Comment

I recently gave away a frame from a wrecked Avanti. It had taken a hard hit on the left front quadrant and pulled the upper and lower A-arms clean off the frame.
                The left frame rail folded up and pulled the front crossmember back with it a bit - but that big-a** X-member isolated all the damage to forward of itself![}]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

I think it's the '53 that had the really weak frames, '54 were heavier although not as heavy as some later ones.

My '55 actually looks pretty good, even though it's obviously been running with a 289 under the hood for a while.

nate

--
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  62 Daytona hardtop
                  http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
                  --
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Those '53 frames were designed to be light weight and flexible by themselves. They were designed to work in concert with the bodies as sort of a first step toward unit bodies. The addition of the crossmember at the A-pillar, starting with 1954 Starliners, was a big help, especially with the doors. We used to install those bat-wing cross members in '53 Starliners on a regular basis.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                    X