This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serial Number

Is the serial number on the fire wall under the hood? Mine number located there is 6H-Y
    10183 What does this say?

That # should be 6H-Y6 10183

Comment

That's not the serial #. That's the body # - 6H says it is a 55 President - Y says it's a long-wheelbase 4dr (but there should also be a digit after that "Y" to denote trim level - a 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 ... a "Y6" would be a President State 4dr sedan)
      The other number is simply that particular body's sequence in the line of 6H-Y* bodies that were welded up for future use.
      The serial # is on the door jamb - on a stainless steel plate that's spot welded to the jamb, between the door's hinges.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks Mr. Biggs. It is 6H-Y6. A person new to a brand( Studebaker) needs help.

Comment

Curt, I'm new too so I know what you're going through. I would suggest that you comb through the numerous web-sites for Stude clubs from around the country. There are plenty which can be linked to through this site. They've usually got want-ads for old repair and parts manuals. I have bought a repair manual from a guy in Indiana and a parts manual (both originals,BTW), at about half the price you'll see advertised for reprints from the parts houses. Good luck.
          Kevin in the Stoogebaker

1963 Champ

Comment

I purchased a few months ago a 6h-y6 Duet acording to the Studebaker archives serial 7166704. It was painted 2585 Tilden Any body know what Tilden is? The interior is a light green
            10183 What does this say I don't think that is the whole serial number

Comment

The color Tilden Gray is shown here:

http://autocolorlibrary.com/cgi-bin/...baker-pg01.jpg

In some years Studebaker used a code word to positively identify each body and transmission combination. This was one way to eliminate mistakes in ordering. A 'Duet' was a President State sedan with automatic transmission.
              Most of these cars would have been painted a two-color combination. Is your car one color? Just curious, where are you located?

Dwain G.

Comment

The 10183 is stamped on the body tag, on the firewall under the hood, on the same tag with 6H-6Y. My serial number tag is on the door/frame ,as I understand. The serial number is = to todays VIN number, it is the one on my title.

Comment

Kevin, thanks for the information about numerous sites, I'ave seen only one or two. What Studebaker has your fancy? I think they are all so unique, each model series is a stand out.

Comment

Thanks Dwain
                    The car was painted black and it looks like a step down from an Earl Schieb job too runs and all. Some one also fooled with the interior color spraying the dash steering column etc a lime green. Looks like from the spec sheet black wasn't even an option. The car otherwise is in very good shape no rust to speak of as it sat in someones private colection up in Evansville Indiana for many years. It also seems to be the 1st 12 volt model. Ill post a pic of it if i can figuer out how to do it well i guess i need help on this one seems to be a dead short between the chair and the key board [?]

Comment

If its not a 1956 or later car, it was originally 6volt. I hope somebody converted it as opposed to just putting a 12 volt in there to run it till something fries.

Comment

<SNIP>
                        Looks like from the spec sheet black wasn't even an option.
                        It was. It's just that those paint chip charts are seldom complete. If you would like to see printed articles on the '55 Presidents, try to purchase these Turning Wheels back issues: 2-94, 3-94, 7-04.

Dwain G.

Comment

I am by no means an expert in fact rather ignorant on Studes but it seems to be a 12 volt system. This car someone told me was a mid model year change. I still haven't seen a similar one in Turning wheels etc Could that affected the electrical system?? This car has the wraparound windshield

Alex

Comment

As Transtar60 said, all 1955s were 6 volt systems. The June build Commander coupe I had was 6 volt, and worked quite well the 12 years I owned it.

quote:Originally posted by Alex Donghi

I am by no means an expert in fact rather ignorant on Studes but it seems to be a 12 volt system. This car someone told me was a mid model year change. I still haven't seen a similar one in Turning wheels etc Could that affected the electrical system?? This car has the wraparound windshield

Alex
                            Sam Roberts

Comment

No "midyear change" for voltage. If your's has a 12volt system, it's because someone converted it to 12volts. Fairly easy to do if you just continue to use the original 6volt starter - which will take 12 volts, no problem and doesn't care about the polarity switch that occurred when they went from 6 to 12.
                              IF they changed the starter to a 12 volt unit, the flywheel ring gear would have to have been changed or that ring gear and the teeth on the starter bendix would suffer in short order. The reason is, that 6volt - 12volt starter gears have a different number of teeth.
                              All the other stuff - generator/regulator, bulbs, OD solenoid (If overdrive equipped), WW wipers, heater blower motors - all that can be swapped with 56-7-8 and later 12volt items.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe
                              1957 President 2-dr
                              1955 President State
                              1951 Champion Biz cpe
                              1963 Daytona project FS
                              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X