Question About Showing Car Stock vs. Modified

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Showing Car Stock vs. Modified

What exactly are the requirements for showing a car as stock or original-are ANY modern modifications, especially for safety purposes, permitted? By that I primarily mean things like seat and/or shoulder belts and modern radial tires. Also, what about paint colors? My '51 Champion is painted a cream/ivory color(it was originally black), but I don't know if this is considered an acceptable original color, and quite frankly, I'm not wild about this particular color, and I've considered repainting it something a bit more flashy, but if I'm going to show it as stock, it needs to be an acceptable color, right?

Now, if showing a car as modified, just how far can one go with this? Are changes to the original design, such as the addition of AC units and modern stereo systems permitted, or do changes have to be limited to the mechanical aspect of the car?

pitbulllady

Try reading here: http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...?TOPIC_ID=7918

Got to love those Stude's
    http://community.webshots.com/album/178154103cENfyB

Comment

Try reading here: http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...?TOPIC_ID=7918

Got to love those Stude's
      http://community.webshots.com/album/178154103cENfyB

Comment

Here are the SDC judging policies...

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...ngpolicies.asp

Here's the judging form...

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...udgingForm.pdf

"Modified" to the SDC means the installation of a non Studebaker motor.

"Custom" means a non-stock vehicle, but with a Studebaker motor (even a 30' Dictator with an R2 would qualify for this class)

Both the Custom and Modified classes are "wide open" as far as modifications are concerned. Chopped tops, lowered, sectioned, different interior, etc. AC units and a stereo are rather "tame" modifications in these classes [^].

If you just want to win a trophy...enter the Custom class. There is only 1/2 the opportunity to loose points since only fit, finish, and condition are judged. If you are proud of your car as an "original Studebaker" and want some experts to let you know what could be bettered on the car to make it more like the day it left the factory, enter the stock class. If you just want to have fun, enter "display only" and relax [8D].

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Here are the SDC judging policies...

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...ngpolicies.asp

Here's the judging form...

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...udgingForm.pdf

"Modified" to the SDC means the installation of a non Studebaker motor.

"Custom" means a non-stock vehicle, but with a Studebaker motor (even a 30' Dictator with an R2 would qualify for this class)

Both the Custom and Modified classes are "wide open" as far as modifications are concerned. Chopped tops, lowered, sectioned, different interior, etc. AC units and a stereo are rather "tame" modifications in these classes [^].

If you just want to win a trophy...enter the Custom class. There is only 1/2 the opportunity to loose points since only fit, finish, and condition are judged. If you are proud of your car as an "original Studebaker" and want some experts to let you know what could be bettered on the car to make it more like the day it left the factory, enter the stock class. If you just want to have fun, enter "display only" and relax [8D].

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

It's a pretty easy differentiation...

Both classes start with 400 points.

Stock:
            200 points for authenticity
            200 points for fit and finish

Modified:
            200 points waived for authenticity (sic)

So.....
            In the stock class you start getting deductions for changes made right away. Then the quality aspect kicks in.

In the modified class, the fit and finish is what you are being judged upon. So, it seems to reason the quality level expeected will have the bar raised a bit...

Kind of a generic look at it, but it is real close to reality..

If you think that changing to the modified class will help you because the authenticity aspect has changed, you will probably find out that this won't help, as the quality aspect gets close/closer/closest attention.

Remember this is a club that is about having [u]fun</u> with, and driving your Studebaker. If you get totally obsessed to the point of ulcers and anxiety... You should re-think the judging aspect.

I have been judged several times, and deserved the markdowns I received. (Some of them humorous, but that's a story for another time..)
            Jeff[8D
            ]

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
            Brooklet, Georgia
            '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
            '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
            '61 Hawk (project)
            http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

It's a pretty easy differentiation...

Both classes start with 400 points.

Stock:
              200 points for authenticity

Modified:
              200 points waived for authenticity (sic)

So.....
              In the stock class you start getting deductions for changes made right away. Then the quality aspect kicks in.

In the modified class, the fit and finish is what you are being judged upon. So, it seems to reason the quality level expeected will have the bar raised a bit...

Kind of a generic look at it, but it is real close to reality..

If you think that changing to the modified class will help you because the authenticity aspect has changed, you will probably find out that this won't help, as the quality aspect gets close/closer/closest attention.

Remember this is a club that is about having [u]fun</u> with, and driving your Studebaker. If you get totally obsessed to the point of ulcers and anxiety... You should re-think the judging aspect.

I have been judged several times, and deserved the markdowns I received. (Some of them humorous, but that's a story for another time..)
              Jeff[8D
              ]

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
              Brooklet, Georgia
              '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
              '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
              '61 Hawk (project)
              http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK
                You sure? I helped judge the Modified Class at Spokane. There were no instructions (formal, informal or otherwise) to inspect the quality of that class any closer than the stock classes.

In fact, since each class is judged by a different team, I'll bet that there were some teams judging stock classes that were tougher on fit, finish, and condition than we were on the Modifieds.

S2DSteve has SUGGESTED judging the Custom and Modified classes tighter than the Stock classes, but as far as I know, this is not currently part of the judging policy...I'm not sure HOW you would do that anyway (5 rock chips OK in stock, 3 OK in Modified? Real shiny good for Stock, but real, real shiny needed for Modified?)

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

You sure? I helped judge the Modified Class at Spokane. There were no instructions (formal, informal or otherwise) to inspect the quality of that class any closer than the stock classes.

In fact, since each class is judged by a different team, I'll bet that there were some teams judging stock classes that were tougher on fit, finish, and condition than we were on the Modifieds.

S2DSteve has SUGGESTED judging the Custom and Modified classes tighter than the Stock classes, but as far as I know, this is not currently part of the judging policy...I'm not sure HOW you would do that anyway (5 rock chips OK in stock, 3 OK in Modified? Real shiny good for Stock, but real, real shiny needed for Modified?)

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Nope.
                    Never sure
                    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Jeff

Comment

Nope.
                      Never sure
                      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                      X