Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need fenders,Front and rear (47 2dr Biz Coupe)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need fenders,Front and rear (47 2dr Biz Coupe)

I work at a restoration shop,and am currently working on a 47 2 Biz coupe. The car is very solid with only minor damage to the roof drivers door.The fenders are a mess,and if possible the owner would like to replace them. I am hoping that some one here can point me in the direction of a good used set or a reproduction pair. We also need to know of a supplier for the weather stripping Etc. The interior of the car was pretty much gutted,and no one seems to know alot about this car. If anyone could email me pictures of the interior to answer a few question.Was there a back seat in the 2 biz coupe? Thanks in advance for any help.

Great site!

Well, that is one rare car! Very few business coupes were made altogether, I'm not sure of the numbers, but they are rare. You are in luck, however. The fenders will interchange with the fenders on any of the two door models, and they just unbolt - nothing should be welded. There were jump seats available in the back in later years, but I don't think the 47 had them. They might have been aftermarket. Most of the business coupes had a curtain behind the seat to hide the salesman's samples that were expected to be carried back there. All the rubber should be available from Fennessy of Tennessee.

Comment

He's lucky - to a point. Given the propensity for these 47-48 Studes to qualify as street rods with some goofy hot rod organization, the supply of two-door fenders is severely drained. The rodders - limited by the silly cutoff year of 1948 - will take a 47 or 48 car and fit it with fenders from a '50 Champion (there goes another resource!) to be able to have a "cool" bullet-nose that technically qualifies under the '48 rule because the body tub is still a '48.
      While any 2-door fenders from a 47, 48, or 49 Champion OR Commander would fit and look right, they're tough to find in ANY condition, let alone good. Fact is, 50 to 52 would fit too but the orientation of the taillight mounting is different. BTW - they're not any easier to find either.
      I've got a pair of decent rears off a '51. I've turned down $300 apiece for them. Money's nice, but then if I need a pair![}]
      With the demand for these and the broad range of application - I'm surprized they haven't been popped in glass already[:0]

Addendum: No rodder's ego were harmed in the foregoing views. The thrust of my point is/was that there's more focus on these particular models than just from the Studebaker crowd. Consequently, the finite supply of parts is more put upon than say, stuff for 53-4-5 sedans would be.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:We also need to know of a supplier for the weather stripping Etc.
        William Fennessey
        217 Andover Way
        Nashville, TN 37221
        (615) 662-5013

Dave's Place
        Studebaker Emporium
        sigpic
        Dave Lester

Comment

There were 9947 1947 model business coupes built. These came in Champion DeLuxe, Champion Regal DeLuxe, Commander DeLuxe and Commander Regal DeLuxe models.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks for the info so far. I still would like more information on this car. The better informed we are, the the more authentic we will be able to restore this diamond in the rough! The front fenders have at some point in time had extensive patch work done in numerous places. We have not even tried to strip the rears yet because of their condition. If the fenders are that hard to find we will have to massage the ones we have already. I can only find one picture of the same car,and would be very interested in any pictures for reference purpose. The picture I located was at www.nexicom.net/~nomad57/stud47big.jpg That is an exact match of the car we are restoring. I am confused as to which model we have. Could any confirm the model of this car.As there are so many knowledgable people on this site,what do you think the restored value of this car is. Keep in mind that it will be a frame off restoration,and will be a correct restoration.Although the owner know the car is rare,I don't think that he knows how rare it is. I didn't even realize until I read the production figures.... Thanks again.

Brett[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]

Comment

If you post the numbers for the car, I am sure that there is someone here that can define the exact model. The serial number is on a plate on the door jamb. The body model/number is on a plate screwed to the cowl on the engine, passenger side.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

As Gary says - read us the body tag - located near the right-hand hood hinge - and we can pin it down exactly. Also, with the serial# from the driver's door jamb and $45 bucks, you can obtain THE production order for that particular car from the Studebaker National Museum. This would tell a good bit about how the car was equipped and fitted when it was built. Might even tell what dealership it was delivered to.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Some aftermarket repair panels have been produced for these cars. The ones I've seen and used are not perfect but save a lot of labor in a pinch. One site I'm aware of is Classic Enterprises at classicent.com
                  I've also seen excellent used sheetmetal for this car at all the major Studebaker swapmeets.
                  If your customer is a member of SDC get a copy of his Turning Wheels magazine and peruse the ads. If he is not, the $25 membership fee is probably half your hourly rate and will be worth it's weight in platinum for the links to the resources you need. And you can place one free want ad with each year's membership, seen by 13,000 readers.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks for all the information thus far. This is a excellent site,and as I read through other posts,I see this group is very knowledgable about these cars. It make things alot easier to find when you have this kind of resourse. Thanks again.

Brett

Comment

We are still searching for fenders,both front and rear,but have started started to strip the ones with the car to bare metal. It looks like we will be able to salvage the rears with some work,but the fronts are really bad. I got the numbers off of the drivers door post,and fire wall tag on the passenger side,and hope that some can tell ne what model this car is. Here goes,

Drivers door post. G 266805
                      fire wall tag 6G Q1

Are ther any other identification tags or numbers I should be looking for?

Thanks for the help folks.
                      Brett

Comment

A 6G represents a 1947 Champion model. I believe the Q1 would make it a three passenger DeLuxe coupe (the low trim level). This car would have the 170 (169.7) cubic inch flathead six. The 2466 is the sequence number of the body build for business coupe bodies. The G in the serial number indicates a Champion model and the 266805 is the sequence number of all 1947 Champion models. At that time, some states used the engine number for a vehicle identification number (VIN) and other states used the serial number (on door post) for the VIN.
                        Bob/MrBiggs, please post corrections to this if I am incorrect, as you are more knowledgeable about these numbers than I am.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

You are correct,it is a flat head six. I also found that it is a champion model as well.( It says "Champion right on the dash).This car has a front bench seat.Is that the 3 passenger seating,or does that mean there was a jump seat in the back? Also is there any way to confirm the original color codes for this car? It was a pale tan,almost yellow exterior,and had a brown interior. Does this color combo sound correct?

Thanks again for the information. You guys have been a tremendous help. I think I know more about this car after posting on this site,than the owner does.Hahaha! Thanks guys.

Comment

bstang,you can order the original build sheet for that car from the Studebaker National Museum. Cost is $45.00, and it will tell you everything you want to know about the configuration of the car when it left the factory.

Comment

Sweet! Thanks I will pass that on to the owner,or just add it to the bill!!

Comment

Working...
                              X