No announcement yet.

Bigsy, a Zip Van for you!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, When we did the Zip Van Matthew was more in the way than anything else, but we let him hang arourd anyway.The van was pretty complete when we got it but we did replace 1 side panel from N.A. One of our very talented members created that neat curved piece of sheet metal above the back door. A member who works for the P.O. got us the paint codes. Another member is a sign painter and did the lettering. I paid $40 bucks for it in 1988. NT

Neil Thornton
    Hazlehurst, GA
    '57 Silver Hawk
    '56 Sky Hawk
    '51 2R16 dump truck
    Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

Yep, When we did the Zip Van Matthew was more in the way than anything else, but we let him hang arourd anyway.The van was pretty complete when we got it but we did replace 1 side panel from N.A. One of our very talented members created that neat curved piece of sheet metal above the back door. A member who works for the P.O. got us the paint codes. Another member is a sign painter and did the lettering. I paid $40 bucks for it in 1988. NT

Neil Thornton
      Hazlehurst, GA
      '57 Silver Hawk
      '56 Sky Hawk
      '51 2R16 dump truck
      Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

Another thing, one of our chapter members in Tallahassee has one that he's going to use a storage building. I was looking at it one day, and it has a watercooled HD flight-o-matic with the e-brake on the back of the trans. Also, the guage cluster is the same as those used in '55 trucks, maybe other years too.

This is the tag from that one...

Matthew Burnette
        Hazlehurst, Georgia
        '59 Scotsman PU
        '63 Daytona HT

http://mbstudebaker.blogspot.com/
        http://georgiastudebaker.com/

Comment

Another thing, one of our chapter members in Tallahassee has one that he's going to use a storage building. I was looking at it one day, and it has a watercooled HD flight-o-matic with the e-brake on the back of the trans. Also, the guage cluster is the same as those used in '55 trucks, maybe other years too.

This is the tag from that one...

Matthew Burnette
          Hazlehurst, Georgia
          '59 Scotsman PU
          '63 Daytona HT

http://mbstudebaker.blogspot.com/
          http://georgiastudebaker.com/

Comment

Matthew - I didn't look it up, but that looks like late production and a very high serial number for a Zip Van. I believe that most, if not all, Zip Vans were made during the normal 1964 model year, but were considered 1963s due to the Post Office contract. It would be something if that was the last Zip Van built and perhaps the last Studebaker built in South Bend (really Mishawaka).

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Matthew - I didn't look it up, but that looks like late production and a very high serial number for a Zip Van. I believe that most, if not all, Zip Vans were made during the normal 1964 model year, but were considered 1963s due to the Post Office contract. It would be something if that was the last Zip Van built and perhaps the last Studebaker built in South Bend (really Mishawaka).

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
              X