No announcement yet.

Bigsy, a Zip Van for you!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last time I was at Bob Peterson's (Hayward, CA) he had one for sale...

he's at candbstudebakers@sbcglobal.net

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

WOW! That would match Pete! Of course, Pete would be jealous of the cool graphics.

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

WOW! That would match Pete! Of course, Pete would be jealous of the cool graphics.

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I believe they were all 3.73 to 1 ratio TT rears, with low gear start Automatics, that would make a mean hot rod with a 289 in place of the OHV 170! [}][}][:0]

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Anyone know what was the standard rear ratio in these? I've heard they're pretty squirrely in high winds or over about 50 MPH!
            StudeRich
            Studebakers Northwest
            Ferndale, WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I believe they were all 3.73 to 1 ratio TT rears, with low gear start Automatics, that would make a mean hot rod with a 289 in place of the OHV 170! [}][}][:0]

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Anyone know what was the standard rear ratio in these? I've heard they're pretty squirrely in high winds or over about 50 MPH!
              StudeRich
              Studebakers Northwest
              Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

that would make a mean hot rod with a 289
                Except for the aerodynamics. Like pushing a brick through Jell-O!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                '63 F2/Lark Standard
                http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

that would make a mean hot rod with a 289
                  Except for the aerodynamics. Like pushing a brick through Jell-O!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                  '63 F2/Lark Standard
                  http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I owned a Zip Van for several years. I replaced the engine with an excellent used '64 truck six. That is not like changing the engine in any other Studebaker. You roll the front sub-frame out from under the raised body. I seem to remember the rear axle ratio as being 4.27:1, or thereabouts. The Zip Van seemed to not want to, or I didn't want to, go above 45 mph. It was the only vehicle that I owned that my dog didn't like to ride in. After changing the engine and painting the van, I traded it (along with several boxes of NOS Zip Van parts)to a girl in NJ for her '64 Daytona hardtop.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I owned a Zip Van for several years. I replaced the engine with an excellent used '64 truck six. That is not like changing the engine in any other Studebaker. You roll the front sub-frame out from under the raised body. I seem to remember the rear axle ratio as being 4.27:1, or thereabouts. The Zip Van seemed to not want to, or I didn't want to, go above 45 mph. It was the only vehicle that I owned that my dog didn't like to ride in. After changing the engine and painting the van, I traded it (along with several boxes of NOS Zip Van parts)to a girl in NJ for her '64 Daytona hardtop.

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I dig that front flow-thru ventilation system. Was that the precursor of RefreshAire?

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Comment

I dig that front flow-thru ventilation system. Was that the precursor of RefreshAire?

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Comment

I wonder how much that piece of flat glass would cost???

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

I wonder how much that piece of flat glass would cost???

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

I could get that piece of glass cut REAL CHEAP. I know a guy that knows a guy.

Miscreant adrift in
                                the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                                1960 Larkvertible V8
                                1958 Provincial wagon
                                1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Working...
                                X