This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raymond would be proud - maybe

Remember Ray Loewy's edict to his design team? He reminded them: "Weight is the enemy!" The idea being that if they were concious of weight reduction in the case of designing the new (for '39) Champion, the performance would benefit as would the economy of the new 170 cu.in. engine that would be employed.
    Well, I decided to take Ray's advice to heart with this 58 wagon. And hey - I got great A/C to boot! Such a deal.

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/...1_DSC00101.JPG

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS

Yikes!

-Dick-
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Real suicide doors!

Gerry

Comment

Nature is taking care of my weight problem. Starts out as little holes that grow...!

Comment

Why leave the fenders on? Better take the carpet out too,it'll get rain soaked and weigh a ton!

Everybody's Uncle Used To Have One!
          Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Reminds me of the jeeps on Fantasy Island. I think C.H.P. might have an issue with your idea though...[:I]

Lotsa Larks!
            Studeclunker
            A.K.A: out2lunch
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

This is Dick Steinkamp's fault. He's the one that put this albatross around my neck![}] I'm gonna get back at him one day. I really am.

This is a classic case of -Where do you stop?- syndrome. I buy this wagon, get it to where it's road navigable and decide: "That headliner a-lyin' on my head ain't so cool. Fact is, it hangs so low that I can't see out the rear view mirror.
              So - I order a headliner from Hysteric Automotive and try to build the courage to cut down the old one. The old one hasn't torn anywhere but it's come loose from all the bows and now acts as a big, red bag that holds all the tarry insulation crap which once called the underside of the roof metal "home".
              The new (white) headliner shows up and acts as a catalyst to inspire my lazy backside to action. It's crunch time! Crunch as in all those millions of dried insulation bits and crispier sections of old headliner.[xx(]
              I lay one long piece of plastic sheeting from the tailgate to the front seat and go after the old, sagging headliner like a slasher! Goggles and dust mask in place - it's still an offensive operation. Within an hour tho, all the 9 bows are out as well as all the toothy edge pieces that grip and hold the liner tight. It's obvious that they and the bows are gonna need some POR-15 or some such slathered on to eliminate the possibility of them staining thru my pretty new headliner once I get it up.
              Then there's the underside of the roof itself. While it's not rusted thru anywhere, it's plenty crusty in some places from having the sweat of daily weather form and dry innumerable times over the last 47 years.[V] And ya hafta wonder just how much good or damage that tarred insulator crap did for the time that it bothered to stay stuck to the roof. Since it's one big loooong roof, I have to consider how it might resonate without any sort of insulation in place. I get out, stand next to the car and tap the now bare roof with one finger and the sound that comes back is akin to the huge gong that announces the Emperor's entrance into his chamber!
              Goggles and mask back on - I'm determined to get as dirty as I can in one day. I go at the rusty, crusty underside of the roof with a rotary sander and some 80 grit discs. The resounding cacophany of the noisy-a** sander on the mega-gong of a roof is enough to tell folks some miles off that someone's working sheet metal. But after about an hour or so (sprinkled with lotsa little breaks - holdin' that sander overhead plays hell on one's arms!), the crusty stuff is all on me instead of the roof.[B)]
              Is the underside of the roof all gleaming metal now? Not on your life! There's NO way I'm gonna bother to make it look as tho it just came out of the stamping press. I'm gonna POR around the edges - where the roof's joined to the pillars and such - and then I'm gonna spray-glue insulation pieces to the roof. That's all the lovin' the roof's gonna get. 10-20 years from now, the next owner can make it better'n new if he so decides.[^] See! I CAN be decisive about not going TOO far with this project.

Of course, there's that little voice from one of the distant corners of my head. It wants me to consider that since I'm bent on changing the color scheme of the car, and since the new windlace has to go in BEFORE the headliner can go up (the old windlace is a crumbling, whisp of what it once was), and since the weatherstripping around the doors is both crunchy and gooey, like some kinda disgusting crackers with peanut butter - NOW would be a good time to shoot that upper body color!
              See - with no headliner to worry about, no windlace to work around, all the gooey weatherstripping gunk gone, the seats tossed out and the tailgates removed - properly prepping and painting the jambs of all 5 openings will be a breeze! Right[?][V]

Oh - but it don't stop there![}] If'n you're gonna do the upper sections of the doors in this recolor (BTW, it's gonna be white over Sky blue when it's done - with a white 'n blue interior to match), then the windows, vent windows and all that tatte
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Mr. Biggs,

I do believe I see a short story here for TW (especially with a few photos. How about it?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Steinkamp's gonna pay for this. I swear he will![}]
                  I'm innocent, I tell ya'! It wasn't my fault! I've never seen that car before in my life! I was home watching TV when Biggs bought that car! He's trying to frame me! I don't even know how to SPELL Studiebacker. I'm innocent, I tell ya!

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

I toddle back out, strip off my attire (yeah - put your hand over your minds eyes[:0]) and sink into the pool to ease the heat.
                  Whew...even putting my hand over my minds eyes didn't help rid me of that mental image...I'm surprised our moderator didn't censor that line. It will take me weeks to get my digestive system functioning normally again (BTW, is there any water left in the pool?) <BOSEG>

Hey, Bob...you've only got 3 weeks to get the doors back on that Provincial before Spokane (high 70's and sunny here in beautiful Washington state)
                  [}]

-Dick-
                  Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Mr. B,
                      Great air circulation. Actually, that car looks pretty sound from here
                      (3000 miles from you). It'll be a nice car when you're finished.
                      Rog
                      '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                      Smithtown,NY
                      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Working...
                      X