1952 pace car clone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1952 pace car clone

The recent thread on the 62 pace car got me wondering if there are any known clones of the 1952 commander convertible pace car. Anyone ever hear of any?

Dan
    52 hardtop

Dan,

I've not seen a 52 Pace Car clone, (or the real one) BUT, if I ever find the original Pace Car, I would buy it, even if the only things left were the body tag and VIN #!
    I gaurentee that my 52 would "disapear" for a few months, and "re-apear" Maui Blue with a black top and red leather interior, AND lettered up as a Pace Car! <G>
    I have had the 52 Pace Car VIN # run, it's NOT in Indiana, Illinois, Ohio or Michigan. Well at least it's not registered in any of those states.
    Dick Quinn did a feature article on the 52 500 cars a few years ago in Turning Wheels. From what I remember, the Pace Car was still owned by Studebaker until 1954. It was then sold to an (unknown) dealer, and it was "probably" sanded down, painted and sold as a used car, and now has come back to life as a toyota or something!
    I know of NONE of the 52 500 cars that have survived.

Jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
    their Memorials!

Comment

Dan,

I've not seen a 52 Pace Car clone, (or the real one) BUT, if I ever find the original Pace Car, I would buy it, even if the only things left were the body tag and VIN #!
      I gaurentee that my 52 would "disapear" for a few months, and "re-apear" Maui Blue with a black top and red leather interior, AND lettered up as a Pace Car! <G>
      I have had the 52 Pace Car VIN # run, it's NOT in Indiana, Illinois, Ohio or Michigan. Well at least it's not registered in any of those states.
      Dick Quinn did a feature article on the 52 500 cars a few years ago in Turning Wheels. From what I remember, the Pace Car was still owned by Studebaker until 1954. It was then sold to an (unknown) dealer, and it was "probably" sanded down, painted and sold as a used car, and now has come back to life as a toyota or something!

Jim
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

April 99 was the Almanac article about the 1952 Indy 500. Richard found all the serial numbers for cars associated with the race. I have a sidebar at www.studebakerhardtop.com on the event. I have yet to determine what, if any at all, markings were done on the other cars and trucks provided that day. (in all 29 cars and trucks!)

Even cloned, a 52 pace car convertile would be so, so cool. A good project for someeone. Wish it was me.

Hmm. I suppose a few minutes with the sawzall would take that hardtop I have right off...

Here's a good question - I wonder what the most recent Indy 500 is where a pace car or cloned pace car does NOT exist? Could the world be waiting on us Studebaker guys?

Dan
        52 hardtop

Comment

April 99 was the Almanac article about the 1952 Indy 500. Richard found all the serial numbers for cars associated with the race. I have a sidebar at www.studebakerhardtop.com on the event. I have yet to determine what, if any at all, markings were done on the other cars and trucks provided that day. (in all 29 cars and trucks!)

Even cloned, a 52 pace car convertile would be so, so cool. A good project for someeone. Wish it was me.

Hmm. I suppose a few minutes with the sawzall would take that hardtop I have right off...

Here's a good question - I wonder what the most recent Indy 500 is where a pace car or cloned pace car does NOT exist? Could the world be waiting on us Studebaker guys?

Dan
          52 hardtop

Comment

A friend of mine owned a '52 Pace Car replica (Maui Blue/red leather), but I do not know its current whereabouts.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

A friend of mine owned a '52 Pace Car replica (Maui Blue/red leather), but I do not know its current whereabouts.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Question/Provocation:

If you think it would make your car more fun for you, and more valuable for a car collector, why not take your saw and cut off the hardtop roof?

My understanding is that they are almost identical, except for the frame strengthening (X-member) and the convertible top itself.

It sounds to me like a do-able, worthwhile project. Comments???

Meanwhile, my advice is that it is your car and your money. Enjoy!

Paul

Comment

Question/Provocation:

If you think it would make your car more fun for you, and more valuable for a car collector, why not take your saw and cut off the hardtop roof?

My understanding is that they are almost identical, except for the frame strengthening (X-member) and the convertible top itself.

It sounds to me like a do-able, worthwhile project. Comments???

Meanwhile, my advice is that it is your car and your money. Enjoy!

Paul

Comment

52 ragtops do NOT have an X member! at least mine doesn't. I'm sure that mine is original, as I still can see the original pinch welds on the rocker panels. My 52 had NO rust holes, bullet holes yes, but no rust! <G>
                    My 62 ragtop does have the X member.

Jim

their Memorials!

Comment

52 ragtops do NOT have an X member! at least mine doesn't. I'm sure that mine is original, as I still can see the original pinch welds on the rocker panels. My 52 had NO rust holes, bullet holes yes, but no rust! <G>
                      My 62 ragtop does have the X member.

Jim

their Memorials!

Comment

If you check the parts book, the hardtop cab be removed fairly easily.

64 Commander 2 dr.
                        64 Daytona HT
                        63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black)
                        63 Avanti R1
                        63 Daytona convert
                        63 Lark 2 door
                        63 Lark 2 door #2
                        62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
                        62 Lark 2 door
                        60 Lark HT
                        60 Hawk
                        59 3E truck
                        52 Starliner
                        51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

If you check the parts book, the hardtop cab be removed fairly easily.

64 Commander 2 dr.
                          64 Daytona HT
                          63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black)
                          63 Avanti R1
                          63 Daytona convert
                          63 Lark 2 door
                          63 Lark 2 door #2
                          62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
                          62 Lark 2 door
                          60 Lark HT
                          60 Hawk
                          59 3E truck
                          52 Starliner
                          51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52 Ragtop

Has anyone checked with the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum? Seems to me that they have quite the fleet of former pace cars. And if I remember correctly, doesn't the winner of the race get the pace car?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52 Ragtop

Has anyone checked with the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum? Seems to me that they have quite the fleet of former pace cars. And if I remember correctly, doesn't the winner of the race get the pace car?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Working...
                              X