This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studeparker vs. 2005 Great race.

What a story. When your your dad was bidding on my Studebaker truck for the race, I though he was nuts. When he bought the Champion sight unseen, I was convinced. You both showed me what "true grit" is all about.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    55 Speedster
    50 2R 10 truck
    JDP Maryland

Comment

What an incredible & amazing story! You and your dad did Studebaker's history proud, in my estimation. I'm not sure whether you were brave or nuts, but for those who think adventure belongs in the past - you've both proven them wrong. Don't even wash the bugs off and show up for the International Meet - you'll be treated as heros. Way to go!
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS to you and your dad Joe. You took some significant risks and the rewards were commensurate. After talking with you guys in Denver I felt sure you would be crossing the final finish line.

Well done!

Gerry

Comment

joeker, I would love to do a great race. Congratulations, did you driver the Studebaker home when the race was over?

Comment

Where does one learn more about the great race, fees, etc?

Comment

What happened to the car after the race? The whole thing sounds a lot like what I go through just getting to work every day. Only a lot more fun!

Lotsa Larks!
              Studeclunker
              A.K.A: out2lunch
              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Joe,
                What a fascinating story about you, your dad and the Great Race.
                I was rivited to my screen and couldn't stop reading. There's a book in there somewhere.
                My congratulations to you for your pioneering spirit, taking a car you just met and driving across the country. I'm not sure I would have the guts to do it.
                What's the status of the car now?
                Rog
                '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Joe,
                  I hope you and your dad took some photos. I would love to see this in TW.

Mike
                  www.packardhawk.com

Comment

Wow, thanks for the kind words about my writing.
                    About the Great Race... you can find out more at www.Greatrace.com

Comment

WOW! My God, what an invigorating tale that was Joe!! Congratulations to you and your Dad on your, (in my way-o-thinking), victory over "The Great Race"!!![^][^] Awesome, just awesome....

It's awesome because you fellas bought a '51 Champion sight-unseen, THREE DAYS before the race and "raced" it, (yep, raced it, NOT cruised it), in what would turn out to be a rather demanding course, from coast to beautiful coast of our United States. I could actually picture that little Champion "singing" along! What an adventure that must have been, I'm very envious!

As you say at the end of this tale, if someone is "afraid your car is not capable", after reading this, deciding if driving our hardy Studebakers ANYwhere you wanna to drive them, is not much cause for concern. (Now that I think about it, a '51 Champion has a model 27 Dana rear end at best, right?) (hmmm... wish we had a "funny face" for a great big 'ol ****-eatin' grin.... )

Once again, awesome tale, and thanks a million for making my day Joe!

Sonny
                      http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

[8D] Joe, I'm so glad you have gotton your Dad on the road. I think he may finally have the right attitude about retirement. And its just grand that you two have found the time to enjoy each others company. And where did you learn to write like that ? You know I'm just accross town and I live by a lake too.-
                        Come see me sometime-LUV Sharon

Comment

GREAT and inspirational tale, Joe! I've been a proponent of driving these cars for years. And the later years have brought out comments about how that is just plain wrong, given the nature of today's traffic and the "fragility " of these relics.
                          You and your dad showed 'em and showed 'em good! All the candy-a**ed "Gotta have A/C, power steering and a computer-controlled GM 350 to have a hope in hell of limping across town" gang can take a big bite of your story and chew on it for awhile.[xx(]
                          Studebaker DID NOT go out of business because they built flimsy junk. Studebaker had always oozed a go-it-your-way aura, in the very same spirit you and your dad did with this adventure.
                          Thanks for all the keystrokes to let us share the ride. And congrats to you and pop for hangin' tough thru it all! We's proud of you, both![^]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe
                          1957 President 2-dr
                          1955 President State
                          1951 Champion Biz cpe
                          1963 Daytona project FS
                          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Now that was a great adventure. I'm so eeeeenvious![}]

Lotsa Larks!
                            Studeclunker
                            A.K.A: out2lunch
                            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

[8D]Congrats indeed! Excellent reading. I hope you have some pictures and will submit the whole article to Art Unger for use in Turning Wheels. BP

BP
                              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                              X