This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rookie Needs Help getting Started

I need some help bad. I've got my dad's old Studebaker truck that's been sitting out on the hillside for the last 30 years, and I have it my head to TRY restoring it. Problem is, I don't know where to start. I put tires on it so I could move it off the hill, painting the rims while I was at it. Problem is, I don't even know WHAT it is. Looking at the nameplates, one says it's a Model 2R C2 (cab?), while the other calls it a Model 2R10-22. Judging from some of the other messages posted (I'm also a new member of SDC), I would take it to be a 2R10 type truck. Can anyone identify for me the YEAR the truck was made from the information here, or do I need something else? (I'm searching for the title now). I need to know the year model so I can order the appropriate shop and/or chassis manual. A friend thinks it is a '54, but is not certain. Would anyone suggest a reputable place from which to order manuals?

I am not a truck expert, but I will get you started. The 2R10 is a 3/4 ton model. The 22 indicates a 122 inch wheelbase. A 2R10 would have a 170 cubic inch inline six cylinder engine. 2R series were made from 1949 through 1953 model years. It is not a 1954, but I believe the serial number (off the plate on the truck) would be needed to determine the model year (1949-1953). The truck was designed by Robert Bourke, head of Loewy Studios in South Bend. You can get repro manuals from most of the major vendors like SI or SA. Usually the diagrams are better in original manuals. You can often find these on eBay or at vendors. Good luck on your project and welcome to SDC.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

I am not a truck expert, but I will get you started. The 2R10 is a 3/4 ton model. The 22 indicates a 122 inch wheelbase. A 2R10 would have a 170 cubic inch inline six cylinder engine. 2R series were made from 1949 through 1953 model years. It is not a 1954, but I believe the serial number (off the plate on the truck) would be needed to determine the model year (1949-1953). The truck was designed by Robert Bourke, head of Loewy Studios in South Bend. You can get repro manuals from most of the major vendors like SI or SA. Usually the diagrams are better in original manuals. You can often find these on eBay or at vendors. Good luck on your project and welcome to SDC.
      Hey, Studegary - thanks a lot for the reply AND the information. I looked up the serial number - it's R10-7925. Does that tell you anything?

Comment

If you contact the Studebaker National Museum, linked to SDC website, for a fee they will copy and reproduce the original build sheet from your VIN#. This will tell you about the original equipment, color, tire size etc. and when it was built and shipped, possibly to what dealership.
        Contact your local SDC chapter and attend a local meet, even if you are driving an SOB (some other brand). The contacts you make there will soon become friends and a great source of information, expertise and encouragement.
        An index for Turning Wheels will tell you in which issue Fred Fox has spotlighted your truck and will suppy tons more information than we can relate here.
        Keep us posted on progress and welcome!
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Rookie writes: "Hey, Studegary - thanks a lot for the reply AND the information. I looked up the serial number - it's R10-7925. Does that tell you anything?"

That's not gonna define what year this thing ought to be considered. Stude lumped all the 2R truck production (early '48 thru '53) together without defining breaks to designate "year models". Basically, it was desiginated by the year it was sold in. ie: Sold in '53 - called a '53. Even tho it may have been built in late '52 or even '51! But this decision was made by the dealer or the state vehicle registrars - not the factory. They were less precise and worried about fraud back then.

The only way you're gonna find out what date your truck was assembled is by paying the museum to dig out the production order for YOUR truck. And even then it won't say "This is a '51 - or '52 or such.
          With the '54 year trucks, enough changes were made to warrant assigning a new designation - 3R

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
          X