51 Starlite Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 51 Starlite Coupe

How do you tell the difference from the 51 Starlite Coupe and the 51 Commander and 51 Champion.

Commander and Champion refer to the engine. Commander=V8, Champion=6.

Starlight Coupe refers to the body style (2 door, wrap around rear window).

There are Commander Starlight Coupes and Champion Starlight coupes.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Commander and Champion refer to the engine. Commander=V8, Champion=6.

Starlight Coupe refers to the body style (2 door, wrap around rear window).

There are Commander Starlight Coupes and Champion Starlight coupes.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Good timing there Dick. I was about to start bringing out all the pics and such. [)]

Yes, the Starlight coupe was a body style, available in both the Commander and Champion models.

Here's my uncle's '51 Champion Starlight coupe. Note the four piece rear window.

Matthew Burnette
        Hazlehurst, Georgia
        '59 Scotsman PU
        '63 Daytona HT

http://mbstudebaker.blogspot.com/

Comment

Good timing there Dick. I was about to start bringing out all the pics and such. [)]

Yes, the Starlight coupe was a body style, available in both the Commander and Champion models.

Here's my uncle's '51 Champion Starlight coupe. Note the four piece rear window.

Matthew Burnette
          Hazlehurst, Georgia
          '59 Scotsman PU
          '63 Daytona HT

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Lon E. Wright

How do you tell the difference from the 51 Starlite Coupe and the 51 Commander and 51 Champion.
            A '51 Starlight Coupe will be either a Champion or a Commander. The Champion being a six-cylinder car, and the Commander being a V8. Studebaker considered the sixes and eights to be separate car lines, rather than engine options, as was common amongst the Big 3.

Available body styles included the business coupe (Q body), Starlight coupe (C body), 2 door sedan (F body), 4 door sedan (W body), convertible (J body), and long-wheelbase 4 door sedan (Y body), normally called the Land Cruiser. In '51, IIRC, the Q body was only sold as a Champion, and the Y body only as a Commander. The remainder could all be had as either Commanders or Champions.

If I got a detail wrong here, I'm sure we'll hear about it , but the main point is that "Starlight Coupe" is the name for a body TYPE, and that body type could be had in either the Champion or Commander line.

Hope this helps.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Lon E. Wright

A '51 Starlight Coupe will be either a Champion or a Commander. The Champion being a six-cylinder car, and the Commander being a V8. Studebaker considered the sixes and eights to be separate car lines, rather than engine options, as was common amongst the Big 3.

Available body styles included the business coupe (Q body), Starlight coupe (C body), 2 door sedan (F body), 4 door sedan (W body), convertible (J body), and long-wheelbase 4 door sedan (Y body), normally called the Land Cruiser. In '51, IIRC, the Q body was only sold as a Champion, and the Y body only as a Commander. The remainder could all be had as either Commanders or Champions.

If I got a detail wrong here, I'm sure we'll hear about it , but the main point is that "Starlight Coupe" is the name for a body TYPE, and that body type could be had in either the Champion or Commander line.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Doggone! It happened again. Guess I'll have to to take the Mavis Beacon speed-typing course, LOL.

Comment

Doggone! It happened again. Guess I'll have to to take the Mavis Beacon speed-typing course, LOL.

Comment

That's right Gord. Only Champion Business coupes (Q body) were sold in '51. (There was a prototype Commander version built) And the Y body, or Land Cruiser, was only available as a Commander.

One sure does learn a lot from this forum...

Matthew Burnette
                    Hazlehurst, Georgia
                    '59 Scotsman PU
                    '63 Daytona HT

Comment

That's right Gord. Only Champion Business coupes (Q body) were sold in '51. (There was a prototype Commander version built) And the Y body, or Land Cruiser, was only available as a Commander.

One sure does learn a lot from this forum...

Matthew Burnette
                      Hazlehurst, Georgia
                      '59 Scotsman PU
                      '63 Daytona HT

Comment

Thanks for all of the replys. I have a 50 Starlite coupe that is pretty well stripped down. I inherited it pretty much that way. I sold the doors and rear fenders a couple of months ago. It is basiclly a frame with a shell and very few interior pieces inside it.

Comment

Thanks for all of the replys. I have a 50 Starlite coupe that is pretty well stripped down. I inherited it pretty much that way. I sold the doors and rear fenders a couple of months ago. It is basiclly a frame with a shell and very few interior pieces inside it.

Comment

Hey...50's are a different animal. Both Commanders and Champions were 6 cylinders. The Commander was a 245 CID 6 and the Champion was a 170 CID 6. Also, there were sheet metal differences between the Champion and Commander models (IIRC). But you could still get a Commander Starlight or a Champion Starlight.

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Hey...50's are a different animal. Both Commanders and Champions were 6 cylinders. The Commander was a 245 CID 6 and the Champion was a 170 CID 6. Also, there were sheet metal differences between the Champion and Commander models (IIRC). But you could still get a Commander Starlight or a Champion Starlight.

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X