This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OUCH! $$$$$$$$

started pricing parts for an engine(259)rebuild today and was stunned at some of the HIGH prices! Why is it cheaper to rebuild a 289, then a 259 [?] I am starting to understand why people go GM.

Dallas,Texas

Where are you shopping for parts? I've found a great variance on prices. You can get a new, NOS 259 crank with shipping for less than $100.00. Pistons and bearings vary so much that it pays to shop around. Machining is local, and shouldn't cost more than any other block at most machine shops. If you do the labor yourself, you should be able to do a 259 for about $1200.00 give or take. That's what I did my last two for (about). I think that's pretty reasonable.

Comment

I'm at $1470 (w/o tax)in parts alone.(no machining yet!)[:0]

Dallas,Texas

Comment

I don't claim to be the sharpest tack in the box, but why would parts for a the 2 motors be so different? When Ted Harbit rebuilt my 259, he sent the block to Muncie to be bored .020 and ordered pistons for that overbore. That did not clean it up, so they went .040, so he sent the .020s back, and ordered .040 over pistons. They turned the crank .010 across, so he had to get bearings for .010 under. I'd think the cam bearings, and most other things would be the same for either motor, since the main difference is the stroke, and the piston heights. I am not familiar as to whether the rods are different, but if yours is good, that is a no play anyway.
        Am I missing something here?[?]

quote:Originally posted by Danarchy

started pricing parts for an engine(259)rebuild today and was stunned at some of the HIGH prices! Why is it cheaper to rebuild a 289, then a 259 [?] I am starting to understand why people go GM.

Dallas,Texas
        Sam Roberts

Comment

Should be same rods, same bearings, same cam bearings, the only real difference is the pistons (same price) and the crank (259 is cheaper, buy NOS instead of machining the crank). Give SASCO a call, and ask for a package price on the parts, then try SI and the guy who is taking over Ted Harbit's business. Somebody can beat that, especially if you offer cash for all of it at once. Wisconsin Studebaker has the cranks for $65.00 + shipping last time I checked. You can reuse your rods if they are not bent or broken, have your machine shop check them for straightness. Same with the pushrods and lifters - may need some resurfacing on the lifters at the most. When the going gets tough, the tough go shopping!

Comment

Whacker's on the beam here. I agree with everything he's said!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President 2-dr
            1955 President State
            1951 Champion Biz cpe
            1963 Daytona project FS
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I rebuilt my Commander 245 six and I seem to remember that the parts were about $900.00 most of which I got from Ted H. Try Fairborn he is who took over Ted's buisness. I know that the 245 is about the most expensive post war Stude engine to rebuild so you should be able to get 259 parts for no more than $900 if you shop wisely. If you price out equal "quality" SBC parts you'll find that the Stude is only $200.00 or so more, which it will take many times that to transplant an SBC. Do it right once and you'll never have to do it again.

Restore it, don't replace it.Keep the Studebaker reproduction industry going

Comment

I recall spending around $850 for parts and machine shop labor to do a Studebaker V8. Rods, mains, cam bearings, rings and a gasket kit. Add $400 for pistons and a bore if needed.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
                64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)
                63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                55 Speedster
                50 2R 10 truck
                JDP Maryland

Comment

I just said I understand why people go GM! I am sticking with the original engine, and may swap out to a 3spd w/OD from the automatic I have now. But I have been pricing differant vendors and I am not seeing the differances y'all speak of. I don't wanna go with aftermarket or none OEM parts, so I may just end up paying more.
                  Did you guys factor in inflation? How long ago did your rebuilds take place? Just curious.

Dallas,Texas

Comment

Danarchy,

If you're worried about money, just think about what I'm doing to a 289....thEn a near stock rebuild will seem cheap.

Custom forged pistons (stonger), add big bucks...
                    Custom rods (stonger), add big b....
                    Lotsa head work, add b b (even though I'm doing most of it!)...
                    Custom intake manifold, money as required...
                    Custom headers, add b b....
                    Tremac 5 speed with steel flywheel and scattershield...

There...that should help make you feel a little better.
                    I'm going to see if I can get my Conestoga into the low 14 sec. or hight 13 second bracket on one carburetor and no nitrus.

Comment

Did my last V8 this winter. Bought the parts from Ted Harbit, now Phil Harris.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
                      64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)
                      63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                      55 Speedster
                      50 2R 10 truck
                      JDP Maryland

Comment

nope, not worried about the money, just surprised at the cost of parts in comparison with a 283 or 327 (same era chevy engine)
                        Actually found a rebuilt 259 locally that I might get for half the price of rebuilding the one in my car! Stude deals are out there, you just gotta talk to some crazy people to find them!

Dallas,Texas

Comment

Yea, your right. Any time you leave the norm...prices go up. I've done a coupla off brand engines in the last few years, so I'm prepaired for the "custom" prices.
                          Just be sure you know or see the work that the shop you use does before you leave the parts and money with'em.

Comment

One must remember that low production volume means higher per piece price. Plus every Joe in the world is building replacement parts for Chevy 350 since the demand is so high but so is supply, so everyone has to make up for the tight margins in the GM arena, so Ford, Mopar and all of us indenpendents are where they make up the margins. It's interesting that most GM engines from the 50's and 60's are much more expensive to rebuild than the SBC. Buick parts are quite high and Cadillac V-8 parts aren't cheap either. Ford Y-Block parts aren't cheap. Of course they're are lots of junk parts for the 350 as well, good ones aren't so cheap.

Restore it, don't replace it.Keep the Studebaker reproduction industry going

Comment

Dan, are you married? Have you discussed with your other half the tranny? She just might appreciate an auto instead of manual. If you are going to exclusively drive the car it's no issue. Remember, a small olive branch goes a long way to marital bliss...

Lotsa Larks!
                              Studeclunker
                              A.K.A: out2lunch
                              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                              Ron Smith
                              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                              X