X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 54 champion OD

Okay guys,
    I just bought a 54 champion, and need OD help

Which position is the cable in when its in OD?

lol, I feel stupid asking, but lol, my first od stude.
    Kent

IN (toward the dash/cowl)
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

thanks. OD dosent work then.....it seems to freewheel, but not kick in or shift...any thoughts?

any tips or instructions on how to use od (or not use it)?

Comment

There's a relay on the firewall that has a fuse visible on the front of it. Check to see that it's not blown and then clean the fingers that hold that fuse as well as the fuse ends for cleanliness as well.
        Have you even looked at the solenoid and the governor on the tranny[?] Do so and check the condition and tightness of the wires associated with them and get back to us.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Kent
          I too have a "new" to me 54 Champion.
          Could be any one of a number of things.
          1st the OD operates above 30 mph on both 2nd and 3rd.
          Assuming you've had it up past that speed; the OD will drop in simply by letting off the gas slightly.
          Have you heard the OD relay "click" under the hood (typically on slowing down to stop?") It's very pronouched loud click?
          If not I would start there. IMO it's the weak link in a 51 year old system like you and I are dealing with.
          The relay is mounted on the drivers side firewall slightly low and inside of the steering column. Silver box with a buse fuse on the exterior.
          The shop manual has a troubleshooting and testing outline for it and I highly recommend getting the manual.
          Check for power to the relay, bad fuse, etc.
          Tough news is replacing it. Units are few and far between generally. I am sure, if it is bad, that someone on the discussion board has one or knows someone who does. There is also a rebuild plan using a solid state relay from Radio Shack out on the net if you feel handy.
          Hope it's a quick fix!
          Dave

"Oh That? It's a STUDEBAKER!!"

Comment

Way back in 1970, zi had just bought my first lark and the OD would not kick in, but I continues to drive it and excercise it, and walla, it started working. Haven't had the same luck since, but it is worth a try. Also, when we tested Jusin's 53 after putting a new OD in, there was no audible clunk, but it definitely engaged.

Gib

Comment

Here's the Borg Warner Manual:
              http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/trans/B...age_04_jpg.htm .
              And the wiring diagram for "54, with OD:
              https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...es/54-wire.jpg .
              Mike M.

Comment

Does anybody have a link to the Radio Shack replacement schematic? I thought I had it bookmarked, but I'm not finding it. Thanks!

Comment

are you looking for this

http://www.studebakerparts.com/stude...ges/relay.html

Paul.

Comment

Thanks, Paul. Just what I needed!

Comment

Kent,
                      Did you get your OD to come to life?

Dave

Comment

Dave, saturday was the first time I really had a chance to get the car on the road. All the OD wiring was intact, but the fuse on the firewal was blown. Put a new fuse in and drove the car down to a classic car drive in at our local dairy queen saturday night. When the OD is engaged, the car seems to free-wheel, but I don't think it shifts, as 45-50 is pushing engine revs.

Not sure what would be causing it to free-wheel, but not shift....

Havent had a chance to tinker with is as yesterday I came down with the stupid strep infection that has been plaguing me for a while.

If anyone has further ideas, let me know, Kent

Comment

Kent, do you have the shop manual? There is a systematic trouble shooting procedure in the manual that will tell you exactly what the problem is. You need a 6 volt light (or a voltmeter) to check for current at various places in order to isolate the problem component. From your description, I would suspect a short in the wiring harness, but that is just a guess. It could also be a non-functioning governor or a failed solenoid. The only way to be sure is to follow the proceedure in the manual. Yes, when the overdrive is on but not working, the transmission will still freewheel.

Comment

Well Kent, I bring this up because mine went out.
                            Monday morning I went out to the garage and warmed her up and took her down to the gas station to fill her up. Something wasn't "right" but I couldn't put my finger on it. I drove her around while I listened and my subconcous worked it out.... AHAH! No click from the relay...no OD.
                            Two hours later, in despiration, I replaced the fuse. It looked OK from the outside but apparently wasn't. Simple fix. I got lucky.
                            Took her out onto the freeway for the first time and put 100 miles on her. Sweet ride at 60 when that OD kicks in! Now way I'd go anywhere at highway speed without it. I know how Justin felt driving his 54 from LA to NY two months ago before he got his OD fixed. [xx(]
                            Dave

Comment

Working...
                            X