This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studeparkers adventure begins

My father just called. He picked up the 51 Champion from the guy at the airport and just started driving to DC (he is a nut). He told me the car gets hot at 50mph but he can get it to cool off if he drives 45mph. The right front wheel locks up before the rest and the front end is a little sloppy. SO, IT LOOKS LIKE WERE SITTING PRETTY, (EEEkkkk). He is going to a radiator shop in Charleston in the morning the have the radiator cored. I told him to have the block cleaned out. I have a new water pump and thermostat that I can put on when I get there. The brakes, he seems to think will "WEAR IN" and be fine. I have never had any luck with a vehicle fixing itself. I will inspect and adjust the brakes. As for the sloppy front end...... I don't know. Any advice on the cooling system? Anything I might be missing?? Thanks again for all the help. This would be more terrifying with out you. Joe

Quick update.. While looking for the radiator shop in Charleston, the car began to run rough. He turn it off the check the "Vitals" all fuild levels were fine and the upper fuel filter (at the carb) was clear. When he went to start the car of cousre, (you all know whats comming) it was hot and would not start. He let it cool off and it started right up but running really rough. He turned it off and last I have heard the wrecker just showed up. And were off!!! I leave on Tuesday so I should have an update for ya'll tomorrow. Stay tuned it is bound to get better.

Comment

joeker writes: "Stay tuned it is bound to get better."

Not necessarily. I really wish you guys the BEST of luck, but I don't know if "adventurous" is the word for taking a totally unknown vehicle (with admittedly pretty paint) off on a grueling trek.[}]
      But hey! If you got the time and the money - no harm, no foul.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The brakes won't wear in, it's likely you have a wheel cylinder problem. I seldom drive a Studebaker out of my yard without new hoses, wheel cylinders and master cylinder and a check of the steel lines. A Studebaker that quits going is nuisance, one the quits stopping is another matter.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
        64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)
        63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
        55 Speedster
        50 2R 10 truck
        JDP Maryland

Comment

Stay tuned it is bound to get better!!! This was said in my very best sarcastic tone. I still have time to get the International to DC if needed. My father is retired and I am a coach. We don't have anywhere to be anytime soon. If the little car does not make the race I will still have a great time driving a 51 Studebaker across the country with my 65 year old father and there is no way to put a price on that. As for now we will have to wait and see. Joeker
          PS. How do I put a picture for you all to see?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by joeker

Stay tuned it is bound to get better!!! This was said in my very best sarcastic tone. I still have time to get the International to DC if needed. My father is retired and I am a coach. We don't have anywhere to be anytime soon. If the little car does not make the race I will still have a great time driving a 51 Studebaker across the country with my 65 year old father and there is no way to put a price on that. As for now we will have to wait and see. Joeker
            PS. How do I put a picture for you all to see?
            Sounds like you guys will be just fine. You've got what it takes to make this work. Time, MONEY, and the right attitude. Enjoy the time with your DAD and keep a good journal. I look forward to riding a long with you. As was seen a few months back there is a wealth of STUDE support along the way, don't be afraid to ask.
            Russ

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
            57 SH (project)
            60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
            53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
            57 SH (project)
            60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Comment

ha ha right on - I give the thumbsup to this trek !!! [8D]

Comment

With a positive attitude, plenty of time and some moola to spare, you can have a good time even if things don't go as hoped.

Sounds like you lucked into a good garage operation. Let's hope dad's luck holds on.

Keep us posted on the progress!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President 2-dr
                  1955 President State
                  1951 Champion Biz cpe
                  1963 Daytona project FS
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

As I wrote on another thread, we saw the Great Race participants heading into Denver yesterday. I looked up the race schedule and saw that July 4 was an "off" day for the race so we went to look for them in Westminster, CO today. They were easy to spot working on their cars in the Westin Hotel parking lot so we parked and walked around. We looked at a lot of nice cars including the 31 President and the 51 Champion.

Certainly the highlight of the day was talking with the Parkers. What a nice couple of guys they are! When I first read this thread some time back my thoughts weren't real flattering but after talking with Joe and his Dad today I've had a change of opinion. These guys seem to be a really balanced team with Dad being the eternal optimist and Joe providing a strong measure of common sense. With five days to go they're still in the race and having a lot of fun. They are serious about it but at the same time understand that they've exceeded any reasonable expectations for the 54 year old car they bought from a picture and entered in this tough race. I wouldn't have done it this way but respect them and what they're doing.

Best of luck guys!

Gerry

Comment

Thanks for the update, Gerry. I wish them all the best. I'm envious of them having the time and the resources to chase dad's dream!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President 2-dr
                      1955 President State
                      1951 Champion Biz cpe
                      1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

I forgot mention that they consider the 51 an ideal car for the Big Race and are talking about fixing it up to compete on a yearly basis.

Gerry

Comment

Working...
                        X