This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full Insurance on my Studebaker

Great news! Thanks to Bill Oliver at Studebaker Parts & Service in Long Beach, I now have full coverage on my Cruiser. I drive mine daily, but also wanted collision and comprehensive. My insurance company was familiar with Studebakers, but wanted an actual cash value placed on the Cruiser. That meant I needed an appraisal. Bill gave me one via fax after I provided him some pictures. I sent that to my insurance carrier and they accepted it. As of today, I have a $500 collision deductable and a $250 comprehensive deductable for a measly $100 additional a year.

I am glad that you got the insurance that you were after. I would like to clarify something for others. The appraisal that you received was from Bill Oliver acting as SDC's Auto Insurance Evaluator, not Bill Oliver as Studebaker Parts & Service. This insurance appraisal service is one of the benefits of being a member of the Studebaker Drivers Club.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gary, you are correct. And Bill did a great job for me--I'd highly recommend him to anyone needing an appraisal.

Comment

Was this through a collector car insurance company or from a standard carrier?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
        Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Gary, how does one access the insurance evaluation service? Where is it mentioned in SDC literature? My insurance co. requests a new appraisal every 5 years.

John

'62 Hawk
          '30 Chev Coach
          sigpicJohn Esmonde
          Holland Landing, Ontario
          Canada
          \'62 Hawk
          \'60 Lark Regal Convertible
          \'30 Chev Coach

Comment

It's a standard carrier. Aplus or California Casualty.

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)

Comment

I found Bill Oliver's number in Turning Wheels. It's listed on the contacts page.

quote:Originally posted by johnesmonde

Gary, how does one access the insurance evaluation service? Where is it mentioned in SDC literature? My insurance co. requests a new appraisal every 5 years.

John

'62 Hawk
              '30 Chev Coach

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 65cruiser

It's a standard carrier. Aplus or California Casualty.

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

Have you checked with a collector car carrier? Many of these policies are dirt cheap and some of these (Hagerty or Grundy for example) do not have mileage limits. My policy on the Daytona is $189 a year (comp only, $5000 agreed value).

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

All collector car carriers limit you in some way. I checked with several of them. If you state in their little questionnaire ANYWHERE that you'll occasionally use the car to run an errand, they won't quote you. They will not necessarily limit your mileage, but they cannot be used as daily drivers. In fact, you can't even drive it to work once in a while (if you read the fine print). They're only to be used for shows, exhibitions, parades, etc. They don't limit your mileage so that you can drive them to a meet that may be 500 miles away. But yes, you do have limits. I think if one day you decide to run down to the local FLAPS and pickup parts, or drive it to work, AND have an accident, you're going to be dropped--OR they'll refuse the claim.

They are so cheap because in their underwriting's minds, the cars are rarely driven.

[/quote]

Have you checked with a collector car carrier? Many of these policies are dirt cheap and some of these (Hagerty or Grundy for example) do not have mileage limits. My policy on the Daytona is $189 a year (comp only, $5000 agreed value).

[/quote]

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by johnesmonde

John

John - The contact information is on page three of every Turning Wheels. It is a free/included service for SDC members.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

insurance on the avanti is with american bankers ins. co. of florida
                      (american collectors ins.). there is a 5,000 mile limitation, not counting trips to car shows, per year. they reevaluate the vehicle every year i have liability, comp.(no deductable) collision(no ded)
                      $25.00 towing and labor and $500.00 spare parts coverage. Cost for this policy is outrageous.....$142.00 per year. the avanti is valued by them at $25,000.00.

Comment

Working...
                      X