This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip time!

A couple of years ago, while working in Ohio, I found a 50 Champion in Kentucky and fell victim to the Stude spell. My plans at the time were to fix it up a bit and drive it back to Colorado with my grandson when the job ended. The job extended significantly so, through the wisdom and guideance of several here I was able to get tne care running well. Unfortunately, when the job did end my grandson was in school so I stored the Stude in Ohio last Sept and flew home.

Now, the sun, moon, stars and everything else except gas prices have positioned themselves just right for our trip. On 6/14 my 11 year old grandson and I will fly to Ohio to wake up the Stude and get started. Our trip is only generally planned, we've no taste for the interstates and we're in no hurry. We do know that our first planned stop is at the Studebaker Museum in South Bend. After that we're thinking of wandering throuth IL, MN, WS, SD and Wy to see and do whatever takes our fancy. All suggestions are welcome!

Over time I've agreed to keep many of the Stude people informed when this finally came down. I will do it here as opportunity permits. Thanks to everyone whose help made this all possible.

Gerry

That's great news gecoe! I'm jealous! [] As for suggestions, it looks like you have the best plan in the world, how can a fella improve on that? I suggest that you do as you plan, just take your time and enjoy! Please do keep us up to date, when you can. You can bet that I'll be waitng to hear every detail. Good luck, God speed.

Sonny
    http://RacingStudebakers.com
    Sonny
    http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Sounds like a fun trip...
      (You have had the car prepped for a long trip, right?)
      Brakes, wheel bearings, generator, water pump, etc...)

Since you are going to South Bend, I would strongly suggest a stop at Auburn, Indiana and go see two museums (on the same property)..
      The ACD (Auburn/Cord/Deusenburg) museum is a world class museum that will take your breath away.

http://www.acdmuseum.org/

And right behind it is the musty National American Truck Museum

http://www.natmus.com/

It, too, is a neat museum. Auburn is about 65 miles east of South Bend, but is just a slight deviation heading to South Bend...
      Well worth the stop.....
      Jeff[8D]

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
      '37 Coupe Express
      '37 Coupe Express Trailer
      '61 Hawk
      http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Gerry,

I hope your journey turns out to be as much fun as we've speculated over the past couple years. I'm gonna confess, right up front, that I'm envious, Gerry![:I]
        I've sold Gerry numerous parts over the past couple years and helped as much as I could when he had questions of a technical or performance nature about his Champion. At one point I retrieved a crossmember from a Fresno wrecking yard to make Gerry's Champion a bit better car. While I've never seen his car firsthand, I'm betting it's really in FINE shape for the trip, given the many points and details we've discussed over time!
        As much as today's impatient traffic will allow - this two-lane, generally western-pointed wandering should be a great bonding between you and the grandson, Gerry. Please come here and share some tidbits of the trek when you get a chance. And how about a picture of the two of you with the Champion[?] Get it to me and I'll see that we get to view it. Have a great trip, eh?

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks for the well wishes and suggestions for additional stops.

With one exception the car is as prepared as I know how to make it. On the way to the storage garage last Sept. the OD wouldn't engage although I had it working well previously. I had no time to check it out then but suspect (hope) it's nothing major. I'll have to tackle that problem before we leave.

Mr. Biggs, you've been a tremendous help in the past and are coming through again. I've been trying to figure out how I could post a picture or two so I'll take you up on your offer.

Gerry

Comment

Gerry, I'm sending you my cellphone #. I'll be your "hotline" if you need help along the way. Maybe some folks along your general route from Ohio to Colorado will throw in if it turns out you need a hand (or maybe a Stude-friendly iced tea stop along the way!)at some point.
            We helped Justin a bit as he crossed the US a few months back. What's the use of us just sitting back and wondering if you made it or not[?] More fun to ride along vicariously and pitch in if a snag occurs.[B)]
            Don't HESITATE to call me if you end up stalled somewhere!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President 2-dr
            1955 President State
            1951 Champion Biz cpe
            1963 Daytona project FS
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

If passing through Minneapolis-St. Paul, I'll be happy to lend any assistance possible. Good luck!

-BShaw
              Webmaster
              60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
              sigpic
              Bob Shaw
              Rush City, Minnesota
              1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
              "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

This is going to be fun. Great way to bond and build lasting memories and another youth to get hooked on Studes and keep the interest in Studes alive! I'm 32 and my dad (who is 62) is the one that got me hooked on Studes thru telling me the stories. That's all my grandfather would drive. The families first new car ever was a 1950 2 door champ the last was a 57 golden hawk with 3 others in between. After 57 grandpa switched to ramblers. (not sure why) The reason i think what your doing is so cool is i've always wanted to & will (fingers-crossed) retrace my dads trip to California in 1950 with him in our current 50 champ 2 door. The only way it would make it now is on a trailer but the day is coming! Have fun!!!

My Studes:
                1.1947 Commander 14A-C3
                2.1948 Champion 2 door sedan (parts car)
                3.1948 Champion 2 door sedan
                4.1950 Champion 2 door sedan
                5.1959 Lark 2 door post
                6.1964 Stude challenger 2 door

Comment

gecoe: Also, if you're in the Twin Cities next weekend, 17th-19th, it's the Minnesota Street Rod Ass'n Back To The Fifties Weekend. More than 10,000 streetrods will be at our shady fairgrounds that weekend. Stude-watching? Well, there'll be some, but you'll walk 10+ miles to find 'em. And there'll be at least one stock 1960 Hawk among them.

-BShaw
                  Webmaster
                  60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
                  sigpic
                  Bob Shaw
                  Rush City, Minnesota
                  1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
                  "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

Northeast Indiana near Ft. Wayne if you need anything. 375-2011 and the AC is 260.

quote:Originally posted by gecoe

With one exception the car is as prepared as I know how to make it. On the way to the storage garage last Sept. the OD wouldn't engage although I had it working well previously. I had no time to check it out then but suspect (hope) it's nothing major. I'll have to tackle that problem before we leave.

Mr. Biggs, you've been a tremendous help in the past and are coming through again. I've been trying to figure out how I could post a picture or two so I'll take you up on your offer.

Gerry
                    Sam Roberts

Comment

You might want to read the recent thread by Jason as he traveled from the west coast back to New York. He also had problems with his OD and it was more work to fix that just some wiring. Leave yourself some extra time to troubleshoot that, because you'll wish you had that OD if it's not working.

quote:Originally posted by gecoe

Comment

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I followed Justin's adventures closely since our own road trip was coming up soon. I do anticipate issues along the way but hope to experience a lot less of them than he did.

Mr. Biggs, as always I appreciate your offer of support. Bshaw, thanks for the offer and info. I was kind of hoping to be in St. Paul for the 50's weekend but doubt we'll be there that soon. Sam, I've got your number, thanks.

I thought that there was a way to print the SDC roster but can't seem to find it. Does anyone know if it can be done? I thought it would fit nicely in the survival kit with my cell phone, AAA card and Mr. Biggs's number.

Gerry

Comment

The SDC Roster is available in a printed form. That is what I use. With your schedule, maybe you could pay to have it overnighted to the Ohio address where the car is.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

well, we got into Findlay, Ohio yesterday and went to get the Stude. It's the first time my grandson has seen it in person and he's awestruck. The guy that stored it for me had already taken it out of storage and cleaned it up for us so all we had to do was dive under the hood and check things out. The OD issue was easily resolved. The relay had gone south so we replaced it with one I had found and fixed up a while back and brought along just in case. OD works great now so we'll be taking a short trip to check everything else out.

We've come to our first major decision of the trip. Naturally, we're anxious to be on our way but the annual cruise night here is Sat. and we're tempted to hang around for it since it's quite big. I went to it last year and if there was another Stude there I couldn't find it. It seems like there should be at least one.

More to come......

Gerry

Comment

Hey-HO!!! Alright Gerry! Glad to hear it was a simple fix on the OD.
                              So the kid was impressed by the car - that's cool. By gosh - if you've got the time and you can "hang out" until the car night, I would. I'll bet grandson might be impressed with the way the Stude's recieved.
                              Keep us posted

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe
                              1957 President 2-dr
                              1955 President State
                              1951 Champion Biz cpe
                              1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Working...
                              X