Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When talking about dealers, there are 3 I think about. First is Walt Anderson Motors in Boise, Id. In late '57 I bought a '56 used Golden Hawk. That was my first Stude. I still have a sales brochure for the '57 Hawks from that dealer. Then there was a small dealer in Nampa, Id. that I got my '58 Silver Hawk. The third dealer was Wm. J Sweeney & Sons on mission st. in Daly City, Ca. I wonder if anyone out there remembers any of these and what the name of the Nampa, Id. dealer was? [?] Forgot to take my memory pills

Comment

Was wondering if anyone knew anything about the J.H. Adams Studebaker dealership probably located in the Pasadena/Alhambra area near Los Angeles? His son, Bill Adams, was my father who was a salesman at the dealership (as well as at least one other in the area) after WWII. As a side note, my father met my mother when he delivered a loaner Studebaker convertible from the J.H. Adams dealership to be used by the city of Alhambra for a parade. Turned out that my mother was one of two former Alhambra beauty queens (she also finished 3rd in the 1949 Miss California Pageant) assigned to ride in the Studebaker. I've supplied a link below to a picture of my mother riding in the parade in that Studebaker convertible (she's on the right) with the J.H. Adams Studebaker dealership name attached to the side of the car. There is also a picture of my parents standing next to their Studebaker as they are leaving on their honeymoon in 1949. This is about all I know of the dealership and would appreciate hearing from anyone who may know more.

http://community.webshots.com/user/takenitslo

Comment

Bill: Great photos! Do you have any idea who is driving the Champion convertible in the parade? [?] BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

One of the dealers in Baltimore, MD was Schwing Motors. Freddie Schwing, the son of the owner, dated my older sister in the late 1950s. I was always glad to see him come to the house because he drove the coolest car - a two-tone green '53 Starliner. I must have been 13 or 14 at the time, but I was hooked on Studebakers. My sister soon dropped him for someone else. I wonder what ever became of ol' Freddie and his father's dealership?

Gary Ash
          Dartmouth, MA
          '48 M5
          '65 Wagonaire Commander
          '63 Wagonaire Standard
          www.studegarage.com
          Gary Ash
          Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
          ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
          '48 M5
          '65 Wagonaire Commander
          '63 Wagonaire Standard
          web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

I couldn't field a guess at Freddie's fate, Gary - but I'll bet Dad ain't selling Studebakers anymore![:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President 2-dr
            1955 President State
            1951 Champion Biz cpe
            1963 Daytona project FS
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BeeJay

Bought my first "53 used from Henry Moss and Sons in Detroit. They were on Livernois near Ewald Circle. That was in '55.
              I actually worked at that dealership in 1985 as a service writer when it was Dick Harris Cadillac. Unfortunately it was torn down 10-15 years ago to build a Walgreen's.

NM Dude's recollection of Renger's on Chalmer's facinates me because the area hasn't changed and I can't place where this dealer was located. I know after the little article from the Oakland Press showing the remains of the painted Studebaker sign on the former Davis Motors in Rochester, MI that this is currently an ice cream store.

I'm also interested in hearing more about Capitol Motors in Sacramento. My Daytona was delivered to N. Sacramento at delivery but I'm unsure of the dealership. Was there any other dealers in that area?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
              Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
              LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
              Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Renger`s Sales & Service was located at 10210 Chalmers, Detroit. I moved to New Mexico in 1970, and have no idea what is at that location today. On March 17, 1966, I took delivery of a new `66 Daytona Sport Sedan at Renger`s. V-8, automatic, Mount Royal Red, black vinyl top, white interior. Sticker price was $3,037, I paid $2,058. Stii have the bill of sale, wish I still had the car.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by nm dude

Renger`s Sales & Service was located at 10210 Chalmers, Detroit. I moved to New Mexico in 1970, and have no idea what is at that location today. On March 17, 1966, I took delivery of a new `66 Daytona Sport Sedan at Renger`s. V-8, automatic, Mount Royal Red, black vinyl top, white interior. Sticker price was $3,037, I paid $2,058. Stii have the bill of sale, wish I still had the car.
                  On my next trip back I'll get a picture of whatever's there .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bill Pressler

Detweiler's was in Uniontown, not Washington. Sorry for the oops!

Bill
                    YEP....you are correct!
                    I just sold the "original" Daytona "repurchased" by the Detweiler grandson (featured in TW) with 25,000 miles to a "corporate collector" here in Atlanta-now that car will be preserved for all to see that visit his collections. (he also has an Avanti!)

That Daytona was so new that I was getting nervous that my insurance coverage should have been doubled! I was correct according to the first offer out of the mouth of the collector I think that in the future we will see the value of our cars escalate quite considerably. JP has remarked that we (Stude owners) are too cheap-don't be afraid to ASK YOUR PRICE.

Comment

I'm also interested in hearing more about Capitol Motors in Sacramento. My Daytona was delivered to N. Sacramento at delivery but I'm unsure of the dealership. Was there any other dealers in that area?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Tom - Lakeland, FL

There was French's Studebaker Dealership in Florin CA just 10 miles south of Sacramento..
                      I bought their '56 Transtar shop truck from the owners son about 4 years ago ...I'm still trying to get more info, pics and relics from him about the dealership. It was small store doing mostly car repair.

Also my grandfather sold Studebakers '58 thru '59 at a small dealership in Salem, Ohio.
                      I can't remember the name of it .. I think they also sold Packards .. as a kid I remember it was next to a bowling alley on State St in Salem .. and it had a service garage above it . where on the weekends while he was selling new cars on the first floor I was playing in the used cars parked in the upper floor ... then he moved on to sell Edsels in 1960 ... before selling cars he worked at the Mullins plant making fenders for Pierce Arrows .. wish I had saved the pics and the stuff he had before he passed. I had many promo cars he had given me over the years that I felt I had to cut up an customize ... I even had a 55 T Bird Jr from when he sold Fords..

this is my first post so excuse me if i did it wrong
                      John
                      John
                      Folsom CA

"Lone Dog ... No Woof"

www.cruisinnews.com

www.SacramentoSwapMeet.com

Comment

Crowley, LA had a dealership called Moore and Stossel. I'll try to dig up some info on it. Kevin in the Stoogebaker

1963 Champ

Comment

Does anyone know if the museum can track what dealers sold what cars? I would think for warranty purposes that Studebaker would have tracked the new car transaction for in-service dates, etc.

Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Just a little info on two dealerships in east central Wisconsin. When I was small (if that was ever possible) in the early '50s the local dealership was Markel Motors--my dad bought his first Stoodie there, a 1942 Champion purchased in 1947. I still have a plastic windshield scraper or two with the dealer's name on the handle. By the early '50s Markel Motors was gone and replaced by Marshall Sales and Service--a father son operation with perhaps two other mechanics and a bookkeeper. My dad bought two new Studes from them (and a new '51 Champion from Markel Motors). Marshall's also sold Mercedes Benz autos and in the early '60s the son (Dick Marshall) and his wife were killed when their Mercedes skidded on ice covered roads. After retirement the father (Gordon) lost his life in a boating/fishing accident (drowned). My first Stude, purchased from Marshall's, was a '54 Loewy/Burke coupe. The only other significant (to me) auto at Marshall's from those years was a '58 Packard Hawk sitting on their used car lot in about 1960. By 1970 or so Marshall Sales and Service was gone, although the small building exists to this day and is, I believe, an appliance sales and service enterprise.

Comment

Do any of you folks in the great Pacific Northwest recall the name of the Everett, WA dealership? I remember going there with my dad to have our 39 Commander serviced.

53 Commander Hardtop
                              64 Champ 1/2 ton
                              WA state
                              Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                              50 Champion 2 door*
                              53 Commander K Auto*
                              53 Commander K overdrive*
                              55 President Speedster
                              62 GT 4Speed*
                              63 Avanti R1*
                              64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

I remember our local Studebaker dealer ship well,it was Haubert and Scheafer in Mexico Pa. My dad bought several new stude there,52 champion,55 champion ,59 v-8 wagon. I was about 10 years old when we got the wagon and remember the day we picked it up at the dealership The shiny black paint,bright red interior and that new car smell ,boy that is a memory that lasts. In 1968 I spent my summer off from college working in Berwick Pa. at the Agway Farm Supply store in Nescopeck Pa just accross the river from Berwick.The local Studebaker dealer was Brown Motors and they must have been very good at selling studebakers because they seemed to be all over town. I remember lots of 63 green larks and 63,64 rosemist larks . There seemed to be a lot of GT hawks also,62/63/ and at least 3 64 hawks I can remember and a couple Avantis in town.Boy it seemed like heaven to be surrounded by all those Studes.Brown Motors had a 63 Avanti in the show room for sale for 4800. It was nice,lo milage,R1 white,dont remember interior.They had a 64 powershift hawk and 64 4-speed Daytona outside on the lot,both cars were real nice too.I bought my 62 GT at the Buick dealer in berwick about a week after I got to town,I traded my 60 hawk in on it and they only had it about a week and someone snapped it up.Ionly had my GT about a month when one night Iwas cruising town when one of those green larks pulled up along side of me and challenged me to race him title for title.My first thought was Why would I want his dumpy 2 door lark?.He said all he had was a 259 stick shift and that my 289 4 barrel would be an even match for him.Something told me all was not right and I declined their offer to drag race.Turns out he had apretty good scam going that he pulled on several people.He would say Meet me at such an such street in a couple minutes. In those couple minets he would switch cars and show to race with an identical 63,2door,stick shift,green lark except this one was an R-2 package car with all badges removed,a real FRIED GREEN TOMATO.The local racers soon got wise to him and he mostly had to pull it on greenhorn new to town.Would sure like to have seen some of those races,the look on their faces when they were dusted off by a green dumpy lark.
                                NEIL G.

Comment

Working...
                                X