This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1951 business coupe

I need opinions....whether to restore my '51 coupe to the original color, or can I paint it a color my wife prefers. when my son was nine we were hit on the right front by a careless kid waving to his friends which caused him to drift across the lane and into us. Broke the windshield with my head(holding my son back with my right arm), but no permenant damage (my wife might argue)..and of course we had to replace the hood and right front fender, the grill and bumper etc. The outfit that did the repairs (1980) didn't fit the new hood and fender very well so I have work to do there. The bottom line is I don't care about collectiblity as we will keep this car, but do I affect it's resale value for my descendants if I paint it other than the stock color?...the 1980 paint job is already fading!

If it is not a museum piece, and it doesn't seem to be, paint it the color you like. The next owner can do a "frame off" if they are wanting to go all orginal. In the mean time, enjoy the car!

53commander HDTP
    53 Champion HDTP
    61 Cursed Purple Hawk
    64 Champ long bed V8
    64 GT
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

What about painting it another available 1951 color? That way, it would at least be authentic. I'm sure a lot of colors were available in 1951.

Comment

Paint it the color you (or your wife) likes. Paint goes on - paint comes off. No biggie[)]. With a car as outrageous as a bulletnose, a funky color might even be an asset when it comes time to sell. And if you've had this thing for 25+ years, it doesn't sound like you're out to make a quick buck!
        I have a 51 Biz coupe myself. Someday, when I get around to reconstructing it, it's gonna be a peach color instead of the pea soup green it started life as.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone...I will let my wife pick the color...I kind of figured that since the hood and fender etc had been replaced it wouldn't be completely stock anyway...
          Another couple of questions:where can I find a template for the business coupe platform across the back? Does anyone know of a site that gives instructions for replacing the windshield and back window rubbers? I've seen it done, but could use a "refresher" on the technique.
          Should I convert to 12volt? The 6volt system works fine, but I'm told there are advantages....
          Where can I buy decent white side-wall tires that fit?
          Thanks again for your help, any input is appreciated.

Comment

p.s. I showed my wife the 1951 color chips and she likes "black cherry"....any advice there? have you seen that color in person?

Comment

Guess you already have a colour picked,so I won't comment on that.
              What Id do is Id go see someone who owns a 47-52 business coupe,get right in there behind the seat and make yourself a template out of cardboard.
              About the six volt system,personally I wouldn't change a thing.These cars were used year around in very cold climates and 6-volts is all they needed to start them then,so why not now?In a six volt system its very important to have the right size(00)heavy battery cables,and all connections must be clean and tight.Then you will have no problems with the electrical system.If you choose to convert to 12 volts,like if you wanted to add a modern stereo or something,you will have to install a step down transformer so you don't burn out your instruments,and change all your light bulbs.The six volt starter will be OK but it will really spin on 12 volts.
              Its really alot of trouble for very few advantages.Don't forget the six volt systems are positive ground whereas 12 volts would have to be negative ground.
              Robert Black
              62 Daytona Hardtop
              60 Hamilton Hawk
              56 Transtar

Comment

Black Cherry is a nice color, judging by the color chips I have. Especially if your wife also likes the color, I think Black Cherry would be an excellent choice.
                quote:Originally posted by stephenm

p.s. I showed my wife the 1951 color chips and she likes "black cherry"....any advice there? have you seen that color in person?

Comment

Robert's made a pretty good argument for keeping the 6 volt system. If it's in good shape (everything - not just the generator and starter), it'll serve you just fine. The only reason to go 12 would be that you wanna run modern accessories on the car and that's certainly understandable.
                  If you do go to 12, there's voltage regulators you can buy to drop the voltage for the instruments. And a 12 volt OD relay and solenoid is easy enough to find from a 56 -57 Studebaker.

The Black Cherry is pretty, but something as personal as color should be judged by the person that's gonna have to live with it. Since we live in a HOT climate, I'd avoid dark colors for our cars so that I can touch them during the daytime![:0]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President 2-dr
                  1955 President State
                  1951 Champion Biz cpe
                  1963 Daytona project FS
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Black Cherry is a real pretty a maroon, almost black. It was not supposed to be a option on your car, but I'm sure the factory would have done it if pushed.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
                    64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)
                    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                    55 Speedster
                    50 2R 10 truck
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

Hey Stephen,

I painted my '50 Starlight Coupe a bright Porsche Red (a red-orange color) and I've had only very positive comments for the past 10 years (and 6,000 local car show miles) that we've driven it. So, as most others say ... paint it as you'd like and enjoy it.

It put in all new wiring 10 years ago & have maintained the 6 volt system. I believe that the secret to quick starting & bright lighting is good bonding with braided straps.

Good luck,

StudeBakerHarv
                      StudeBakerHarv
                      * 1950 Champion Starlight Coupe (Cathcart Stg 4 Engine)
                      * 1971 Avanti II (RQB-1659).

Comment

Yeah paint it whatever colour you would like, the next owner can simply redo the paint. So long as you don't chop up that rare body style it's all good ...

mine is painted '72 Ford Green colour, it's fairly close to original but not exact. [8D]

Comment

Stephen,
                          The fact that your wife is interested in the color and the car is a plus for you. Black Cherry is beautiful.
                          The most important thing to remember is that the car belongs to you and you can do whatever you wish with it. The body style is gorgeous and you'll really enjoy driving a nice, newly painted, shiny Stude.
                          As far as keeping the 6 volt system, you've already received some good advice. Personally, I wouldn't change it unless you were adding a lot of power-robbing accessories. A normal AM/FM stereo radio wouldn't draw too much power from your 6 volt system as long as it's in good shape.
                          As for my car, It's a '59 Lark Regal Hardtop, which was originally Tahiti Coral. When it was repainted by the previous owner, it was painted in Mary Kay Cadillac pink. It looks great, close to the coral color and it gets a lot of positive comments. Especially from women.
                          Best of luck.
                          Rog
                          '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                          Smithtown,NY
                          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Working...
                          X