X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jcstude
    replied
    All, thanks for the lively and informative discussion. Lots of great info and advice, thanks. Yes, I've heard many Big Six stories and if half of them are true it is truly a bullet proof design and perfect for truck duty....max torque just above idle is a real plus!! The most important factor in this dream of mine wasn't mentioned....my wife regards my Silver Hawk as 'the other woman'. Can't imagine the reaction if I brought a 'project truck' home without the lottery money to fix it and pay her off!!!

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    Yeah, I actualy looked at the engine myself. It had cracked along the left side of the cylinder head. I told the guy I could find a good head for the engine, but of course, the SBC had been in the truck for a couple years at that point.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS

Leave a comment:

• Transtar56
    replied
    That sure wasn't the engines fault that they let it freeze up,probaly never would have killed that old brute.
    And I bet that at the time it froze it could have been welded and saved,seen many formly frozen and cracked blocks give years of service.

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    I know of a '54 here locally that had that BIG6 3spdO/D driveline in it. The same guy's owned it for decades now. And it's now got an SBC for motive power.
    Still, if you ask the owner about it, he'll yak your ear off a-braggin' on that Big 6 engine and how well it served him for years & years. He and his son drove that thing all over the west and kept expecting that the 6 surely would die someday. Yet, it refused to do so and just kept doing whatever was asked of it, without faltering or failing. Quite often towing a load in the process as well![:0]
    The 6's undoing came about thru a miscommunication between dad and son. The truck found itself in the mountains one cold fall day - without adequate anti-freeze[V] Said engine still sits in a chicken shed out back. The old guy ain't got the heart to dispose of it - and I've told him I'd recieve it if he decided he wanted to part with it. That 3spd O/D tranny is certainly worth saving if nothing else.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS

Leave a comment:

• Studedude
    replied
    quote:[i]
    Always look for a truck thats led a realative easy life too,like that grape hauler JP's got on E-Bay right now.
    If a fellow was interested in a C cab, and didn't mind the "6", it would be silly to pass on this one. Really silly.

Leave a comment:

• studeclunker
    replied
    I know what you mean about Mum Nature Mr. Biggs. She is really working on reposessing both of my Champs. The comments that people make about the Champ when I take it out on it's rare excursions are well worth the work to get it running and keep it there.[:I]

Lotsa Larks!
    Studeclunker
    A.K.A: out2lunch

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    The R, 2R and 3R series trucks were designed by Robert (Bob) Bourke. I believe that the E series revision was done by Robert Doehler. I don't think any other major truck manufacturer had a model with no external running boards in 1949. The R prototype looked better than the 2R, but manufacturing wouldn't make the R.

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    Body rust is really the only issue (well - collision damage too[B)]). The rear cab corners, the floorpans, the fenders. One that's been sitting awhile will likely have rustout along the front edge of the bed floor. The front springs wilt under the weight of the engine and the truck develops a "rake" that makes rainwater collect at the front of the bed - until Ma Nature tries to reclaim her elements!
    Look too, for broken lower hinge pins. The doors will close a bit sloppy, but close still. But the doors will be really "rattley" when you're driving. Of course, this can be fixed.
    The C-cab is really the only postwar Stude truck that was designed as a truck from the start. The M-series and T-cabs borrowed from cars to come to be. It is, a good-looking design. And it STAYED good-looking against all contenders thru the cab's whole lifespan![:0]

Lew - I know you're in California. I've got a "lead" on a whole gaggle of C-cabs here in the valley. One day soon, I'm gonna take a trip to the mountains to see for myself. Maybe I'll find you something to work with!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS

Leave a comment:

• Transtar56
    replied
    Yes,in a word,RUST.The worst areas are the cab corners(bottom of back of cab,really hard to fix),edges of hood and tailgate,and of course the floor.Ive also seen C-Cabs with totaly rusted out dashes,the open design may make it easy to work on the intruments and wiring,but this area is a beacon for dirt,mud,leaves etc,to gather and rust.The dash IS the firewall in these trucks also,so if you have a rusty enough dash you can look right through and keep an eye on your engine(G)This is another area thats really tough to fix,it can be done,but its not easy.
    Always look for a truck thats led a realative easy life too,like that grape hauler JP's got on E-Bay right now.Most of these old trucks were used and abused,hard.An old farm truck might have dents in every panel,they can all be fixed,but again it takes much time and skill.I wouldn't worry about the rear fenders to much because there are excellent fiberglass replacements available,that look great,and whos gonna know the difference once its painted.Its really hard to fix a badly bent up grille,and tailgate rust is another problem thats hard to fix,due to the rust being along the edge.
    I certainly prefer a V-8(because I just love the Stude V-8)but the little six(Champion)powered trucks feel suprisingly peppy,(do to rear axel gearing)up till about 55 mph,where they begin to feel strained.With OD you may be very happy with one so equipped.
    These trucks also came with another engine,the"big"Commander six,245 cu in.While this is a much older design and parts are harder to come by,its a very solid and proven engine with much more torque than the Champ.If you can find one with this engine,I would not even consider changing to a V-8.Remember its not just swapping in a V-8 engine,you'll need to up grade the brakes too.
    Mr. Biggs is a real expert on these trucks and He'll be able to give you lots more pointers,but Id say look for one thats not to rusty and beat up,and of course finding one in your own State beats shipping one across the country.So watch E-Bay,ask other SDC members to watch for you,and keep your puter tuned to this station,theirs one out there with your name on it,you just have to find it.
    I specifically wanted a 56 SWB because of two reasons,Im also a 56,and its the one year where they used the classy four slot steel grille and the opening in the hood for the big chrome STUDEBAKER letters.
    Actually I belive it was Bob Bourqe who designed the C-Cab,the same guy who designed the 53 C/K,so its not much wonder these trucks look so darn good.
    Park one next to a 56 Dodge truck,it will look like Beauty and the beast.

Leave a comment:

• jcstude
    replied
    Bob and Bob, thanks for the driver's seat perspective on Stude trucks. I don't know who designed the C-cab but he had a brilliant concept and the style looks modern even today. If you look at the Dodge Durangos of a few years back, you can see a C-cab influence. My dream is either to win the lottery and buy a fully restored to original truck or get a nice straight driver with a 170 six and swap my spare 259 in it with 3spd OD. Any advice on what to look for or steer away from when selecting a C-cab?

Lew in Escondido, CA

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    Robert's summed it up pretty good. My Transtar's a long wheelbase one (8ft bed) and I believe they ride a bit better than the short beds. Be realistic in your considerations tho. We're talking solid front axle and four leaf springs. It's NOT gonna come close to a "Cowboy Cadillac" of today as far as ride goes.[}] I use mine as a real truck, not a show toy. I drive it on long jaunts (took it to South Bend in '97) and don't feel "spent" when the drive's over.[^]
    Like Robert says - in spite of all the Studes I've driven over the years, the damned truck draws the most attention and praise.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS

Leave a comment:

• Transtar56
    replied
    Yes,I have a 56,you can see the pics of it in my Webshots,I screwed up somehow and doubled many pictures,but if you wait long enough I think they all will come out.Ill be sending a few pics to Mr Biggs to post for me(Thanks Bob)
    As for the truck,mine was changed by some previous owner to a 63 259 rather than the 224 it would have come with,but its an E-112,it always was a V-8 truck,short wheelbase.Its got the 56 transmission with the OD which Ive yet to solve,but with the help of some of you(Mr Biggs)well get her straightend out.It runs fantastic,even though I believe theres quite a few miles on the engine as its quite loose,but has good compression,dosen't smoke,and as Sonny says,runs like a bear.As for the ride,its pretty much like any StudebakerC-Cab,their real trucks.But the only Stude truck I owned previous to this one had the little Champion six,and I swear that thing rode better than any old truck I was ever in,and Ive tried most as my Dad used to restore I-H and still owns a nice 52.In that thing you can feel the shadows on the road.My 56 is sort of in between,stiff,but no worse than any old Chevy or Ford of this vintage,and way better than a I-H or Dodge.
    Actually,its a hoot to drive on old back country roads where your in no hurray,even though it runs at 70 mph WITHOUT the OD,the engies turning pretty high,but it seems like it could do it all day long.I will get the OD fixed right away though.
    Remember these old trucks steer and handel like old trucks,so alot of speed on winding roads are not at there best.Just take your time,your dog,and sit back and enjoy the scenery.And more people will be attracted to that old truck with those big STUDEBAKER letters on the tailgate than they are to a 57 Golden Hawk.EVERYBODY thinks Stude trucks are so cool because their so rarely seen,and look so great.Lots of folks around here don't even know Studebaker built trucks.They are rare here.

Leave a comment:

• jcstude
    replied
    Bob, If your screen name is any indication, I'd say you have or had a 56 Transtar at some point. I had the chance to buy one but my wife voted 'no' and she is the majority. If you have/had one, what are the pros and cons of that model? I like the idea of a stock 12volt system and the V8 is bulletproof. Heard the ride is rather harsh. Parts for brakes, etc. easy to get and not expensive?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Lew in Escondido, CA

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    Welcome back, Robert! Send me a photo and I'll put it up for awhile.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Glad to be back

Glad to be back

Hi again.I couldn't get back in for awhile because I forgot both my name and password,and it kept telling me that E-mail address is already in use.Some days its easy enough to forget your name(G)
    Im just about to jump in my 60 Hawk for a 70 mile blast over to Dianes and get my bike.Its the first "summer" weve had.
    But then agin I AM having so much fun driving the Hawk I may wait another day.
    Its still got a lot of little things to do and one major one,it needs a new headliner.Im not takling that now.Just spent mucho bucks on the Hawk getting her this far,and cutomizing my H_D(another story).If I don't quit soon I won't be able to go nowhere and summers just starting.(G)
    Actually Diane and I are leaving in about a week for a trip through the Sky Line Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway on the Harley.In July were planning on taking the Hawk to Newfoundland and Labrador,now THAT should be interesting!!Ill try to figure out how to post a pic of the Hawk.
Working...
X