This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golde Hawk fire

Those of you that know Bondo Bill will find this post from the Studebaker News group sad.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This am on the way to Long Island Car Show, we were 1/2 the way there when the car started shake and we started to smell "something". We we southbound on the Cross Island Parkway. I fugued that in a quarter or 1/2 mile when the Cross Island Becomes the Southern State I could pull over.. We made the turn, and as I turned on to the Southern State, there was a load explosion, and flames "licking" at my door.

Ellen and I bailed on the right side, and I disconnected the battery We called the 911, and because we were on the "cusp" of NYC and Nassau county both Valley Stream an NYC responded, along with a flock of State Troopers as their station were 300 feet up the road.

We are not sure if the shoes over heated the vibration, or a hose broke and sprayed fluid on exhaust or both.

The paint on the car is completely gone on the left fin, the left fender, and the left windows are totally discolored

The trunk, roof, rear quarter and door will need a repaint.

I DO NEED REALLY FAST, A LEFT 56J FIN, that is the only part that will need replacing. IF YOU HAVE A 56J Left fin let me know ASAP

Thanks Much

Bill Glass
    914 681-0855
    914 761-5788
    914 649-1989 cell

Thanks photos to follow

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    55 Speedster
    50 2R 10 truck

Bill's naming of that car: "The Hawk From Hell" seems apt at this point. Wish I had a fin lying around.[V]

Miscreant at large.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Sorry to hear about Bill and Ellen's misfortune. Any place is bad, but that is a terrible area to have to find a place to pull off the road. On the plus side, I think that he is lucky that he did not lose the entire car. I guess that one benefit of where he was is that he got quick response. Has the exact cause been determined?
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Looks like a rear brake issue, but I can't picture how it did the damage it did. He swapped the rear tires and drove home on the front brakes. (Dual MC conversion)

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
        64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)
        63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
        55 Speedster
        50 2R 10 truck
        JDP Maryland

Comment

Damn shame I'd say. Just very glad that Bill and Ellen escaped damaging themselves.

Sonny
          http://RacingStudebakers.com
          Sonny
          http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Anybody got any pictures?[:0]

Comment

Those little powder extinguishers don't look such a bad idea. I'm definitely spending a couple of $$ on that type of damage minimization for my classics.
              / H

Comment

I carry a Halon bottle in my car, almost thought I'd have to use it yesterday. I'd swapped my fuel pump for one from a Golden Hawk with the little fitting on top, I didn't have a pipe plug the right size, and I figured that it would be OK just for a quick test drive without it. Well earlier in the day I'd had my oil pressure hose blow and apparently I'd topped up the oil too far (got to check those drainback passages) and when I got on it going up a long hill it started pumping oil into the top of the fuel pump and out that hole and onto my driver's side exhaust! Fortunately (?) I hadn't stopped up all the holes in the firewall yet and saw the smoke instantly and pulled over to let it cool off. Fortunately it never got beyond the blue smoke stage... guess I have something to do next weekend! (that's only the second time in one day that I managed to blow oil all over my engine compartment... geez, I hope this isn't a trend...)

On the upside my new Chrysler electronic ignition seems to be working well and hopefully the new fuel pump will solve my fuel starvation problems. One of these days I'll actually be able to drive the darn thing!

Anyway I am a big believer in carrying a fire extinguisher; way better to have it and not need it than to be standing by the side of the road throwing dirt on your engine in an attempt to keep things under control.

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                62 Daytona hardtop
                http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
                --
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I don't carry fire extinguishers. I suppose I ought to. In fact, I'd made a habit of it back in the 70s but I got tired of being a "good samaritan" to some stranded sort (I remember coming to the "rescue" of a couple of cowering old ladies as they watched their VW belch smoke) and never getting any recompense for the spent fire extinguisher![xx(]

I WILL add one word of caution tho. I once watched a neighbor respond with panic as his Dodge backfired and started to burn. With smoke billowing from the wheel wells and out the grille, he grabbed a hose off the front lawn and proceeded to gingerly pop the hood. The rush of flame that shot out from under the opening hood, burned his hands and removed all the hair from his arms and face.
                  Stop and think - about what's gonna greet you when you lift that hood!!![8]

Can you still buy fresh Halon extinguishers???

Miscreant at large.
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I spoke to Bill today (May 23rd) and, thank goodness, both he and Ellen got home ok.
                    The interior of his car wasn't damaged, just the left rear brake and the left fender, both restorable.
                    We were having our annual Studebaker Reunion Sunday meet (Long Island Chapter) and Tom Portesy, an officer, left the meet to help Bill and Ellen on the Southern State Parkway. Tom gave Bill his spare tire and wheel from his '54 coupe and it fit fine. Bill got all the way home on front brakes only without incident.
                    We all look forward to seeing Bill and Ellen in the very near future.
                    Rog
                    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                    Smithtown,NY
                    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Well I'm glad to hear that Roger. hopefully a post mortem will reveal that only some minor work is needed to get the car back in top condition.

A suggestion: after thinking about this for a while, I have a possible theory as to what may have happened - I have noticed that the rear brake hose is somewhat close to the driver's side exhaust pipe on my '55 coupe (similar tailpipes to a 56J, just slightly larger diameter) might it not be a good idea to tack weld the exhaust together to keep the tailpipe from rotating and hitting the fuel line and/or brake hose? The tailpipes are only held at two places and the U-bend over the top of the axle could conceivably shift if the clamps aren't super tight, especially with a stainless exhaust. Also care should be used when installing a new brake hose so that it is twisted such that it doesn't hit the exhaust pipe at any point in its travel. I can certainly see that ruining one's day, and it's not hard to install it "wrong." I just replaced the rear brake hose on my '55 and I had to put a definite twist in it to keep it away from the exhaust. Additionally I had to add a washer to the hose to make the little horseshoe clip hold it tightly in place, the end fitting on the new hose that I got wasn't exactly like the original. Also make sure the little tee-block on top of the rear axle is mounted at an angle, pointing towards the center of the car, it's that way for a reason. Some well meaning person at some point in the past mounted mine square to the axle, thinking that the lines had been "tweaked" at some point apparently. Not so! the hose was actually touching the tailpipe once I installed a new Silvertone exhaust, not good. I had a set of repro stainless lines from Classic Tube laying around that I'd bought for another project; I just installed those (I don't like "re-bending" old steel brake lines; they're really only intended to be bent once) and those mounted the tee-block at the correct angle.

Best of luck to you Bill and good luck getting your car back on the road. Wish I was closer to you, I'd offer what help I could (unfortunately, my whole stash of 56J stuff is on the other side of the Atlantic now, hopefully being assembled into a car)

nate

--
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      62 Daytona hardtop
                      http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
                      --
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

There's a metal strip, about 3" long used to offset the flex hose at the rear cross member, on Avanti's. Something like that might help on coupes with large diameter duals.
                        There isn't much to keep the strip, or the "T" on the axle, from rotating into trouble. Each is held by one bolt; and could twist.
                        Mike M.

Comment

You know, Studebaker Drivers Club and the Turning Wheels staff recommend always carrying a charged extinguisher in your stude! Custom wiring under the dash has almost turned the blue witch into an impromptu bar-b-q on a number of occasions.[}]

Lotsa Larks!
                          Studeclunker
                          A.K.A: out2lunch
                          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                          Ron Smith
                          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                          X