This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Favorite Studebaker Story

I enjoy taking my '60 Hawk to local car shows and showing it off to people who haven't ever seen a Studebaker, or older people who remember when you could still buy a new one. I like talking to people about Studebakers in general, but my favorite thing is to hear stories from people who've had experiences with Studes.

My all time favorite story happened a couple weeks ago at a local cruise night. I was sitting in a lawn chair behind my car when a pair of elderly ladies walked up. I could tell right away that they were twins. As soon as they saw my car they started smiling. They told me that it was good to see a Studebaker again after all these years. Their story was that their father had always owned Studebakers. When they were in high school, their parents always went dancing on Saturday nights with another couple from their street. The other couple would always drive, so their father's Stude was left sitting in the garage. The temptation got too great for the twins one Saturday night, so they decided to take their Dad's car out for a drive. Somewhere during their drive, they discovered that the Studebaker could move right along. For the next several months, every Saturday night when their parents went dancing, the twins "borrowed" their Dad's car and went cruising around town. Turns out that these little old ladies standing in front of me used to take their Dad's Studebaker out every Saturday night and go DRAG RACING. They said they very rarely lost.[8D]

It's the stories like this that make spending all that money on an antique car worth it. How can you put a price on such memories??

[?]What's your favorite Studebaker story?[?]

OH I LOVE that story. I don't have any to share but piece by piece I'm getting my dad to tell a few LOL.

Comment

I used to live in northern California on a ranch. Dad's place was located on Mt. Lassen about thirty miles outside of Red Bluff few miles off of Hwy 36. When I started seventh grade there was a problem with room at the local school. No room. There was no bus available for me to go to the middle school and the trip was 36 miles.
      So, Mum took me into Red Bluff and we went through the procedure to aquire a Conditional Rural Drivers Permit. The only car available was my grandmother's 62 Regal Wagon. She had purchased it six months before her death. I don't remember the exact milage on it, but it was less than 500 miles. My mum hated it and it lived in the barn on blocks under a tarp. Mum wanted Gramma's 32 Pierce Arrow and Dad would'nt allow it. Another Story.
      So I got to drive Gramma's Studebaker to school for a year. I loved that car. It still looked new. And no wonder. After that year we moved back down south (during the winter) and there was no need for the car again. My older sister and brother begged to use it. Mum was adamate "I won't look at that Studeclunker!" Even when I was driving it, Mum insisted that it be put in the barn under the tarp when home.
      After Dad died in 72 the car went with the ranch. I was 14 at the time and begged mom for months to let me have the car. I even got my uncle to let me keep it at his house sixty miles away. She still said no. It was to go with the ranch. The people who got it had a car with less than 2k on the odometer in 1974.

God I miss that car.[V]

Baby blue with a dark blue interior. What a gem![8D]

Lotsa Larks!
      Studeclunker
      A.K.A: out2lunch
      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Studeclunker,
        That's just WRONG. I feel for ya.

Comment

Jeez Studeclunker,my mom was almost that mean to me! But back then,it was a 56 Corvette,bank repo,I could have bought for $250.!
          Not a stude story,but the twins did the same thing we did with my buddies fathers 50-sumthin Mercury 2 dr HT!!! After a few weeks,the clutch barely pulled the car home.I don't think his dad ever did realize that the clutch didn't get worn out from sitting still in front of the house.

not golden hawk,not silver hawk,just hawk.
          Oglesby,Il.

Comment

That IS sad. Sounds like mom had trouble looking at the car because it made her think of dear, departed Grandma.
            While not a Studebaker, I'd given my son a Rambler convertible just as me and my first wife parted ways. Since the boy was too young to legally own it, his mom had it in her name with the understanding that when the kid was driving age, the car was his.
            Right soon after I moved away (out of state), the boy came home from school one day to see the money and title for the Rambler exchanging handsHis mom had sold the car out from under him.[xx(]

Miscreant at large.
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Last summer on my way to a car show in my 60 Hawk, I stopped for gas. An older gentleman walked over to me and started talking about Hawks. He mentioned Golden Hawks and Silver Hawks. I was thinking to myself "This guy know something about Studebakers. Then as he was leaving he turned to me and said. "Yep! Pontiac really knew how to build cars. I guess I was wrong.
              Jeff
              Jeff Sheaffer
              Driving the past into the future

Comment

You know Studehawk, that guy just really needed to check his facts!
                Everyone knows Studebakers were built by Chevrolet!!

And If my Mother had wheels she'd be a wagon (Studebaker of course).

Lotsa Larks!
                Studeclunker
                A.K.A: out2lunch
                Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I find many people ask,is that GM or Ford who made the Studebaker. I'm new to Studebakers and have always like the cars,year after year.

Comment

I tend to ramble on... but one very short story follows from the last one.

I get much interest, many waves and smiles and quite a few shouts driving in London in the Speedster. One day a very old Chinese woman on the footpath with, I suspect, almost no English, grinning from ear to ear, shouted out "AMERICAN CAR!!!"

Peter.

Comment

I think it's funny what you hear people say, like "Studebakers were built by chevrolet, just like Edsels were built by FORDS!" yeah I know about Edsels!
                      I am New to Studebakers as an obcession, but I have always loved their style!
                      A funny thing happened to me this weekend when I visited the Studebaker Farm to look at a LARK wagon. I drove up and thought there might be 20-30 cars here! So I talked with John Brooks the owner for a few minutes and he said "lets walk back and look at the cars" so I'm thinking 50-75 yards! Ha! Half hour later were not even to the back of his lot and I've seen more Studebakers then I will probably ever see again in my life.(until I go back!) The place has some amazing history and John is a Super Nice Guy!
                      Just goes to show, "Don't judge a book by it's cover"

Dallas,Texas

Comment

Too bad I didn't see this topic earlier. Please read First Experience with a Studebaker. I would have included it in Your Favorite Studebaker Story if I had seen it before I posted a new topic.

Comment

Overheard at a car show:
                          "Now THAT son, is a Studebaker. Let me tell you 'bout them Studebakers. Made in South Bend n had Ford engines 'til them went south and Studebaker started buying them from Chevy. Soon Chevy built Studebakers up in Canada and exported them back down here to America. They also built a plastic car called the Avanteye. Them were kit cars that were built for several years then something happened and all the sudden they was buildin' Hummers in the Studebaker factory acrosst the river from the old factory in South Bend and that...son...is the histery of Studebaker!"

Different...By Design
                          Studedude 1961

Comment

Working...
                          X