This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker 'throwaway'engines

Most people over the age of 50,that come into my shop,have a comment about my Hawk.[Lots of stories,I think I could write a book some day!]One day an older guy came in,he told me that Studebaker had what was considered'throwaway engines' !
    Since that day,I have pulled out all my back issues of TW featuring the pure stock muscle car drags,and the Bonneville stories-just to show to the next 'historian' that comes in!!
    Part of the fun of being into Studes is the mis-information,heresy,and just total mystery that comes with the cars,but my favorite question is ' It must be almost impossible to get parts for it,huh?'

not golden hawk,not silver hawk,just hawk.

Well - the engines in the Weasels were considered by the military to be "throwaways" of a sort because of the difficulty in replacement & repair of the engine. The superstructure was sort of built around the engine. As it turns out, GI's were a resourceful lot - and did manage to devise methods for doing this, sometimes out of necessity.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

52, I concur with your choice for "favorite question". Of course, that one usually follows: What's it got for an engine now? - The assumption being that that little flathead 6 (Of course, they ALL had "that little flathead 6") had died ages ago and probably got replaced by the requisite SBC invincible powerplant. You know - the "Heartburn of America"[}]

Miscreant at large.
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

WHEN I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL, I DROVE A '51 BULLET NOSE (THIS IN THE MID-70S)AND WORKED AT A TOOL RENTAL SHOP. I GOT A LOT OF COMMENTS, BUT MY FAVORITE WAS FROM A GUY THAT SAID THAT STUDES USED CONTINENTAL ENGINES! I SAID SOME 30'S TRUCKS DID, BUT NO, STUDE BUILT THEIR OWN MOTORS. HE WAS ADAMANT, I COULDN'T SWAY HIM.
        ...PROBABLLY DROVE A CHEVY.

Comment

My favourite question is; "Were'nt those Studebakers built by Chevrolet?"[)] Or second; "Who built Studebakers? Ford or Chevy?"[)]

Oy vay![V]

Lotsa Larks!
          Studeclunker
          A.K.A: out2lunch
          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

It happened to me last night. I ran into a neighbor who used to live down the road and he said "hey, Susan tells me you're driving an old blue Rambler".

[8D]

Comment

Gee I aways thought that the GM small block is the ultimate throwaway engine, they are like a 3Hp Briggs and Straton. Cheap, low tech and much cheaper to just buy a new one every 3 years. Most non car people think that all discontinued makes were special models built by GM or Ford. I have even heard people say that Ford built Imperials???? I have a friend that's into Kiaser/Fraziers and at one show someone asked him what country was his Fraiser imported from??? Henry Kiaser must have rolled over a few times when that question was asked.

Restore it, don't replace it.Keep the Studebaker reproduction industry going

Comment

Working...
              X