This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Steering Hoses

Hello. I just had Stuart on the rack last night, all four of his power steering hoses are shot. Two questions, how hard would this car be to steer without power steering, I am fairly strong. Also, who is a good part source in Ohio?

Remindiar, Stuart is a 1962 Lark Cruiser.

Thanks.

I can't speak for "Stuart", but if there's only one modification I can ever promise to do on my '64 Daytona sedan, it will be to add power steering. Do yourself a favor and replace the hoses. There are several great vendors, including SASCO and Studebaker International, that are lots closer to you, than me (and they've been great to me.)

That being said, does anyone know of a vendor that has "complete" power steering changeover units, good used or rebuilt?

Good luck with Stuart!

Mark

MarkC, 64 Y8
    Working in Spokane, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by MarkC

<SNIP>

That being said, does anyone know of a vendor that has "complete" power steering changeover units, good used or rebuilt?

Good luck with Stuart!

Mark

MarkC, 64 Y8
      Working in Spokane, WA
      I think that your best idea would be to go to one of the big Stude swap meets Mark. I have a couple of complete sets, but shipping wouid kill ya. Normally, that's where the "heavy" parts and pieces show up, and usually at a pretty good deal.

Sonny
      http://RacingStudebakers.com
      Sonny

Comment

Having only driven my '58 wagon about 10 miles so far, I was pleasantly surprized at how easy it steers W/O PS. Maybe I'm just to used to the Transtar.
        The wagon has 205-14s on it BTW.

Miscreant at large.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Sonny, thanks for the swap meet tip. I plan to see if I can get some time off (work) to spend at the Spokane, WA, meet in August. I know of a couple of vendors from the coast (Seattle, WA, area) that I hope will attend.

Take care,

Mark

MarkC, 64 Y8
          Working in Spokane, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by MarkC

Sonny, thanks for the swap meet tip. I plan to see if I can get some time off (work) to spend at the Spokane, WA, meet in August. I know of a couple of vendors from the coast (Seattle, WA, area) that I hope will attend.

Take care,

Mark

MarkC, 64 Y8
            Working in Spokane, WA
            You're very welcome Mark. Yep, THAT would be a great place to find your power steering setup! It should have a bunch of vendors from the left coast. Good luck!

Sonny
            Sonny

Comment

I've sold the whole setups for $350, but have none in stock. Dave T-Bow buys used ones, rebuilds everything and sells them for $700 or so.
              You just need to find someone with a parts car. Be sure and get everything, including the special pump mounting bolts.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
              64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)
              63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
              55 Speedster
              50 2R 10 truck
              JDP Maryland

Comment

[u]StudeNOVICE questions Here.</u>
                Is the power steering on Studebakers exclusive to Studebakers?
                Are there crossover conversions? Were they made by Studebaker in house? or someone like Saginaw? Clue Me in Please.
                (I like power steering!)

Dallas,Texas

Comment

Nothing will "cross over" Early cars were Saginaw, late used the Bendix system. 58-59? up. The Bendix system is a easy upgrade, the Saginaw is not. (You need to swap the steering box.)

63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                  55 Speedster
                  50 2R 10 truck
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

The Bendix system is a easy upgrade, the Saginaw is not. (You need to swap the steering box.)
                    define: "EASY UPGRADE" please! , and when I say Cross Over, I mean are there any other cars besides Studebaker that use the same Pump and Box?-Thanks Dan

Dallas,Texas

Comment

There's a recent ad on the Studebaker Swap Pages for a complete, low-useage PS setup off a '64 - $200 bucks WITH extra pieces! You'd be hard pressed to beat that deal - if it's not sold already![}]

Miscreant at large.
                      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Easy= You can do it in a weekend. Swap the PS bellcrank and linkage, mount the pump and ram, plumb the hoses, add the crank pulley. (Use the parts book for a guide)

63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                        55 Speedster
                        50 2R 10 truck
                        JDP Maryland

Comment

In short, you're NOT going to find a system on a brand X that'll fit up to a Stude. The Bendix system is "Kinda LIKE" what was used on early Mustangs - but "Kinda Like" is as close as it gets.
                          The Saginaw setup is unique to Studebakers, best I know. And it's getting tough to find them anyways. Besides that, you'd be miles ahead by finding a Bendix setup as would have been made for a Lark. I doubt the Saginaw box would even fit up to the Lark frame. and then there'd be steering sector/shaft issues to tackle as well.[}]
                          1958 is when they changed to the Bendix setup for sedans. There should be a fair number of them around to be had. You wanna be cautious as to whether or not you get the right reach rod for your system. The reach rod for sedans is markedly shorter than the one for Hawks. Hawks BTW didn't get the Bendix setup til 1960.
                          My thinking is that ANY 59 thru 63 Lark setup will fit your Lark EVEN THO there WERE differences across the span of Larks. Those differences involved different sized hoses and their associated fittings/connections. So long as you had a complete system from one given year, it should work (again, talking Larks here, not Hawks or 58 sedans) Oh, and I seem to remember there's a difference to the splines in the pitman arm between some years.

Miscreant at large.

Comment

JDP/Mr.Biggs-Thanks! You answered my question perfectly!

Dallas,Texas

Comment

Phil Harris in Fairborn, Ohio, at stude6@yahoo.com has the hoses. Phone is 937-878-1576

Ted

Comment

Working...
                              X