This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I find inexpensive books?

OK, I bought the Motor's manual anyway for my 63 Lark. [:I] Now I want to start learning history and specifics about Studes, specifically Larks, but Stude's in general. So, what are some of the better sources of information, aside from this forum, of printed material?[)]
    And where can I get them without buying new? I don't need new, I just want to read up. Is anyone willing to part with their Stude Bible?
    Like my previous Mustang, I want to know about this illness that feels like it's taking over. I truly only spend about 10 minutes here every day (maybe less) but the wife thinks I spend all my time here while she's at work....

Studie newbie

I've seen some of the sort of books you want, for sale used at Amazon.com. Then there's all the back issues of Turning Wheels magazine. There's GOBS of history and facts and model-specific info on the pages of TW. Lots of those for sale on ebay. I've got a bunch of back issues here. Would you like me to look and see if I have some with 63-Lark specific stuff?[?]

Miscreant at large.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Hi George,
      I've just purchased a fixer 63 Lark and am looking for some good literature too. Let me know what you find, if you would, that you would recommend. I'm going to start with a good shop manual if I can find one. I know I saw one somewhere but then I forgot where. So it's back to hunting again. How long have you had your Lark and some details if you want to share.
      Good luck!

Comment

Anything you have on 63's would be great.[8)] I am also looking for general history as well.

Thanks a bunch....

Studie newbie

Comment

her63, I was given my Grandfather's 63 V8 Lark a couple of months ago, after my Aunt found out I am in training to become an Auto Service Tech. I previously had a 68 Mustang, something of a "special" project the Ford had tried before getting into the big blocks.
          I get to work on my own vehicles at no extra cost, so the motor and drivetrain are soon to be removed and begin the transformation.

I will be glad to pass on anything I find that feels useful.....

Studie newbie

Comment

George-Where are you located? I work for a company called Half Price Books and have found many books and manuals for various differant cars over time. A couple specifically on Studebakers! They are a resale book store and Buy from the public, so stock changes daily and every store has something differant.
            Also the service/shop manuals for these cars are available on CD-ROM, I know you have acess to a computer because your here!

Dallas,Texas

Comment

I'm in the great Pacific Northwest, home of Mount St. Helens. We have some great used bookstores hers as well, but I haven't seen anything usefull when I have looked.

Studie newbie

Comment

One book that I own is Studebaker Cars by James H. Maloney. It has the history of Studebaker from the start till its end. It has lots of pictures and information by year. I've found it pretty useful and it seems to be accurate. You can find it on amazon.com

Comment

George, would you pay $25 for all the Lark mauals (parts and service)? Find these on CD-Rom. I bought the CD's for $25 and when working on the car, I just print off the sections I need. Pages don't get perminently torn or grease stained. Just a suggestion. I got mine through Classic Manuals. The CD set I have covers all Studebaker cars from 1959-1964.
                  Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                  1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

The first thing you ought to have is the pertinent shop and parts manuals. Both of these are available from MANY different Stude parts vendors. Maybe I'm just old fashioned but I can't warm up to the one "CD Manual" I bought. A book is just easier to leaf thru and jump around in.
                    The factory shop manuals have SO much more than any Motors Manual that might happen to cover a Stude. And the parts books can be a bonus when looking to see how things are assembled. The exploded views of different sub-assemblies in conjuntion with the descriptions in the shop manual will give a wealth of info to help you do things right. Besides that, with a shop manual you can speak authoritatively when dealing with a vendor. Part # 1556734 is alot more specific than: "You know - that little L-shaped thing that bolts up real close to the brake thing-a-ma-bob!"[8]
                    Having an owners manual is nice ......... if you've never seen a car in your life - it can prove helpful![:0]

Miscreant at large.
                    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

My answer, in order; owner's manual, shop manual, parts book(s), Turning Wheels issue(s) with Fred K. Fox feature(s) on '63 Larks, general Studebaker history books - Fred K. Fox and Asa Hall's are the best, IMHO.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

George-We have alot of stores in the Seattle/Tacoma area. I picked up a few Automobile Quarterly's for the 60's and 70's today with some Great Studebaker stuff in them. An Article just about Hawks and one about Presidents and a third about the Avanti which is my least favorite Studebaker[)])
                        The Best book I have found yet is STUDEBAKER The Complete Story by William A. Cannon & Fred K. Fox (TAB Books ISBN -8306-2064-8), I also like the LARK photo archive by Ed Reynolds.
                        Keep searching, they are out there!

Dallas,Texas

Comment

I've sold dozens of Studebaker-related repair manuals, books and back-issue magazines on eBay. I'd suggest you check there often!

Studedude1961
                          Different...by Design

Comment

I've been hunting for a shop manual for 63 Lark. The cheapest I can find so far is 48 bucks @studeparts.com. Is anyone aware of anywhere they may carry them cheaper or is that about the best I'm going to find?

Comment

her63-Check out this site.

http://www.grogansports.com/satsoft/...9-64Stude.html

Dallas,Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X