This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• room to bag?

has anyone ever installed air bags on a 64 lark or seen one with 'em? i am starting to look into it. if anyone is spooled up on this then let me know if i would need to c-notch the frame in back or what needs to be cut. i am sure i would need to 4 link it seeing how i wouldn't want to leave the leaf's on. anyexperience would be helpful, oh yeh, 2 tanks or is one enough?

slow64

I've never seen one bagged. I'm going with C4 suspension with coil overs. Post some picks as you go along .
    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

will do, i am going to cut the frame at the rear shocks and weld a c shape where the air bags will go so the body will be able to drop to the pavement. some of the old timers might not understand but i want my lark to be 100% original. i am not trying to re-invent the stude, simply making it my own. like i said, c-notch the frame, i am going to take away the the leaf springs and 4 link the rear axle. any advise on where to get metalwould be great, i can weld like crazy, just no hook ups on metal, i have a great conection on sand blasting, he will do your whole car if you want, and does a wonderful job!well the air bags are in effect and i will keep everyone updated. benny.

slow64

Comment

Benny,

Forgive me but I just don't understand. Why would you want to put air ride suspension on a Lark?[?] The vehicle hasn't the weight to make it work properly. Also, you had better beef up that frame, especially if it's pre-63. Otherwise you'll be riding crab sided. But if that's what you want, just carry your drink shaker with you.

Lotsa Larks!
        Studeclunker
        A.K.A: out2lunch
        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Studeclunker,
          While I don't like the airbag system either....they ARE (if bought properly!) sized for the weight of the car. And he is talking about the rear and not the front (?). So there's really not much harm, except for some ride quality.

Benny_64
          "C" notching the frame............? There ain't much to remove without removing it all! The frame is less than 4" tall! And the material is pretty thin.
          Overall.....in my humble opinion....probably not too good an idea.
          Get an aftermarket (Morrison) frame...then design it in.
          Really stay away from front air bags, unless it's a trailer queen.

I just got done putting coilover shocks in the rear of my Conestoga, (quick change rear axle installation). Even with that, I didn't "remove" any factory material....but I did "add" some doublers and stiffeners. I'd like it to be lower....but without going to an aftermarket frame....I'm stuck too.

Comment

my lark is a 64, i wouldn't cut a notch into the frame, its just the term, i would cut out a whole piece of the frame and weld a "A-frame" around the spot to compensate for a longer shock so it can lowered all the way down. and i am wondering mike, why do you advise not bagging the front? i am not too worried about losing ride comfort seeing how the ride really isn't that good as it is. i think it will be fun and make my car a little more original.[8D]

slow64

Comment

There's a '53 running around Daytona that is bagged with the Stude front end and an unequal length 4 bar setup in the back. No frame cutting was done... Don't see why it wouldn't work with a Lark..
              Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by benny_64

has anyone ever installed air bags on a 64 lark or seen one with 'em? i am starting to look into it. if anyone is spooled up on this then let me know if i would need to c-notch the frame in back or what needs to be cut. i am sure i would need to 4 link it seeing how i wouldn't want to leave the leaf's on. anyexperience would be helpful, oh yeh, 2 tanks or is one enough?

slow64
              DEEPNHOCK@worldnet.att.net
              '61 Hawk
              '37 Coupe Express
              http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
              X