Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was upsetting enough, when Studebaker closed down in South Bend. But I was even more shocked when they closed down in Hamilton. I was under the impression that Studebaker/Worthington was actually turning a profit. Along with the cars, they had some very successful subsidiaries such as STP, Paxton Superchargers, and Worthington, who at the time, were producing private label home appliances. My understanding was that the decision was made to get out of the car business regardless of any success coming out of Hamilton. I don't know if this is the truth.
    Rog
    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Smithtown,NY
    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Roger,
      They were actualy in the black a bit at Hamilton. But as you say - the board was (actualy, had been for some time)determined to divorce itself from auto making.

Miscreant at large.
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I was a sophomore in college when Studebaker went out of business in South Bend. Since I was attending Notre Dame to study Industrial Design and transportation design, I was "in mourning" over their passing. People like Raymond Loewy and Brooks Stevens were heroes to me, and it was because of their Studebaker designs that I became interested in "design". Studebaker design innovation is almost a religion to me,and it is thrilling to me to see a hobby to preserve them thrive thirty nine years after their passing.

They would have never survived today without becoming global in some way. Interestingly, they were involved with with Porsche and Mercedes during the '50s, and were talking with a forerunner of Toyota in the '60s, when they went out of domestic production. There were even talks set up with Willys. Current cars '53 cpe and 76 Avanti

Comment

Working...
        X