Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the Average age of SDC members?

What is the Average age of SDC members? Just curious? I am 42 years of age and have always been into old cars. (Blessing from my father!) I have always appreciated STUDEBAKERS, although I have never owned one. (but will soon!) This is a Great site!-Thanks

Dallas,Texas

I'm going to guess mid to late 50's from what I've seen at meets.

64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    55 Speedster
    50 2R 10 truck
    JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Danarchy

What is the Average age of SDC members? Just curious? I am 42 years of age and have always been into old cars. (Blessing from my father!) I have always appreciated STUDEBAKERS, although I have never owned one. (but will soon!) This is a Great site!-Thanks

Dallas,Texas

Comment

well sorry about the last post i'm still kinda new.I myself an 29 and am trying to get started on my first studebaker,a 59 lark wagon with a 6cyl.in suprisingly good shape for siting in a montana field for 20 years.This forum has helped me out greatly. thanks

Comment

i am 24, i am not sure if my generation even knows what studebaker is. everytime i tell my friends what i drive or the new car i got, they have no idea what a stude is. i had a pretty crazy picture in my head of what they were until i saw one. and when i was looking for a new car to work on, i saw a 64 lark in auto trader. i had to have it, i got it, and will probably have it for years to come. but as for the average age, i have no idea, i am the only stude guy i know.

slow64

Comment

Hi!
            I'm still 28 years old and after I've owned a 1951 Pontiac Chieftain 4-dr Sedan, this 1949 Studebaker is my first car from this make (although I wanted have a Stude since is was a kid).
            So I think, benny_64, 59wagon and myself will drop the average age a bit.

Bjoern

Livin' in Germany: 1949 Studebaker Champion Regal Deluxe Starlight Coupe

Comment

Here's a little exercise I find that ON AVERAGE, comes pretty close to determining the age of an antique car buff based on the age of his car: determine the model year of the car, subtract 12 from that. Then subtract that 'year' from the current year.

Example: If you have a 62 GT Hawk, subtract 12 from that, gets you 1950. 1950 from 2005 gets you 55 years old for the driver. If the answer seems incorrect, ask the fellow why he owns the car--there will be a 'story' or 'history' with this vehicle, guaranteed.

51 Commander State Sedan
              Butler PA

Comment

Hmmm... I'm 31 and am currently working on a '55 Commander coupe... just because I think it looks cool. Dunno what that says

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                62 Daytona hardtop
                http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
                --
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Wanted something different and always thought my grandfathers 53 Commander was cool.
                  So now I have 2 Lark, 2dr wagons (59, 60) and a 54 Conestoga.

Comment

I'm 41 with my first Stude, a '64 Daytona. But I do have to say, there was a lot of gray hair (and wisdom) in South Bend last Saturday.
                    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I'm 39, and my Stude is my Grandad's daily driver utility yellow (painted chrome yellow in '86) 1954 3R6 Pickup, that I got from my Uncle's estate.

My Grandad purchased the truck from the city in 1957, drove it daily it until 1989, and weekly until he stopped driving in 1993

I'm not an old car guy, and except for trying to keep my Grandad's memory going (his truck is rather well known by old timers), I would not be working on this vehicle.

BUT! It is a living history lesson, and I love history.

Besides, working on this thing is quite a hoot.

Paul.

Comment

I just bought my first Studebaker, a fixer upper 63 Lark. I saw it sitting at an estate sale with a "make offer" sign in the window. My poor husband was at work and all day I tried to figure out how to tell him that we had just acquired a Studebaker LOL. I'm 34 BTW. How about females? Seems mostly male, yes?

Comment

When I attend the Tri-Spokes Chapter (Maine, NH & VT Studebaker Driver's Club) meetings I am typically one of the youngest members there. I'm 50, so I'd guess the average age is around 65 to 70. Now this may have to do with many of these folks are retiree's who have time availble to do these things, where the younger "family" type members have other things to do (such as school events, youth sports activies, etc.)At regional or national meets I've been to I'd say the average age is a little younger, say late 50's early 60's.
                          It's good to see some young folks comming into the hobby, I joined SDC when I was 19.

1960 Lark Convertible
                          1962 GT Hawk
                          Dan Peterson
                          Montpelier, VT
                          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

It is encouraging to see all of these young people interested in Studebakers. I hope that as well as utilizing this forumn, they are members of the Studebaker Drivers Club (SDC) - this site. I fall on the other end of the spectrum. My first Studebaker (far from first car) was a 1957 President Classic in 1960. I have been an active member of SDC since 1968. I think that the attendance at major Studebaker events is skewed toward the older members based on available time and money for travel. I try to be of assistance to those new to Studebakers, but don't pretend to have all the answers.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I turned 60 last Feb.. Been into Studes since '73. Never paid them much mind until then. Once hooked though, I was hooked good![}] Studes were plentiful and cheap in the 70s in Georgia. I went from one to the next just to experience different models. Bought a dissassembled a number at that time as well. No tellin' how many Studes I've owned or parted out over the years.[V]
                              My grandkids (2 of them anyway) think Studes are cool. Maybe they'll inherit one if there's any left to inherit when I check out.[xx(] I can think of a couple of younger types that I've helped infect with the Stude bug. I sure hope someone carries on with the mania once our time is up!

Miscreant at large.
                              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X