This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963 GT Hawk Engine Number & VIN

Hi Guys, Some time ago I inquired about whether my 289 4V would be an R1 engine and it was suggested that if I got you the number off the block you could tell me what my engine was so here it is - 535601 and above that is the single digit 5.
    While I'm at it perhaps the Studenumerologists amongst you can tell me something about my car's VIN 63V17757 and the number on the plate on the passenger's side firewall 63V-K6 and below that 2110.
    Thanks, HUB (in Ontario)

Wrong number. Look on the passenger side of the top of the block just to the right front of the cam galley cover. (facing the negine) BTW, your VIN does not cross to a Avanti powered Hawk. I have the Avanti list, but you'll need the build sheet to get more information.

64 Challenger (Green Wrapper)
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    55 Speedster
    50 2R 10 truck
    JDP Maryland

Comment

When you find the engine # (STAMPED - not embossed) it's gonna start with a letter code. P for a 289, V for a 259, JT for an R1 JTS would be a supercharged variant of the 289. There'll be a series of numbers after that letter and all they designate is that particular engine's sequential place in the lineup of that particular type of engine.

63V-K6 simply confirms that it's a 63 GT Hawk with a V8 engine. The 2110 is just a reference number for that particular body tub's buildup.

The VIN again, confirms it to be a 63 V8 car and shows it's place in the sequence of V8 cars for '63. It defines nothing else.

Miscreant at large.
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks guys - so I've got a garden variety 289 4V. Were most GT Hawks 4V or was that a less common option? My car has a single exhaust - would a 4V car have always been dual exhaust originally. It's in good shape so I don't need to replace it right away but will want to at some point. I suppose I would notice an appreciable difference in performance &/or fuel economy with duals?

Comment

All V8 GT's had duals, the four barrel was not that rare.

64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)
          63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
          55 Speedster
          50 2R 10 truck
          JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
          X