• Show
Clear All

• Unique Studebaker Truck

This from Hemmings eWeekly

www.studebakermuseum.org.
    - By Jim Donnelly

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

"May the Saints be praised!" I remember mention of this prototype in Turning Wheels some years ago. I'm surprised we haven't heard more about it.

What other gems are out there awaiting discovery?
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

"May the Saints be praised!" I remember mention of this prototype in Turning Wheels some years ago. I'm surprised we haven't heard more about it.

Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

That really does seen strange to me, since I sat in it at Plant 8 in Aug. of 1966! I remember the tag on the steering wheel that said: "Do not Drive this Vehicle! -Steering Welded!" So it apparently even ran!

I just do not see how it could get in someone's barn without the Co., the owners: the City of SB and the Museum knowing about it all the time. It was in the Studebaker collection with the Packard Predictra(sp), the brooks Stevens 1967 prototypes, Pres. Garfield's Carriage, the last South Bend car (a '64 Daytona R1 HT), the Coast to Coast run Big "6" Touring I saw them all there on a guided tour in an electric cart in Plant 8 Parts Depot!

I am sure we will hear more about this, from the S.N.Museum.

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That really does seen strange to me, since I sat in it at Plant 8 in Aug. of 1966! I remember the tag on the steering wheel that said: "Do not Drive this Vehicle! -Steering Welded!" So it apparently even ran!

I just do not see how it could get in someone's barn without the Co., the owners: the City of SB and the Museum knowing about it all the time. It was in the Studebaker collection with the Packard Predictra(sp), the brooks Stevens 1967 prototypes, Pres. Garfield's Carriage, the last South Bend car (a '64 Daytona R1 HT), the Coast to Coast run Big "6" Touring I saw them all there on a guided tour in an electric cart in Plant 8 Parts Depot!

I am sure we will hear more about this, from the S.N.Museum.

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by rockne10

It was covered in February, 1983, Turning Wheels at first, along with some other renderings of cab-forward trucks and vans, including a six cylinder van with Westinghouse logos on the sides. That 'gem' is still out there for someone. Here are some photos of the truck I took in 1983. Interestingly, it uses an International instrument pod from the late 1950's[:0].

Craig

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by rockne10

It was covered in February, 1983, Turning Wheels at first, along with some other renderings of cab-forward trucks and vans, including a six cylinder van with Westinghouse logos on the sides. That 'gem' is still out there for someone. Here are some photos of the truck I took in 1983. Interestingly, it uses an International instrument pod from the late 1950's[:0].

Craig

Comment

If I remember correctly, when Newman & Altman bought the rights for the Avanti, from Studebaker Corporation, it also included trucks as well, even though they never did produce a truck. The 'deal' included all manfacturing rights, engineering blueprints, prototypes, et al. So that truck would probably have been in possesion of Newman & Altman when it went into that barn in Michigan.

Craig

Comment

If I remember correctly, when Newman & Altman bought the rights for the Avanti, from Studebaker Corporation, it also included trucks as well, even though they never did produce a truck. The 'deal' included all manfacturing rights, engineering blueprints, prototypes, et al. So that truck would probably have been in possesion of Newman & Altman when it went into that barn in Michigan.

Craig

Comment

Interesting styling. Looks more like the front end of a '60s Seagrave fire truck, or an airport tow motor, than a consumer vehicle.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                    '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Interesting styling. Looks more like the front end of a '60s Seagrave fire truck, or an airport tow motor, than a consumer vehicle.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                      '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Looks more like the front end of a '60s Seagrave fire truck, or an airport tow motor, than a consumer vehicle.

When I first saw the pictures of it, an Oshkosh immediately came to mind with that forward slant windshield.

Craig

Comment

Looks more like the front end of a '60s Seagrave fire truck, or an airport tow motor, than a consumer vehicle.

When I first saw the pictures of it, an Oshkosh immediately came to mind with that forward slant windshield.

Craig

Comment

I do believe that this is an old, old article...
                            Hasn't this truck been in the SNM for years and years?
                            I saw it in '02 (unless they built more than one)...
                            Curious about the story timeline....
                            Jeff[8D]

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
                            Brooklet, Georgia
                            '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
                            '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
                            '61 Hawk (project)
                            http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I do believe that this is an old, old article...
                              Hasn't this truck been in the SNM for years and years?
                              I saw it in '02 (unless they built more than one)...
                              Curious about the story timeline....
                              Jeff[8D]

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
                              Brooklet, Georgia
                              '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
                              '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
                              '61 Hawk (project)
                              http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                              X