'60 Hawk on Ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '60 Hawk on Ebay

[)]This little Hawk is a mystery to me. Maybe some of you "car types" can explain it. This is the second time in a row that this Hawk has gone up on Ebay with nary a bid. Are '60 Hawks not worth as much as other Hawks? Or is there something about this particular Hawk that turns buyers off?[)]Here's the link: http://tinyurl.com/ys6ohs

steve blake
    http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt
    http://tinyurl.com/l7oqh
    steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup

Here's my 2 cents.

The 6,000 opening bid (which still won't meet reserve) and the $8500 BIN scare off bidders. I know JP has successfully used the BIN, but I think bidders know the reserve is going to be just below the BIN and feel it's out of their budget and move on.

With a $1000 required opening bid and no BIN (but with a reserve), I think a car like this would get some bids and some interest going. It may then well sell for MORE THAN what the seller would have stated as the BIN as auction fever kicks in. In any case, the seller will know what the eBay market thinks the car is worth even if it doesn't make reserve. With his current system of a high required opening bid and a BIN, he may never know.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Here's my 2 cents.

The 6,000 opening bid (which still won't meet reserve) and the $8500 BIN scare off bidders. I know JP has successfully used the BIN, but I think bidders know the reserve is going to be just below the BIN and feel it's out of their budget and move on.

With a $1000 required opening bid and no BIN (but with a reserve), I think a car like this would get some bids and some interest going. It may then well sell for MORE THAN what the seller would have stated as the BIN as auction fever kicks in. In any case, the seller will know what the eBay market thinks the car is worth even if it doesn't make reserve. With his current system of a high required opening bid and a BIN, he may never know.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Some of the Chrome appears to be painted with silver paint(side grille frames;Tail lamp bezels)That turns Me off on this car......What else may not be "up to par" ?

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Lewisville,NC
        (formerly chevpartsman)
        sigpic
        1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
        Lewisville,NC

Comment

Some of the Chrome appears to be painted with silver paint(side grille frames;Tail lamp bezels)That turns Me off on this car......What else may not be "up to par" ?

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Lewisville,NC
          (formerly chevpartsman)
          sigpic
          1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
          Lewisville,NC

Comment

Tail lights are not correct either. Missing grill emblem. Minor things, but makes me wonder what you can't see is wrong.

Jeff Sheaffer
            60 Hawk
            Jeff Sheaffer
            Driving the past into the future

Comment

Tail lights are not correct either. Missing grill emblem. Minor things, but makes me wonder what you can't see is wrong.

Jeff Sheaffer
              60 Hawk
              Jeff Sheaffer
              Driving the past into the future

Comment

I agree that it's the high opening bid, but disagree about the BIN. I've set a silly high BIN thinking I'll lower it as the auction progresses along with the reserve only to have someone hit it. I almost always plan on lowering the reserve to generate interest, even if it's only a dollar. The bidders get a e-mail about the lower reserve and take another shot. Another factor this week, is good part of the Studebaker bidder pool is waiting for potential York bargains.

64 Commander 2 dr.
                64 Daytona HT
                63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black)
                63 Avanti R1
                63 Daytona convert
                63 Lark 2 door
                63 Lark 2 door #2
                62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
                62 Lark 2 door
                60 Lark HT
                60 Hawk
                59 3E truck
                52 Starliner
                51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I agree that it's the high opening bid, but disagree about the BIN. I've set a silly high BIN thinking I'll lower it as the auction progresses along with the reserve only to have someone hit it. I almost always plan on lowering the reserve to generate interest, even if it's only a dollar. The bidders get a e-mail about the lower reserve and take another shot. Another factor this week, is good part of the Studebaker bidder pool is waiting for potential York bargains.

64 Commander 2 dr.
                  64 Daytona HT
                  63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black)
                  63 Avanti R1
                  63 Daytona convert
                  63 Lark 2 door
                  63 Lark 2 door #2
                  62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
                  62 Lark 2 door
                  60 Lark HT
                  60 Hawk
                  59 3E truck
                  52 Starliner
                  51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

[)]Well, he swears the side grills aren't painted. But they really do look dull in the photos. He also says that he'd take $6501 for it. Will be interesting to see if it gets a bid this time around.[)]

steve blake

Comment

[)]Well, he swears the side grills aren't painted. But they really do look dull in the photos. He also says that he'd take $6501 for it. Will be interesting to see if it gets a bid this time around.[)]

steve blake

Comment

They may not be painted - technically - but they look like bare pot metal to my eye. Same thing with the taillight bezels - bare pot metal. Lotsa little exterior trim missing and what looks like evidence of more than surface rust along seams 'n such.
                        "All original" - with a black-painted engine compartment. You know - you can tell the truth - or not. And when that interior was redone, why did they overlook the windlace? I'll guarantee you it was rotten ten years ago to be as bad as it is now.[}]

Miscreant adrift in
                        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

They may not be painted - technically - but they look like bare pot metal to my eye. Same thing with the taillight bezels - bare pot metal. Lotsa little exterior trim missing and what looks like evidence of more than surface rust along seams 'n such.
                          "All original" - with a black-painted engine compartment. You know - you can tell the truth - or not. And when that interior was redone, why did they overlook the windlace? I'll guarantee you it was rotten ten years ago to be as bad as it is now.[}]

Miscreant adrift in
                          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yeh, I've had the same thoughts as everyone else. This car needs a full restoration, including body, paint, chrome, trim and I would say interior. I've been watching this car for some time now, trying to keep my fingers away from the "bid now" button. There is definitely something wrong with this picture and I think its more than the price. I notice that this appears to be the only for sale item this person has in his/her feedback. I really want to buy a Hawk but unless I can get reassurance this is not a rust-bucket, I'll stay away. Also note: no undercarriage pictures. Has anyone inquired if he is a SDC member?

Dave D.
                            '51 4-dr Champion
                            Smithers, B.C.
                            Canada
                            Dave D.
                            '51 "Bulletnose" Champion
                            '59 "Silver Hawk" V8

Smithers, B.C. "Where a Stude in hand is worth two in the bush"

Comment

Yeh, I've had the same thoughts as everyone else. This car needs a full restoration, including body, paint, chrome, trim and I would say interior. I've been watching this car for some time now, trying to keep my fingers away from the "bid now" button. There is definitely something wrong with this picture and I think its more than the price. I notice that this appears to be the only for sale item this person has in his/her feedback. I really want to buy a Hawk but unless I can get reassurance this is not a rust-bucket, I'll stay away. Also note: no undercarriage pictures. Has anyone inquired if he is a SDC member?

Dave D.
                              '51 4-dr Champion
                              Smithers, B.C.
                              Canada
                              Dave D.
                              '51 "Bulletnose" Champion
                              '59 "Silver Hawk" V8

Smithers, B.C. "Where a Stude in hand is worth two in the bush"

Comment

Working...
                              X