Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between '62 & '63 Hawk Grille???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between '62 & '63 Hawk Grille???

Here's a question for you. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between '62 and '63 Hawk grilles? My car is a '63 and the grille shell on it is in sad shape. I just bought a decent used shell that was billed as a '63 by the seller. When comparing the newly acquired one with the one on my car I note a slight difference at the bottom corners of the grille shell. The one I just got has a little section notched out on each side which will reveal a bit more sheet metal - not much but definitely different. I want to have one of these restored and rechromed and I suppose it may as well be the correct one - or are they both correct? Was there a running change? I can't see what functional difference it would make. I'm wondering if these are from different years and also whether my car had the correct grill on it when I got it. The rear applique is from a '62 so maybe the grille is as well? Before I buy an NOS mesh I want to be sure it will fit the shell I have restored as I notice that '62 and '63/64 meshes aren't offered as being interchangeable or was it not a matter of fit but simply of a slight styling difference??? Thanks.
    HUB (puzzled in S.W. Ontario)[?]

62-63 are a different shape at the bottom because of the different side grills, not a interchangeable part.

64 Challenger (Green Wrapper)
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    55 Speedster
    50 2R 10 truck
    JDP Maryland

Comment

So do you think I have one of each year and if so which is the '62 and which is the '63? Will the mesh from either year fit into either shell?
      quote:Originally posted by JDP

62-63 are a different shape at the bottom because of the different side grills, not a interchangeable part.

63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
      55 Speedster
      50 2R 10 truck

Comment

The one that fits your 63 is a 63 grill assuming you have a 63 Hood and side griils. I'm not trying to be flip, but I'm at a loss on how to describe the differance.

63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
        55 Speedster
        50 2R 10 truck
        JDP Maryland

Comment

The grille shells for '62, '63 and '64 are all different. '63 and '64 are interchangeable as far as fit. It sounds like your car has a '62 grille and the grille shell that you just bought is for a '63. What do the side grilles on your car look like? Are they sort of flush, then they are '62. If they are sort of boxy and extend forward, then they are for '63-'64. Compare your car's front end with pictures of authentic Hawks or post pictures here.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The 62 shell is different from the 63 &64 (diff, part #'s) The 62 had spacers at the bottom corners & if u put a 62 grill on a 63 hood u will notice a gap see #4546344389 on Ebay on the hood shot you will c spacers-found this out the hard way.Grill mesh also diff. on 62 frm 63-64

Comment

HUB, go here: (http://carnut.com/photo/list/list.html) click on Studebaker and select the year and the views of the Hawks. Some of these pictures can help you figure out what you have and what you need.
              Tim K.
              Tim K.
              \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Working...
              X