This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Saga Begins

Here I am, another new, 1st time Studebaker owner.
    I recently purchased a very rare '54. It's somewhere in transit in the midwest, soon to be a new resident of the Golden State. It's a 1954 Champion Regal 2dr Sedan. I understand they made only 1,066 2dr Regal sedans in '54 so I am fortunate to have found this one.
    It needs alittle work, like brakes, and I attempted to contact the local chapter for advice on someone to work on it. No luck yet but's it's only been a couple of days. I'm not fearful of doing the fronts but the whole little dance needed to remove the rears is intimidating and it might be better to pay a professional for the service. Anyone know anything about Orange County Studebaker Repair in Anaheim, CA ?
    My friends have asked me "why a Studebaker?" and, there is a family tie.
    I had an uncle who recently passed away who worked for Studebaker in South Bend on the assembly line in the 50's up til they closed the plant in 64. He then went to work for Bendix. Chances are my uncle touched this car during it's birth 51 years ago.
    Anyway, any advice regarding those brakes or an expert in S. California would be appreciated.
    Dave

[8D]

http://RacingStudebakers.com
    Sonny

Comment

Congratulations on an interesting car. Studebaker made 9254 two door sedans for the 1954 model year. I don't have a model breakout handy, maybe that is what the 1066 number that you quote represents (Champion Regal 2 door). Your car is on a 116.5 inch wb, base price $1983 and base weight 2745 lbs.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Welcome aboard, SoCal! You're correct in the number of 1066 for the Regal trimmed version of the Champion 2-door (15G-F5) There were another 8000+ 2-drs of lesser trim built as well. And that includes the Commander editions too. 1,032 of the 15G-F5s were for the domestic market, ONE was sent to Canada and 33 were built for export.
        Man, I think it's COOL to have a family connection to the plant! I'd be thinkin' like you as well. Good chance Unk laid hands on at least a part of the Champion. Too bad there's not a way to confirm that.[V]
        But hey! You're gonna have fun sortin' this one out and fielding all the questions and compliments once you get it on the road.
        Where did you find this gem?[?] Where are you in SoCal[?]
        As to Orange County Studebaker - the last time I talked to them, they were shutting down That was over a year ago.[xx(] I don't know what you feel qualified to do, but if you're up to tackling the brakes, you can probably do lots more with our help[^] Give us a try.

Miscreant at large.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Before you do anything else on May 7 come to Dennys at 1623 E. Imperial Highway, Brea at the 57 Freeway and Imperial Highway 4:00 in the afternoon and join the Orange empire club for Lunch, talk to others
          who know the ins and outs of Studes.While you are at it you can ask for Alan I'll be around. AJ

Comment

Sonny,
            Hey, the 1st thing I did was get the shop manual and the body parts catalog for it. In addition I snagged a 54 Sales Brouchure off of eBay for it and I'll be hunting down the owners manual as well.
            I have looked at the puller on-line. It's not expensive. I suspect that the problem lies in the front's based on the inspection I paid for before offering the seller a price on it....and there is a regular Saturday car show near me. I plan the 1st Saturday to take her down there and find the nicest Bel Air and park next to it...
            Mr Biggs: I located this car on traderonline. I looked at a 4dr in PA that was in Turning Wheels for March but it didn't inspect as well as I had hoped. This 2dr did. I just hope it get's here in one piece. I live in Monrovia which is near Pasadena CA (but I actually work down in Orange County near that Denny's Alan wants me to drop in on.)
            It also needs a new headliner. How much of a pain in the nether regions is that job if I buy the kit?

Dave

"Oh That? It's a STUDEBAKER!!"[8D]

Comment

It's an easy job if you take your time and have a good heat gun

Comment

Whats the heat gun for?

"Oh That? It's a STUDEBAKER!!"

Comment

For pulling the material you heat and stretch so when it cools no sags

Comment

quote:Originally posted by SoCal54Champion

Whats the heat gun for?

It's to stretch the headliner to get it tight. Here's where my foibles show up. I HATE interior work, and if there's ANYthing worse than putting in a headliner, I dunno what it is. On my Lark, the windshield and back glass should come out to do it right, and I suspect that it's the same for a few models. I pay a fella $125.00 labor to roll and flop around for hours inside my cars, putting in headliners that I buy ahead of time, and it's the best money I ever spent. If it's screwed up, well, I just wait until he gets it right. Your call, but I'd recommend that you do some homework on what it's gonna take to put that headliner in. Just one guy's opinion.

Sonny
                    Sonny

Comment

This wouldn't be the 54 2-door out of Louisville would it?

----------------
                      Mark Anderson
                      http://home.alltel.net/anderm
                      1965 Studebaker Cruiser

Comment

A very, very sweet car. I had a '54 Commander Regal Coupe that I sold to guy near Boston. Do I ever miss it ...

Comment

OK...this is where my stomach turns over and I gulp hard...right before the bad news hits....65Cruiser. Yes, this is the Louisville 2dr....
                          And....?

Comment

I dont know what 65 Cruiser is going to say, but that car was for sale locally in the Courier-Journal and the local Bargain Mart for over two years, I personnally never saw it because the asking price in the papers was above my "budget" and I already have enough Studes to last a lifetime.
                            Perhaps its the fact the car is migrating from the Midwest to CA, when most deep pocket Midwest Stude buyers are importing cars From CA. A little bit unusual.

Comment

Ummm, I'm not going to say anything bad, other than what one other user said. I did a drive-by on that one and decided it was out of my price range also. It was a decent looking car from what I can see, but it's hard to tell much doing just a drive-by. I know that it was for sale for several years, both in the local paper and in the Trader.

Of course, what do I do, but buy a Cruiser that was out of my price range. I'm such a guppy!

----------------
                              Mark Anderson
                              http://home.alltel.net/anderm
                              1965 Studebaker Cruiser

Comment

Working...
                              X