X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work on our 1960 Lark

Okay,
    So last weekend the car came in...our 1960 Stude Lark Convertible. As I began going over it, I realized that it was a bit worse than I thought, but will be great to work on and drive and eventually restore. It is mechanically sound and runs great. Can't wait to get better dual exhaust and flowmasters on it...haha. Anyhow, I found out why the top wasn't working...there was no motor/pump in the trunk...just lines and pistons. So, does anybody know where I can find a working pump for the top? Also, I made a heafty list of parts that are to be ordered tomorrow for the doors. I took the windows out, rust proofed the doors for now (they will need to be replaced or fixed b/c they are rusty at the bottom) and got a new window regulator, seals, etc. By the way, thanks for the suggestions about the window crank removal tool. I didn't have to worry about the plastic rings b/c they were broken/missing already. The next, and last thing we are doing right now, is putting a new gasket on the gas tank sending unit...gas is leaking out of it when the tank is full. Its a fun little car to drive that will need minor work for now. It is, however, going to become a frame-off restoration in a few years for myself and my dad. I'm pretty excited about saving this car and especially driving it this summer. Thanks for the great info and site you all have here. Take care.

Nate

Sounds good, Nate.[] If you look in Hemmings or Old cars weekly, you can find Hydro-E-Lectric's ad. they'll have a pump, I'm sure.

Fact is, I just found their number myself. (800) 343-4261 I KNOW they can help! And be sure to use Dexron III fluid in it and not brake fluid. Just make sure you purge all the old fluid from the lines and cylinders first! And CHECK those lines to make sure they're not so hard that they'll crack when you try to work with them![xx(] Hydro will have those too.

Miscreant at large.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks for the info Mr Biggs. I'll get on that calling them about the pump. I was amazed when I found the lines and fittings and no pump...hmm. Anyhow, thanks again, Ill keep you guys updated and try and get some pics on here.

Nate

Comment

SASCO lists the NOS convertible top pump & motor assembly. part number 1337080, for $290.70 in case you can't find it elsewhere. Let us know how you come out with this.

1960 Lark Convertible
        1962 GT Hawk
        Dan Peterson
        Montpelier, VT
        1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
        1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

We called about the pump motor and found it was 220 dollars. My dad and I talked it over and we are going to do some other work to the car, as far as the body is concerned, before fixing the top mechanism. I think for right now, we plan on driving it for a year or two before doing a complete restoration on it. Thanks for the info about SASCO. We are definately going to be getting fenders and other body parts from them. For my 1965 Lark, I bought a set of original seat covers and tucked them away in the closet so that when the original ones are badly worn, I have originals to put back on. Thanks guys. Ill keep you posted as we work on her.

Nate

Comment

Working...
          X