This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disc Brake Conversion

I am thinking of putting disc brakes on my 54 using SteelTech Solutions www.steeltechsolutions.com. Has anyone used this package? I have concerns about the spacing behind the wheel. I am using Wheel Vintiques 75-15 wire wheel. Any comments?

I put71 Dodge Charger disks on my 53 K about 20 years ago, made a 1/2"bracketwith spacers because on the Studes they are spotfaced from the back they bolted on with only a wheel bearing change on the inside
    bearing and a different oil seal and have had no problems at all, go ahead and do it

Comment

Another option you may want to consider is http://www.turnerbrake.com/ - I know Jim Turner will be happy to answer any fitment questions you may have, although he's only going to know about his own kits I don't have any experience with the steeltech stuff, but the Turner stuff is very nice looking.

good luck,

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      62 Daytona hardtop
      http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Van,

I've used both the Steeltech and the Turner kits.
        They both use the same rotor and caliper. So spacing is the same.

Steeltech's bracket is very simple and kinda prehistoric looking...but it works fine.
        Turners bracket is very nicely done....but it's designed for stopping a Mac truck.

While both work just fine, I prefer not adding a bunch of weight to the spindle...makes the shocks, springs and tires work that much harder. I just cleaned up the S.T. bracket, repainted it. No one see's it anyway! I ended up selling the Turner kit because the car it was on, now has a C4 Corvette all aluminum frt. suspension on it.

Just one persons opinion.

Mike

Comment

The quality is one thing. Getting what you buy in timely fashion is another. Investigate before you send off your money.[|)]

Miscreant at large.
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Mike thanks for your response. Did you use a brake booster with the Steeltech product, they say you don't need one? The other question is the the Steeltech a double caliper or single, the picture looks like a double. I Understand the Turner is a single caliper, by single I mean only one piston on one side.
            Van

quote:Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten

Van,

I've used both the Steeltech and the Turner kits.
            They both use the same rotor and caliper. So spacing is the same.

Steeltech's bracket is very simple and kinda prehistoric looking...but it works fine.
            Turners bracket is very nicely done....but it's designed for stopping a Mac truck.

While both work just fine, I prefer not adding a bunch of weight to the spindle...makes the shocks, springs and tires work that much harder. I just cleaned up the S.T. bracket, repainted it. No one see's it anyway! I ended up selling the Turner kit because the car it was on, now has a C4 Corvette all aluminum frt. suspension on it.

Just one persons opinion.

Mike

Comment

Van, Though I don't know anything pro or con on the ST brake kit, I have installed the Turner kit on my 53 Commander. I highly recommend it. It was fairly easy to install, the quality is outstanding, and the stopping power is great with the single piston GM caliper, I didn't use a power booster but after many miles of use I don't see any need for it and if you have any questions Mr. Turner is very helpful. No I'm not getting any kickbacks for this plug, just my honest opinion. dclewallen

Darryl C. Lewallen
              Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

Comment

I have been working on adapting PBR brakes to an Avanti. These are used on Corvettes a few years ago and have been used on Mustang Cobra's. They are also used by Baer Brakes for many of their kits. This is on the back burner while I work on my Avanti for Bonneville. But after that I will have a 4 wheel kit available (towards the end of the year). These PBR calipers are Aluminum and are quite light weight.

David L
                David L

Comment

David, put me on your list when you get the brake project ready to go. Stupid question --What does PBR stand for--- power brake ?

53commander HDTP
                  53 Champion HDTP
                  64 Champ long bed V8
                  64 GT
                  64 Champ long bed V8
                  55/53 Studebaker President S/R
                  53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

I assume he's referring to PBR the australian company... used to be Repco... famous for "metalmaster" brake pads

nate

--
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    62 Daytona hardtop
                    http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
                    --
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Yes PBR is an Austrailian company. However most of these calipers are manufactured in the US. If you look at the BAER web sight you will see these calipers. They have the BAER name on them but we wouldn't use those.

David L
                      David L

Comment

I want the thank you all for your input, Studebaker people are the greatest.

54 Commander HT
                        63 Hawk R-1
                        PS I will be in Atlanta on the 16 Apr with the 54 for the Georgia State Meet.

Comment

Working...
                        X