Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I trekked to a body shop in Fresno yesterday. Went there to pick up some Wagonaire stuff and gander at the 55 Speedster the shop's got in work. Imagine restoring a car you bought new, some 50 years ago![:0] That's the case with this Speedster. Owner bought it new in 1955. A black and white rendition. Pretty cool!

Miscreant at large.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

are you talking about the one on eBay right now? that's a pretty car too and I like the color combo better

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      62 Daytona hardtop
      http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

No Nate - this is a different one. I'm continually amazed at how many of these Speedsters (and Packard Hawks) have survived thru time. So few were built and yet they keep coming out of the woodwork![:0]

Miscreant at large.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Mr. Bigg's post reminded me to ask for anyone who knows of a Packard Hawk to forward its owner's name to me. I keep a roster of the surviving Packard Hawks. He is correct in that a lot of the cars survive. I have documented 234 as of this date.
          Mike
          www.packardhawk.com

Comment

Ya know, Mike - that's simply AMAZING![:0] To think that of only 588 P-Hawks built, 234 survive. And you can bet there's a few more "out there" waiting to be discovered.

Miscreant at large.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by MikeW

Mr. Bigg's post reminded me to ask for anyone who knows of a Packard Hawk to forward its owner's name to me. I keep a roster of the surviving Packard Hawks. He is correct in that a lot of the cars survive. I have documented 234 as of this date.
              Mike
              www.packardhawk.com
              I'm glad that ya put a way to get hold of ya here Mike. I already sent the owners of the PH, who wanted info, your email address. Can you ask the SDC webmaster to put your name in the links so everybody who has a PH has an easy time finding you? Thanks in advance.

Sonny
              http://RacingStudebakers.com
              Sonny
              http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

That's really unbelieveable! Looks absolutely great! [:0]

Livin' in Germany: 1949 Studebaker Champion Regal Deluxe Starlight Coupe

Comment

quote:Originally posted by MikeW

Mike
                  www.packardhawk.com
                  Mike,
                  I couldn't get your home page to work?
                  What's your definition of a surviving packard hawk? I assume mostly complete. I know of a family in NW New. Mexico where I grew up that ran the local Stude dealer. Went from Stude to Datsun, and still operating as a small Nissan dealer. Several members of the family were into studes at one time and I could see a PH in their stash from the road. In the late 70's when I had my first stude (I still have it) they would sell mech parts but trim and parts cars etc were strictly forbidden to part with. I'm not sure of the status of the cars etc but I'll email you the family name and you might purse it via the SDC roster. I think a person either loves or hates the looks of a PH. I never quite liked them. On the other hand how do you go wrong with a blown leather int. Burke designed STUDE!!!!

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
                  57 SH (project)
                  60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                  53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                  57 SH (project)

Comment

Sonny, I shall take your suggestion and ask that I have a spot on the SDC site. By the way I am up to 235 now. They do just pop out of the woodwork. I had to reset the server so the page (www.packardhawk.com) should be up and running again now. I will list any car that has survived. By survived I mean it is largely intact and recognizable as a Packard Hawk. They range from some that are like new (or better) and some that I would best qualify as parts cars but some well meaning soul thinks they will restore. These are the ones that have not yet met that big junk yard fate. Of the 235 less than 100 are being driven and even less than that are "show cars". Any owner who asks will recieve a copy of the surviving cars list. I only share the names of those who agree to list their cars. I provide them with the original color code the engine number, body number and serial numbers of the surviving cars. I keep a little more information like the car's location, condition and the owner's email address. These things I don't usually share. I have had a lot of help from Ron Ellerbee (of JT News)and he has the information that I have.

I think that Speedster will always be known as Stan's car as it well should be. My prayers go out to him and his family. This is a reminder that we all face the same thing. I hope I can be as thoughtful and gracious as he is being. More power to you Stan!
                    Mike Williams
                    www.packardhawk.com

Mike
                    www.packardhawk.com

Comment

I see you've been chatting about the Speedster I bought from Stan. Thanks for all the kind words sbout Stan's work, I've just been driving and detailing it for a few weeks. Here's more recent pix:

http://www.stude.com/Speedster/new/

64 Challenger (Green Wrapper)
                      63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                      55 Speedster
                      50 2R 10 truck
                      JDP Maryland

Comment

I spoke too soon. www.packardhawk is down. I will get it back up later today.

Mike
                        www.packardhawk.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

Please don't "blame" the Packard Hawk on Robert Bourke. Bob was long gone from Loewy Studios before the Packard Hawk was designed. If you mean that the Packard Hawk was based on the 1953 Starliner that Bob designed, I will go along with you.
                          "Blame" is a strong word, unless one feels ill about the design. Thanks for going along with me

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
                          57 SH (project)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                          53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                          57 SH (project)

Comment

Please don't "blame" the Packard Hawk on Robert Bourke. Bob was long gone from Loewy Studios before the Packard Hawk was designed. If you mean that the Packard Hawk was based on the 1953 Starliner that Bob designed, I will go along with you.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                            X