Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1961 Hawk with rumble seat

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 1961 Hawk with rumble seat

    Looking for information and it was suggested that I get on the Forum site to see if others can help me out.
    Was looking at the 1961 Studebaker Hawk with Rumble seat on the pictures sight of John MackDonald. Would appreicate information on if anyone knows who knows the owner of that Hawk. I've only seen one other one like it and was initally told that the rumble seat vehicle is rare ? and there are very few of them. I know the owner of one and trying to assist him in trying to figure out if there are many more or not, what it's worth etc., etc.

    any info can be emailed to me at pantera@netonecom.net

    Thank you.

  • #2
    I recall an earlier conversation about this, and IIRC, it was a dealer built and installed conversion. Somewhere between 2 and 4 were built.

    Having said that, and knowing a Hawk trunk like I know the cracks in my hands... There sure isn't much room in there. Maybe a couple of kids.... You'd have to sit in a fetal position, or your legs would have to go straight forward and sit up on the shelf.

    Betcha there's a TW article out there somewhere...
    Jeff[8D]




    quote:Originally posted by Randy

    Looking for information and it was suggested that I get on the Forum site to see if others can help me out.
    Was looking at the 1961 Studebaker Hawk with Rumble seat on the pictures sight of John MackDonald. Would appreicate information on if anyone knows who knows the owner of that Hawk. I've only seen one other one like it and was initally told that the rumble seat vehicle is rare ? and there are very few of them. I know the owner of one and trying to assist him in trying to figure out if there are many more or not, what it's worth etc., etc.

    any info can be emailed to me at pantera@netonecom.net

    Thank you.
    DEEPNHOCK@worldnet.att.net
    '61 Hawk
    '37 Coupe Express
    http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

    Jeff


    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain



    Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

    Comment


    • #3
      Well, that's what I had originally heard also that there were actually only 2 of these conversions built and that one was lost in a fire so possibly that the one I'm aware of is the only remaining one ? But, that may not be true if I can find out where and when the picture was taken that shows on John's picture site. Also , what do you mean there is probably a TW article ? what is a TW article ?

      Thanks,
      Randy

      Comment


      • #4
        Jeff is referring to Turning Wheels, the Studebaker Drivers Club monthly magazine. You get it "free " with your membership, and it is the best car marque mag around IMHO. This forum is a product of the SDC as a matter of fact.

        quote:Originally posted by Randy

        Well, that's what I had originally heard also that there were actually only 2 of these conversions built and that one was lost in a fire so possibly that the one I'm aware of is the only remaining one ? But, that may not be true if I can find out where and when the picture was taken that shows on John's picture site. Also , what do you mean there is probably a TW article ? what is a TW article ?

        Thanks,
        Randy
        Sam Roberts

        Comment


        • #5
          quote:Originally posted by Sam Roberts

          Jeff is referring to Turning Wheels, the Studebaker Drivers Club monthly magazine. You get it "free " with your membership, and it is the best car marque mag around IMHO. This forum is a product of the SDC as a matter of fact.

          quote:Originally posted by Randy

          Well, that's what I had originally heard also that there were actually only 2 of these conversions built and that one was lost in a fire so possibly that the one I'm aware of is the only remaining one ? But, that may not be true if I can find out where and when the picture was taken that shows on John's picture site. Also , what do you mean there is probably a TW article ? what is a TW article ?

          Thanks,
          Randy
          Sam Roberts

          Comment


          • #6
            So is there a way for me to check previous articles in the turning wheels magazine or just posting this note, as I am, would someone maybe? find it in an old magazine that they have and offer to fax me a photo copy of it (Fax 231-796-2095) cause I would really appreciate it if someone found something .
            Thanks for all the help so far
            Randy

            Comment


            • #7
              If I knew any possible issue it was covered in, I can scan it out and send you on email, or by USPS. ( but I'd rather upchuck than use USPS ) I just don't know what issue, if any, that it was in.



              quote:Originally posted by Randy

              So is there a way for me to check previous articles in the turning wheels magazine or just posting this note, as I am, would someone maybe? find it in an old magazine that they have and offer to fax me a photo copy of it (Fax 231-796-2095) cause I would really appreciate it if someone found something .
              Thanks for all the help so far
              Randy
              Sam Roberts

              Comment


              • #8
                Not a problem and again appreciate the help. I'll just hope that someone reads these notations and if they have any more info on a 61 Hawk with a rumble seat or have ever heard of anything like this , or have seen an article on it will get in touch with me via Email

                Again, thanks, Randy

                Comment


                • #9
                  I knew this conversion was covered in TW. It's written up in the June '89 issue. It says that 4 rumble-seat conversions were built. 2 Hawks and 2 Lark convertibles. There's some confusion about the cost of the conversion. Car & Driver magazine mentions it as being called a "Bearcat Kit" and costing $400. But a window sticker from one of the converted Hawks lists the price as $700. ALOT of moola in '61 !!!
                  The idea was devised by dealer Frank Hilker of Chicago and built by Cooley Bors. of Bradley, IL. Studebaker Co. was not involved in the development or sale of these.[:I]
                  The article says that one of the Hawks was owned by a Dale Kuhn of Pekin IL. It also states that that very same Hawk was shown in the Feb. '78 TW and was listed for sale in the May'78 as well.
                  I looked at the Feb. 78 TW and it shows one photo of the Hawk from the rear. The caption says the Rumble seat Hawk won "Ladies Choice" award at a zone meet. It mentions the Hawk being one of 3 built. I'm missing the May'78 TW, so I can't review the classified ad that's purported to be therein. [V]
                  If I can state my feelings as to it's worth, I'd say not much more than a standard '61 HAwk. Sure, it's rare - but since it wasn't a factory authorized rendition, I doubt it would add much to a Hawk's real worth. Some extra value, no doubt. But not in the case of an unrestored car.[|)]

                  Miscreant at large.
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I have them all scanned, but do not know how to post pix here. So if anyone interested wants pix, email me at sroberts@onlyinternet.net and I will send to you.

                    WARNING!!! The pix total 500 kb, that is 1/2 a meg, so on dial up you can drink a tall cool one as you wait!

                    quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

                    I knew this conversion was covered in TW. It's written up in the June '89 issue. It says that 4 rumble-seat conversions were built. 2 Hawks and 2 Lark convertibles. There's some confusion about the cost of the conversion. Car & Driver magazine mentions it as being called a "Bearcat Kit" and costing $400. But a window sticker from one of the converted Hawks lists the price as $700. ALOT of moola in '61 !!!
                    The idea was devised by dealer Frank Hilker of Chicago and built by Cooley Bors. of Bradley, IL. Studebaker Co. was not involved in the development or sale of these.[:I]
                    The article says that one of the Hawks was owned by a Dale Kuhn of Pekin IL. It also states that that very same Hawk was shown in the Feb. '78 TW and was listed for sale in the May'78 as well.
                    I looked at the Feb. 78 TW and it shows one photo of the Hawk from the rear. The caption says the Rumble seat Hawk won "Ladies Choice" award at a zone meet. It mentions the Hawk being one of 3 built. I'm missing the May'78 TW, so I can't review the classified ad that's purported to be therein. [V]
                    If I can state my feelings as to it's worth, I'd say not much more than a standard '61 HAwk. Sure, it's rare - but since it wasn't a factory authorized rendition, I doubt it would add much to a Hawk's real worth. Some extra value, no doubt. But not in the case of an unrestored car.[|)]

                    Miscreant at large.
                    Sam Roberts

                    Comment


                    • #11



                      quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

                      I knew this conversion was covered in TW. It's written up in the June '89 issue. It says that 4 rumble-seat conversions were built. 2 Hawks and 2 Lark convertibles. There's some confusion about the cost of the conversion. Car & Driver magazine mentions it as being called a "Bearcat Kit" and costing $400. But a window sticker from one of the converted Hawks lists the price as $700. ALOT of moola in '61 !!!
                      The idea was devised by dealer Frank Hilker of Chicago and built by Cooley Bors. of Bradley, IL. Studebaker Co. was not involved in the development or sale of these.[:I]
                      The article says that one of the Hawks was owned by a Dale Kuhn of Pekin IL. It also states that that very same Hawk was shown in the Feb. '78 TW and was listed for sale in the May'78 as well.
                      I looked at the Feb. 78 TW and it shows one photo of the Hawk from the rear. The caption says the Rumble seat Hawk won "Ladies Choice" award at a zone meet. It mentions the Hawk being one of 3 built. I'm missing the May'78 TW, so I can't review the classified ad that's purported to be therein. [V]
                      If I can state my feelings as to it's worth, I'd say not much more than a standard '61 HAwk. Sure, it's rare - but since it wasn't a factory authorized rendition, I doubt it would add much to a Hawk's real worth. Some extra value, no doubt. But not in the case of an unrestored car.[|)]

                      Miscreant at large.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

                        I knew this conversion was covered in TW. It's written up in the June '89 issue. It says that 4 rumble-seat conversions were built. 2 Hawks and 2 Lark convertibles. There's some confusion about the cost of the conversion. Car & Driver magazine mentions it as being called a "Bearcat Kit" and costing $400. But a window sticker from one of the converted Hawks lists the price as $700. ALOT of moola in '61 !!!
                        The idea was devised by dealer Frank Hilker of Chicago and built by Cooley Bors. of Bradley, IL. Studebaker Co. was not involved in the development or sale of these.[:I]
                        The article says that one of the Hawks was owned by a Dale Kuhn of Pekin IL. It also states that that very same Hawk was shown in the Feb. '78 TW and was listed for sale in the May'78 as well.
                        I looked at the Feb. 78 TW and it shows one photo of the Hawk from the rear. The caption says the Rumble seat Hawk won "Ladies Choice" award at a zone meet. It mentions the Hawk being one of 3 built. I'm missing the May'78 TW, so I can't review the classified ad that's purported to be therein. [V]
                        If I can state my feelings as to it's worth, I'd say not much more than a standard '61 HAwk. Sure, it's rare - but since it wasn't a factory authorized rendition, I doubt it would add much to a Hawk's real worth. Some extra value, no doubt. But not in the case of an unrestored car.[|)]

                        Miscreant at large.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Just returned from vacation and checked posted information. A BIG THANKS to Mr. Bigg on the info from magazine. Now I'll investigate the names mentioned. Also have asked for the pixs to be sent to me. I really appreicate all the help the forum has given me and will try to remember to check on it at times to see if further information is posted. This will really help my friend on his hawk. Thanks again. Randy

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X