Hah? How much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hah? How much?

Long story short - finally convinced someone to sell me their 62 Lark that's been sitting idle for 20 something years. Knowing NoThInG about cars, I took it to a mechanic shop to see how much it would cost to get it running. They came back with $15-20k. I'm sorry, what was that? I thought you said 15 to 20 ThOuSaNd dollars.

Okay, so, is that...'normal'?

Deets: everything about the car, inside and out, is original, with 30,000 miles. The only thing it didn't have in it was a battery. What the mechanic told me was that the piston valves seized. Basically that they would need to take engine and transmission out, and...'refurbish' I guess. Everything from fuel system flush to brake system. So, I guess my question is, does that sound about right?

If so, I'm going to have to sell it. It's not fair to let it sit for another 20 years while I wait for an inheritance or something.

Thanks in advance.

Not normal at all. That is WAY too high. Get a couple more estimates.

Comment

Boogs

My guess is that after setting 20 years that the engine is in some state of frozen. How bad it is seized is difficult to determine from a distance.

It sounds like a nice car but the question you asked is tough to answer but I'll bet someone with a history of Studes could get it going for a lot less.

My best recommendation is to find the closest SDC chapter to you, join up and let them help you with your evaluation. A lot of experience is available locally if you just ask.

Oh!! The price of advice is pictures.

Bob

, ,

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Boogs

Long story short - finally convinced someone to sell me their 62 Lark that's been sitting idle for 20 something years. Knowing NoThInG about cars, I took it to a mechanic shop to see how much it would cost to get it running. They came back with $15-20k. I'm sorry, what was that? I thought you said 15 to 20 ThOuSaNd dollars.

Okay, so, is that...'normal'?

Deets: everything about the car, inside and out, is original, with 30,000 miles. The only thing it didn't have in it was a battery. What the mechanic told me was that the piston valves seized. Basically that they would need to take engine and transmission out, and...'refurbish' I guess. Everything from fuel system flush to brake system. So, I guess my question is, does that sound about right?

If so, I'm going to have to sell it. It's not fair to let it sit for another 20 years while I wait for an inheritance or something.

Thanks in advance.

I've seen shops charge 5K or so the R&R a engine and rebuild. You have to account for $75/hour or so labor, and even 40 hours labor would add up to 3K. That's why it's never a good idea to buy a old car that needs a lot of work unless you can do it.

JDP Maryland
        JDP Maryland

Comment

I agree, pictures please.[^] And the price is way too high. If the piston is seased, there are ways to get it loose. Take the head off and see how bad it is. Pour some penetrating oil in the bad cylinder. (I reccomend PB Blaster) Let it sit for a few days and put a pry bar in the front pulley that turns the belt and pull. If it starts to free up, your'e doing good. If it's still tight, repeat the whole process with more oil. If your'e a CASO like me, I have also heard that Coke will do the same thing in cylinders. It dosen't surprise me because I tested that once on a stuck lawnmower engine that I had for one of my racers.[:0][][8] I would also at leist get your engine going before you look at the tranny. It's typically hard to tell if one is broken without testing it, but sometimes they can be broken without you knowing it at first... (Ask me how I know[xx(]) Good luck with your project and I look forward to seeing it!

Chris Dresbach. South Bend, In.

1940 Champion two door. (Restoration in progress)
          1952 Model N prototype. (Restoration in progress)
          1963 Prototype cart built by Studebaker. (Origional condition)
          Chris Dresbach

Comment

I dunno how to do this photo stuff, so gonna see if this works...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2672001...n/photostream/

Comment

My guess is that they really don't want to do the work and threw out an absurd price thinking you will run away ( as you should ).

BTW, I agree with JDP. If you have to rely on someone else buy a running, finished car and learn as much as you can to maintain it properly yourself. It's an expensive hobby for the people that do their own work ridiculously so if you can't. No offense meant just reality.

Think this out...you could probably escape with little or no loss at this moment. Begin taking it apart or let someone else do it and you will never be ahead. I wish I had taken my own advice a few times and I can fix them without outside help.

ErnieR

1988 "Beater" Avanti---R2 R5388 @ Macungie 2006

Comment

If the body is solid an engine transplant could be done by even an expensive shop in the $1500-2000 range. Is it a 6 or an 8? Many options to build a nice car at 1/3 - 1/4 of that money. Show cars are expensive and if he is talking a frame up, first class complete resto then NO! that is not out of line. Not a wise descision in my opinion, but not out of line. Still way too much for the work you list. Good Luck, Steve

sigpic

Comment

Looks like a nice car, definately worth saving in my opinion. I would look at transplanting a full-flow engine from a 63 or 64 into it and driving it. A good running one should be available reasonable enough. That is assuming yours is really hopelessly stuck. It might break free with little effort. Studebakers consistently amaze me with how well they react after being awakened from a long slumber. Good Luck,Steve

sigpic

Comment

Boogs,
                    I think that's way out of line.
                    For 15-20K you could nearly put a '62 Lark in to showroom condition.
                    We need to know more about the car (photos help) and your abilities and facilities.
                    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

I know in my case I was very fortunate, but I probably put less than 500 into my 63 lark to get it running. I use the term loosely though, it would go around the block and that's about as far as I would drive it. The car had been sitting for 35 years and I just came across the very first picture I took of it.

Then with a couple days of scrubbing it looked like this:

So stay positive and you have definitely come to the right place for advice[8D] These people are awesome.

Comment

$15K-$20K just to get it running sounds like they really do not want to work on the car and probably do not know anything about Studebakers or the availability of parts for them. If you do not do your own work and you have no sentimental attachment to the car, I suggest selling it as it is without pouring any more money into it. It may be a good buy for someone that does their own work and may have a spare engine setting around (if needed). Many cars sit for 20 years and need very little to get running and others need a major transplant. Of course, after 20 years the car will need brake, exhaust and fuel system work, even if you do get it running. If you do not do your own work, buy the best condition, running car that you can swing financially.

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Boogs,
                          That's way out of line. I work in the auto repair industry. Give me an email at evan.d@skvelocity.ca and we can chat- i sent you an email with my phone number as well if that helps. I'm next door to you in Saskatchewan. Thanks.

Evan Davis
                          Prairie Bulletin
                          Saskatchewan Chapter
                          Prince Albert, Sk
                          http://www.saskstudebaker.ca/Studebaker.html
                          Evan Davis
                          Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

Someone is trying to take you to the cleaners. Hook up with a local Studebaker chapter and have them look at it. I suggest Rislone in the oil. After about 75 miles many internal stuck parts, valves, etc start to move a little better. I have a twin to your car in my pole barn. Great color combo. Your car is well worth saving, but you need some honest people who know what they are doing to assist. Again reach out to your local chapter.

58 Packards
                            62 & 63 Larks

Comment

Well, young man, you've taken the plunge and must stand up to it. You'll need a 1/2 inch socket set and a sparkplug socket sufficient to your plugs. I'll look up the size in a bit and edit to include it.

Anyway, pull the plugs, one at a time, then pour a little Marvel Mystery Oil in each plug hole. Half an ounce or so each should do the job. Replace the plug finger tight. Do this for each of the cylinders. This needs to sit for a week or so. Change the oil.

Now, are you sure that the Starter is any good? If it is, then you are in business. If not, it'll need replacing.

Buy a battery, the best you can afford.

BUY A FIRE EXTINGUISHER! Likely you won't ever need it. However, that's just too nice of a car to take a chance.

Now, whilst that engine is soaking, get ahold of the local (Alberta?) chapter of the S.D.C. and start inquiring of the members for assistance. I think you will find they will be delighted to help. The SDC is the most friendly car club I've ever seen.

As to the mechanic, he's an idiot. You can have the car completely re-done for twenty-five to thirty thousand dollars. Well, not what we call a frame-off, but then your car doesn't need it. So twenty thousand to "refurbish" the engine was a way to tell you to bugger off. It would have been more polite to simply tell you he didn't want to be bothered (which I've had mechanics tell me). If you have a newer transportation car, I wouldn't take that to him either. Someone that rude doesn't deserve the business.

I hope you don't mind my posting a shot or two of your car:

Now, that's a beautiful tail! Look at those beautiful, expensive tail light lenses.

A hundred-twenty MPH speedo? Now, that's not common. I believe that insinuates that your motor may be something special.

Looks like a fairly low trim level, still... is that a beautiful seat or what? The rubber and windlace are even still intact[] (I... am... so... jealous)! Looks like the radio is missing, however, a good radio is available from Studebaker International. In fact, you will be surprised what parts are available for your car.
                              This link will demonstrate that to you:
                              http://www.studebakervendors.com/

The paint's decent, doesn't appear to have any rust in the heels of the front fenders (a common problem with Studees). None in the rear quarters either. There appears to be just a bit on the right side where the hood meets the grille face. It also looks like there's a touch above the left headlamp. Then again that could just be a bit of dirt. All in all, a heck of a nice car![^] If you paid less than a thousand for it, you did well. Even two wouldn't be too very bad due to the over all condition (your interior is likely worth more).

All in all, you have an enviable car, even with the motor problem. By the by, I've seen running motors for less than fifteen hundred dollars. If I can swap a motor, my friend, you can too.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                              Ron Smith
                              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                              X