No announcement yet.

Avanti?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's interesting advice re. Avanti power windows, JDP, and good advice I'm sure. I've been wishing it were easier to find two manual mechanisms. I have intermittent problems, though I think the switch problem is less common on the A II, and I suspect the relay or wiring. Mine is a 1985 with the switches on the console.

To answer Gil's original question, I drove an early 70's Corvette once and thought that the car would plum come apart at the railroad crossings. Avantis have never had structural defects like that as long as the hog troughs and frame are not rusty. Studebaker's choice of the Mercedes door latches helped a lot too.

Gene Nagle
    1963 Hawk R1
    1985 Avanti
    Gene Nagle
    1963 Hawk R1
    1985 Avanti

Comment

The power window motors (on 63 & 64 Avanti's)are the same as used on Fords of the same era. The switches are exactly the same as 57 T-bird with the exception of the knob being a different color. Perhaps the problems with the motors is due to the door glass on the Avanti being so much larger than others of that time. I do remember seeing that those doors were the longest at that time.

60 Lark convertible
      61 Champ
      62 Daytona convertible
      63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2)
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

quote:Basic rule of thumb for a power window Avantis, convert to manual ASAP. The motors are tiny, draw so much current that they fry the switches and wiring and will bust the doors if they bind.

JDP Maryland
        There are vendors that sale brand new replacement motors for use with the original Avanti power windows regulators. There is also a set up out there to convert Avanti Power windows to a regulator using a modern GM motor and switch set up.

John

63R-2386 under restoration & modification
        sigpic
        John
        63R-2386
        Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

While definitely problematic, I'd say power window issues rank in the lower quartile of the problems you'll likely have to address with a "cheap" Avanti. Ya got to get a car that will crank, run and stop, first. And you don't want one with rusted troughs or frame. [:0]

edp/NC
          '63 Avanti
          '66 Commander
          edp/NC
          \'63 Avanti
          \'66 Commander

Comment

Boy am I glad my Avanti has hand power:-)

Comment

The best handling, most solid feeling and modern car ever to come out of South Bend - I love my GT Hawk but the Avanti is the choice for a road trip in rainy weather. I've been running gas shocks for years and that makes it even better!

I bought mine at York in 1993 for 11,000 grand and everthing had been redone, except for paint, which I took care of a year later ( four thousand bucks.) I think it's a keeper.

Russ Farris

1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
              1964 Avanti R-1 Auto
              1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
              1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

Working...
              X