Washington title for 37 CE - police inspection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washington title for 37 CE - police inspection

I live in Indiana and I have a state of Washington's title for my 37 CE that I am ready to transfer.

On the title the engine number id is "T867".
    I see no such numbers on the engine block.
    Also I see no four character numbers of any kind on the block.

I need to have police inspection before I can transfer the title to my name.

Does anyone know how they come up with those 4 character engine numbers?

Thanks

Paul

Possibly from a replacement Engine that was in the car at the time of registration. They were I.D.'d by Engine Number at the time.

I don't know if you could prove it's the correct car like I did on 2 of my '54's because of your car's age, but I showed the Highway Patrol the Production order proving that the current engine was original, and then had them use the matching Car Serial number on the title like it SHOULD be!

That of course would not work in your case, since you may not have the original engine or production order.

I have seen cars registered with the casting number of the Intake Or Exhaust Manifold, Cylinder Head or Block casting number etc. some States do not have a clue! Try looking EVERYWHERE! [^]

That sounds like it could have come from a Transmission! (T-86)

Is there any chance you could come up with some old Registration Cards from the Prior owner or owners? Old Titles, Insurance Policies, Loan Docs, anything about this car could have the actual Serial Number or original Engine Number.

StudeRich
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Yes, that's an engine number alright. 1937 Coupe Express J5 engine numbers started at T701.
      Do you know where to look for that number? It should be [u]stamped</u> in a smooth pad about 1/2" X 2" located at the top, front corner, left side of the engine block.

Comment

The number stamped on that engine block on top of the distributor is as far as I can tell is "86980".
        What would that be?

The transmission has a number that resembles T867.

?????

Comment

I mistakenly told you the engine number pad would be in the upper corner at the front of the block. On a '37 it was still above the distributor, where you found yours. I don't know what '86980' is though. It doesn't fit any engines of that type. It almost sounds like a casting number, but it's not anything I have in my data base.
          I can understand the transmission being a model T86, but it seems odd that it would have the same numbers as on the engine.

Comment

$7.97 at Harbor Freight

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I think I will do that.
              Thanks.
              Paul

Comment

Code:
                $7.97 at Harbor Freight
                That's what I was thinking. The TITLE is the hard part. With that and a stamping set, you CAN "find" the number on any older vehicle.

Steve Hudson
                The Dalles, Oregon
                1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
                1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
                1953 Champion Starliner (custom/rod project)
                1954 Champion Coupe (daily driver)
                1960 Hawk (future project?)

Steve Hudson
                The Dalles, Oregon
                1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
                1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
                1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Comment

stamped into[u]not</u> register this truck using the engine number! Do it right and use the serial number. It is there.

Richard Quinn
                  Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review
                  Richard Quinn
                  Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Thank you Mr. Quinn.

I have all those plates and found the number under the frame.
                    Yes I would like to register it under the proper serial number.

My problem started with the title being registered with an engine number that I don't have and I am in the process of "fixing" that.

Paul

Comment

1937 Coupe Express ID tag location

Thanks Richard Quinn. That is exactly the information I have been looking for. I have the frame tag that was removed for a subframe install before I purchased the truck and I needed to know where it was originally. I am going to try to find the frame stamping under the drivers entrance.
                      Thanks again.
                      1957 Silver Hawk & 1935 Dictator Street Rod
                      Belmont, NC

Comment

Working...
                      X