Thanks to all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks to all

I wanted to take a minute and thank everyone for their help. Everytime I ask a question I get plenty answers and that has been a real help for a " newbee " like me. I have been able to get more help on this forum than any BMV or parts place I have called. I still don't have a Hawk yet, but it's just a question of time. Maybe there will be something at York on the 3rd. If anyone is going, I'd love to meet you. While I'm writing, the museum tells me that the vin tag on a 57 silver hawk is spot welded on. If anyone knows what that string of numbers looks like, that would be good information for me to have.
    Usually, vin numbers for cars follow a certain(" protocol" ) like 3 letters and a string of say 7 numbers or the like. Anything will help. Thanks to everyone again! Regards---Dan

I'm a major lover of old cars. I love old Lincolns and Cadillacs especially. I had a good-running but raggedy 64 Commander follow me home trying to escape the crusher. I would have saved it, but not had much interest in it- probably ditched it on eBay or something.

Just for the heck of it I did a search on the word "Studebaker" and found this site....

The rest is history

I posted about whether the 64 was worth saving... not only was I answered, I was welcomed- which fed my interest- which led me to a LOT of learning about Studes- which made me fall in love with the marque [8D]

I now have 5 Studes- and counting!! And no other group of enthusiasts can even come close to Stude people- a truly great group![^] That's why, when I have something to offer, I like to share it- sort of my own lame version of "Paying it forward"!

I will only be able to be at York Friday, as I have to work Sat. So if it happens that you (or anyone here, for that matter) will be there, I would be glad to meet you!!

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I'm a major lover of old cars. I love old Lincolns and Cadillacs especially. I had a good-running but raggedy 64 Commander follow me home trying to escape the crusher. I would have saved it, but not had much interest in it- probably ditched it on eBay or something.

Just for the heck of it I did a search on the word "Studebaker" and found this site....

The rest is history

I posted about whether the 64 was worth saving... not only was I answered, I was welcomed- which fed my interest- which led me to a LOT of learning about Studes- which made me fall in love with the marque [8D]

I now have 5 Studes- and counting!! And no other group of enthusiasts can even come close to Stude people- a truly great group![^] That's why, when I have something to offer, I like to share it- sort of my own lame version of "Paying it forward"!

I will only be able to be at York Friday, as I have to work Sat. So if it happens that you (or anyone here, for that matter) will be there, I would be glad to meet you!!

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

BAMS,

I will be set up outside with a trailer full of stuff, so stop by. Look for the blue Explorer with the white enclosed trailer outside the main building. If you can not find me, look up Frank in the main building opposite the rest rooms.

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

BAMS,

I will be set up outside with a trailer full of stuff, so stop by. Look for the blue Explorer with the white enclosed trailer outside the main building. If you can not find me, look up Frank in the main building opposite the rest rooms.

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

You bet, Gary; looking forward to it!![8D]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

You bet, Gary; looking forward to it!![8D]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Dan; I am not on the East Coast so I can not meet you at York, but it's good to have you with us, and I hope you find a nice Studebaker. You asked about the serial numbers & somehow it got lost in the "York" hipe.

Studebaker serial numbers did not really have a "system" until 1959, if you find a pre-1959 the only clue is the Champions use "G" starting numbers, so if you see a V-8 with a "G" serial you know it is modified. Commanders & Presidents just have a Usually 7 degit #. Of course if you had a copy of one of the front pages from a Stude. Body or Chassis Parts Catalog, or as one guy I know...a hand held mini-computer of some sort that had both entire Catalogs from CD Disk downloaded to it so he could pick up any part at a swap meet and I.D. it's part #! Anyway it's all broken down by starting serial of each year.

After 1958 they started a new system. All 6 Cyl. cars are "59S" prefix, all 8 cyl. cars are 59V, 60V etc. up to 64S,64V then 64SC 64VC Canada for the late '64's that were made in Canada & Imported to U.S. Then from there, the Canadian system took over and it's completely different, and is way beyond your scope of interest, since you want a '57.

A 1957 Silver Hawk 8, is considered a President because of the standard 289 engine, so it's starting serial would be 7,188,901. Silver Hawk 6's are Champions and start at: G-1,379,201 '58's start at 7,210,001 and 6's at G-1,405,401

And YES, the serial number plate is stainless steel & welded on the driver's forward door POST with 2 or more electric welds.

You would want to look for a "P" (call it President) starting Engine number in a '57 SH 8, to be sure someone has not put a 259 "V" code engine in it. [^]

quote:Originally posted by DWard

If anyone knows what that string of numbers looks like, that would be good information for me to have.
                Usually, vin numbers for cars follow a certain(" protocol" ) like 3 letters and a string of say 7 numbers or the like.
                StudeRich
                Studebakers Northwest
                Ferndale, WA
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Dan; I am not on the East Coast so I can not meet you at York, but it's good to have you with us, and I hope you find a nice Studebaker. You asked about the serial numbers & somehow it got lost in the "York" hipe.

Studebaker serial numbers did not really have a "system" until 1959, if you find a pre-1959 the only clue is the Champions use "G" starting numbers, so if you see a V-8 with a "G" serial you know it is modified. Commanders & Presidents just have a Usually 7 degit #. Of course if you had a copy of one of the front pages from a Stude. Body or Chassis Parts Catalog, or as one guy I know...a hand held mini-computer of some sort that had both entire Catalogs from CD Disk downloaded to it so he could pick up any part at a swap meet and I.D. it's part #! Anyway it's all broken down by starting serial of each year.

After 1958 they started a new system. All 6 Cyl. cars are "59S" prefix, all 8 cyl. cars are 59V, 60V etc. up to 64S,64V then 64SC 64VC Canada for the late '64's that were made in Canada & Imported to U.S. Then from there, the Canadian system took over and it's completely different, and is way beyond your scope of interest, since you want a '57.

A 1957 Silver Hawk 8, is considered a President because of the standard 289 engine, so it's starting serial would be 7,188,901. Silver Hawk 6's are Champions and start at: G-1,379,201 '58's start at 7,210,001 and 6's at G-1,405,401

And YES, the serial number plate is stainless steel & welded on the driver's forward door POST with 2 or more electric welds.

You would want to look for a "P" (call it President) starting Engine number in a '57 SH 8, to be sure someone has not put a 259 "V" code engine in it. [^]

quote:Originally posted by DWard

If anyone knows what that string of numbers looks like, that would be good information for me to have.
                  Usually, vin numbers for cars follow a certain(" protocol" ) like 3 letters and a string of say 7 numbers or the like.
                  StudeRich
                  Studebakers Northwest
                  Ferndale, WA
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If anyone sees a rear brake drum (finned, or unfinned) that will fit a 62 GT please let me know. I took my egg shaped one to a machine shop, and they are afraid that they will break it... too much egg. Looks like the car may have been dropped on the brake drum.

Thank you.

Comment

If anyone sees a rear brake drum (finned, or unfinned) that will fit a 62 GT please let me know. I took my egg shaped one to a machine shop, and they are afraid that they will break it... too much egg. Looks like the car may have been dropped on the brake drum.

Thank you.

Comment

Will a 61 Lark rear drum fit?

Mabel 1949 Champion
                        1957 Silverhawk
                        1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
                        Gus 1958 Transtar
                        Fresno,Ca

Mabel 1949 Champion
                        Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                        Gus 1958 Transtar
                        The Prez 1955 President State
                        Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                        Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                        Fresno,Ca

Comment

Will a 61 Lark rear drum fit?

Mabel 1949 Champion
                          1957 Silverhawk
                          1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
                          Gus 1958 Transtar
                          Fresno,Ca

Mabel 1949 Champion
                          Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                          Gus 1958 Transtar
                          The Prez 1955 President State
                          Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                          Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                          Fresno,Ca

Comment

If it was a V8 Lark - yes.

Miscreant adrift in
                            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

If it was a V8 Lark - yes.

Miscreant adrift in
                              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X