No announcement yet.

Finally got Bess in the garage/shop...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got Bess in the garage/shop...

After over three months of work cleaning and shifting junque, Bess (to quote my son) is in the house! Actually, I pushed her in on Friday. All of this is a month late... however, better late than never, ya-know?

It's interesting how everything on this motor was the same green as the outside of the car. Her beauty was far more than skin deep. I still have a deal more cleaning to do. Also, there's a few things that have deteriorated over the past year or so. For instance, the exhaust valve is stuck at mid-point. It'll have to be replaced. The carb has gotten really stiff. I'll have to soak it to hopefully free it up. I might just plop the bottom of it into a pan of diesel (George style) and see if that does the job.

I pulled the oil pan off yesterday and hammered the big dent out of it. Looks really great now. Thankfully, whatever the O.O. hit with it didn't puncture it. I took a good look at everything inside whilst it was off and it all looks really great. Nice and shiny, no excessive wear or play. I still have to scrub fifty-two years of grunge off the rest of the engine. All I can say to this part of the procedure is, YUK![xx(][)]

All this while still getting the garden going, which is saying a lot around here.
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Glad to see you're getting started. Won't Ed be jealous?[8D]

Skinny
    Watertown, SD
    Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

Hey Ron,
      Sure hope that you are going to pop out those core (soft) plugs and flush out the block? You ain't gonna get any closer than you are now.

Lost in the 50's

Comment

I couldn't tell a 232 from any other Stude V8 (or Packard). Nice 2 door wagon. Style!
        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Its always a judgement call what colours an old car is, with faded paint, dirt, inside a garage under less than perfect light, what a digital camera is interpreting as the shades involved under those conditions, and what a computer is doing to all that input, but is Bess supposed to be Glendale Green and Turquoise?

Jim B on PEI
          63 Wagonaire 259 o/d
          57 Champion W4 o/d
          57 Champion W4 automatic
          57 Commander W4 automatic

Comment

Looks like a great start! Have fun!

Dylan Wills
            Everett, Wa.

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
            Dylan Wills
            Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
            1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
            1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
            1914 Ford Model T

Comment

I'll have to repeat what I always say about the 2-door Conestogas.
              Love those 2 door Conestogas!!!
              Your car looks pretty sound from here. I don't envy you the job of cleaning the engine, but someone has to do it.
              Good luck!!!!
              Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
              Smithtown,NY
              Long Island Studebaker Club
              '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
              Smithtown,NY
              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

You know, I reeeeeally like the Connies too. Bess, however (and I love her too) is a Parkview. The year after ('56).

LOL, I know what you mean about dirt, grunge and telling what type an engine is! Underneath fifty-two years of grime is a strong 259. The only fly in the ointment with Bess' powerplant is the valve noise. She needs her valves adjusted and I don't know how, nor have the tools, nor have the... bravery.[:I][8)] I believe she might have been Sea Mist and Glendale. She's definately not Turquoise (on top). I think it's the flourescent lighting that's making her look bluish. The colour reproduction on the engine, however, is spot on. Probably because of the natural light.

I have a picture of a hawk in the same colour scheme and if I can find it, I'll post the picture. Ah, I found the picture. It was provided to me by a kind gentleman who also provided the paint codes. Sadly, I've lost those codes.[)]

Ed's not jealous because he's getting new brake cylinders here in a week or so, and just might be the one going on the trip to So. Cal. this month. My friend Paula wants to make the trip in Bess. However, that doesn't look very likely as Bess needs a bit before she can be roadworthy again. I'm not sure there's sufficient time to get her done.

Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                Ron Smith

Comment

Comment

Nice car Ron!!![]I've always like the restyling on the 56's[^].
                    Great to see you've made a move on it.
                    Mine's still sitting at a friend's in Wyoming.Been there for a couple of years[V],BUT I may be able to get it when I come for the Nationals...maybe...[8D]

A.C.Moisley
                    A.C.Moisley

Comment

Looking good Ron.. Wish I was a little bit closer so I could walk you through the valve adjustment. Reading the posts on here about valve adjustment would scare anybody. LOL [:0] Its really easy and only requires a feeler gauge, a wrench, and a couple gaskets. Keep the pics coming with your progress.

Gordon

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Chantony

Nice car Ron!!![]I've always like the restyling on the 56's[^].
                        Great to see you've made a move on it.
                        Mine's still sitting at a friend's in Wyoming.Been there for a couple of years[V],BUT I may be able to get it when I come for the Nationals...maybe...[8D]

A.C.Moisley
                        Yes, and perhaps one poor lil' Daytona Wagonaire here? Or do I have the wrong Tony?

Ron Smith
                        Ron Smith

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 31Streetrod

Hey Ron,
                          Sure hope that you are going to pop out those core (soft) plugs and flush out the block? You ain't gonna get any closer than you are now.

Lost in the 50's
                          A valid point. However, right now time is of the essence. Still... that is an idea... if things don't look like I'll be able to make the caravan to La Palma with Bess, I just might do that.

I took the old girl's carb apart yesterday. YEESH!! I forgot how complicated those things were.[:0][}] Now, all I have do to is clean it out and get it back together.[8]

Bess had a friend this morning too:

Poor lil' ol' blue-belly was cold.[|)] So I took him outside and put him on a nice warm, sunny windowsill.

Ron Smith
                          Ron Smith

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studeclunker
                            Bess had a friend this morning too:
                            Your auto insurance agent stopped by for a chat?

63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                            63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Nah, this one was a blue-belly, more like the County Assessor. The insurance agent is a gecko. Much more interesting to talk to. LOL, gotta love the accent too![8D]

Ron Smith
                              Ron Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X