No announcement yet.

Finally got Bess in the garage/shop...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sure aren't complaining, it was cheaper! And for a (just turned) 17 year old, thats a good thing!
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Dylan... isn't that, 'I sure ain't complanin','? Oh gosh, there I go contributing to the delinquency of a minor!

SHE'S ALIVE!!! Bess started and ran today for the first time in well over a year and a half! She's goin' a bit rough, and I have to figure that out. Also, she won't start without a bit of encouragement from starting fluid. But after that she runs just fine! I'll get her transmission sorted out and installed tomorrow.
      Last edited by studeclunker; 06-02-2010, 01:09 AM.
      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Superb!
        Jeff

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
        SHE'S ALIVE!!! Bess started and ran today for the first time in well over a year and a half! She's goin' a bit rough, and I have to figure that out. Also, she won't start without a bit of encouragement from starting fluid. But after that she runs just fine! I'll get her transmission sorted out and installed tomorrow.
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
          Dylan... isn't that, 'I sure ain't complanin','? Oh gosh, there I go contributing to the delinquency of a minor!

Haha! My mom gets after me all the time for using those "words" in the wrong context, or at all. LOL

Awesome! Congrats!
          Dylan Wills
          Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
          1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Well, looks like I've still got only one good 2bbl carb. The back-draft that is proper for Bess isn't working properly. The... wha-da-ya-call-that-thing... needle shutoff valve, needle seat (??) the little triangular thingy with a wee little rubber tip that shuts off the gas and prevents the gas from flooding the carb where the gas comes in from the supply, won't. It sticks shut and won't allow gas. Therefore Bess starves and won't run. Bloody little bugger! This carb has never worked properly anyway. What a... pain in the... um, rear. Ah, well. I'll just have to rob Ed tomorrow afternoon and use his carb again to get her going. First though, I'm going to drill and install the transmission. Once I get her goin' I wanna drive'er. Even if it's just up and down the driveway.
            Last edited by studeclunker; 06-02-2010, 01:08 AM.
            Ron Smith

Comment

What kind of carb do you got? It's a Stromberg WW variant right?
              Dylan Wills
              Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
              1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Yes, Dylan, it's a WW Back-draft variant. The stock carb. The one that works, however, is another variation that's a top-draft from a '52 Commander. Best carb I've got. It keeps getting traded off from the truck (Ed) to the wagon (Bess) and back again. I really need to get the proper carb for Bess straightened out. That way this game of musical carbs can be ended.

Well, I figured out why bess was running so badly. In fact she was only firing on cyls. 1 & 8. The distributor was dirty inside. I replaced the cap (old one was still on) and never thought to blow out the bottom part. So, I thoroughly blew it out today and the change was instantaneous! I put the cap back on and turned her over and ZOOOOM, VA-VOOOM! The throaty full-throated roar of a very healthy 259! No longer the anemic studdering nonsense she was giving me. Bess has always had a really strong engine.

I can't wait to drive her again.

Tomorrow: I take the plunge and drill the '52 tranny to accept the clutch linkage.
                Last edited by studeclunker; 06-02-2010, 01:07 AM. Reason: addition
                Ron Smith

Comment

Well, things got set back a bit when Ed's clutch went out. So, I had to send to S.I. for another disk and robbed Bess of hers, That meant two engines out of the bay and only one returned. The '52 transmission has been drilled, assembled, and installed. I replaced the odd T.O. bearing with a standard sealed bearing and popped the whole assembly back in. In the process, Bess' muffler broke in half, so that'll have to be replaced. Ah well, obviously it needed doing anyway. So, all I have to do is straighten out the carb issues and the old girl is ready to go!
                  Last edited by studeclunker; 07-21-2010, 11:24 PM. Reason: remove sig. line
                  Ron Smith

Comment

Bess' motor and tranny are re-installed and all hooked up. I swiped the manifold and carb off the truck and hooked it up on Bess as none of my '56 style carbs are cooperating. I'll have to get that rebuild kit and attempt a rebuild on one of them. Hopefully this time it will be successful. The four bbl wasn't.

There appears to be a problem with Bess' distributor. I'm hoping that it's just a sticky Breaker Plate Assy. It got doused with oil during the installation of the motor, and seems to be loosening up with use. I hope so... A three hundred dollar new distributor is not something I need to pay for right now. Things are tight enough.

I'm also having trouble with the clutch. It depresses (or seems to) yet does not dis-engage. To do that I've got the adjustment on the arm as far in as it will go. In fact, the threaded end of the arm is so far in it's binding against the Clutch Operating Shaft's arm. I'm going to drop the transmission tomorrow to see what the problem is. Hopefully, the T.O. bearing is in backwards or something. Otherwise, I'm stumped.
                    Ron Smith

Comment

Hi Ron,
                      Great to see you're getting back into Ol' Bess. It was great to visit you and Yarn on about Studes in general and Ol' Bess as well.Wished we could have stayed longer.
                      I wish I could offer good advice on the clutch problem,but the only times I've ever seen the clutch not disengage was due to linkage/arm fouling or binding which is very uncommon.I have seen a case where the diaphragm ( pressure plate fingers ) were pushed in so far due to the lever being so far out of adjustment ( or t'out bearing reversed...it's possible...not sure on Studes)that they were pushed past the point of return or inverted if that makes sense.You should be easily able to see this if it is the problem and if so,you'll need to reset the linkages so the foot to the floor won't cause this to happen.If the pressure plate is inverted you'll need to support the outer edges and use a LARGE drift to " Bump" the levers/fingers back and check them for level before reusing it.
                      Good luck with it anyway.
                      I'm pretty sure that 57-58 wagon rear quarter panels are the same as 56 other than badge holes and side holes for the add on fins.I'm not sure if the 56 sedan lower quarter sections are the same as the wagon,but it wouldn't surprise me at all as Stude was cash strapped in the late 50's.You could measure and compare the sedan outside to Ol' Bess's.
                      Hey! If they are compatible and you can borrow a mig welder,I can butt weld them when I come over next ???.A bloke's gotta have something to do other than fishing.Right???
                      P.S. Did you ever remember who supplied the fabulous seat trim in Bess???.
                      Almost forgot...I'll have some pics ready to send soon as my new computer's being built now.
                      Regards
                      Tony
                      A.C.Moisley

Comment

Well, I took a shortcut in removing Bess' bellhousing and it took me all day to remove the engine. One of the first rules of the K.I.S.S. principals is: If it seems like a brilliant change to procedure, it will cause you twice the lost time and effort.

My brilliant idea was to remove the bellhousing from Bess' motor without pulling the motor. Oi, vay!

Well... at least I know never to do that again.

Okay, here's some shots of Bess' clutch.

Well... may-be not. Seems the picture inserting thingus is'nt working. Either that or I've exceeded the maximum allowed by Vbulletin. So, here's a link to the new thread:
                        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...780#post475780
                        Last edited by studeclunker; 07-24-2010, 09:37 PM. Reason: insert link
                        Ron Smith

Comment

I was laying underneath Bess on the creeper, reattaching things and came to the conclusion, this is not what I like to do. I am neither a 'Grease Monkey' nor a 'Gear Head'. I like driving old cars, working on them is the pits.

However, the up-side of all this occured to me though. At least I have this beautiful concrete floor and nice cool shop to work in. That is a wonderful thing. So, though I have black greasy hands (I washed before the computer, LOL), sand in my hair and numb feet. At least I'm not out in the gravel anymore. A shop/garage is a gift straight from Heaven itself.
                          Ron Smith

Comment

Well, it appears that either I or S.I. got the wrong part number on my order (most likely me). So, the problem is in a 10.5 inch disc in lieu of a 10 inch clutch disc. Just what I need. So much for being able to get the carb professionally rebuilt. Well, maybe next month.
                            I'm really getting sick of pulling out and putting back in this motor/tranny...
                            Ron Smith

Comment

Well, I recieved the clutch disc from S.I. yesterday. As usual, seven days from ordering. I think UPS sends COD via ox cart.

Anyway, I got the disc installed yesterday and popped the engine back in. It went in suspiciously easily. The transmission was introduced today and everything hooked back up. Still have a few loose ends (literally), and bits to install, before I can set the old girl back on her tyres, but we're getting there. I found an Edelbrock carb out on the flat (the place where George and I keep our parts cars) and borrowed it from George to see if it will work on Bess. We'll see what happens tomorrow or the next day. It'd be nice to drive her to Church this Sunday, but I doubt she'll be ready. Ah, well. Maybe next week.
                              Last edited by studeclunker; 08-06-2010, 08:59 PM. Reason: remove sig. line
                              Ron Smith

Comment

Ladies and gentlemen, Bess has left... the building!

Yep, she putted out of the shop on her own power tonight. I motored around the yard and then put her back in. She heated up a bit, so I pulled the Thermostat out. I also figured out how to put her heater plumbing together tonight. So, she'll be fully functional. Provided of course, the heater core isn't bad. I know, details, details...

I have a growing list of odds and ends that she needs. For instance, the O.D. lockout switch is leaking badly. So, I'll need a new gasket for it. I'd also like to replace all the outer seals, Valve Cover, Distributor Seal, Oil pan, etc, etc... One thing I didn't find in S.I.'s catalogue though, was a Valley Cover seal/gasket. Nothing, not even a mention. Hmmm.... Any ideas on that one?

The old girl has taken up smoking. I hope it cures itself, but doubt it will. She's needed her valves adjusted and I fear they may have just gotten to the point of needing doing all round. We'll see what a bit of driving will do for that.

I almost forgot the picture:
                                Last edited by studeclunker; 08-07-2010, 11:54 PM. Reason: forgot the picture!
                                Ron Smith

Comment

Working...
                                X