Studebaker History for 4/27/10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker History for 4/27/10

What Los Angelos Studebaker dealorship was the last to close its doors and in what year did this happen??

Tom

sigpic

Frost and French?

Mark

Comment

I recall Frost & French still being open in LA during 1976 when a few of us Aussies called in there. They still had an attractive parts inventory then. We diminished the stock a little before heading on to the SDC Meet at Indy.

"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER"
      MELBOURNE.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
      MELBOURNE.

Comment

Frost and French Inc. in 1974
        Maybe in 76 they werent as such a Studebaker dealer??? Anyone?

sigpic

Comment

They started (Inc. in?) 1925 as a Packard Dealership, became Studebaker Packard in about 1956 until Studebaker sold out to Newman & Altman and continued as their Western U.S. Warehouse/Distributor and Avanti Dealer long AFTER Studebaker Automotive Sales Corp. SASCO was gone.

I was looking for the commemorative literature I got at the closing party the L.A. Chapter of SDC held (there) when the original Dealership with New cars (Avanti II), Used Studebakers, reconditioned used Hawks in the showroom, and a full Parts and Service Dept. plus the Western U.S. Warehouse at 230 Western Ave. closed (moved actually).
          Not found yet, but I found one of their Gold Foil stickers on a business card from Alvarado St. honoring their 60th year in 1985.
          That store still had Service, but the next and final move in Los Angeles had Parts only, like the last move to Lancaster, out in the Antelope Valley Desert. So it may have been in the 1990's when this original Dealer gave it up, due to the owner and the Parts (Store) Manager's age. That was where the Thoms Bros. moved it from to Redwood City Northern Calif. ironically that is very close to where the bulk of those parts from the Northern Calif SASCO (Depot) Warehouse in Burlingame, CA originally came from! [:0]
          I was the Parts Dept. counterperson on Western Ave. in 1970-71.

StudeRich
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thanks StudeRich
            Tom

sigpic

Comment

Being a relative newcomer to the world of Studebakers and Avantis I have a question. I inherited with my car two different catalogs. Expressly Avanti of California and Special Interest Autos of St. Louis, Inc. Expressly Avanti was owned by Ed Reynolds. Is the latter vendor still in existence? A letter inside the cover is signed "Ray and Bob." Just curious.

"It's like deja vu all over again."--Yogi Berra
              "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Ed Reynolds now operates Studebaker International in Greenville, Ind. Email them at info@studebaker-intl.com or find them online at http://www.studebaker-intl.com/index.html. Amazingly, they have grown substantially.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                Tom Bredehoft
                '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
                '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                ....On the road, again....
                '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                All Indiana built cars

Comment

Tom, thanks for the response. I was aware of where Ed Reynolds is located. Many years ago I visited Packard Farms in Greenfield which was acquired by Ed Reynolds for his business.

Is there any part of Special Interest Autos of St. Louis in existence? Their catalog is interesting and has drawings of major components and parts with each part identified with its part number.

A new reservoir tank (1555873) is listed at $58.95.
                  Dash pad cover w/pad (1350523X1) 67.68 any color available

Just a couple of interesting listings. The inventory in the catalog seems quite complete. I would guess that it was produced in the first few years after Studebaker closed...maybe about 40 years ago. Because of the drawings and part no. IDs it has been handy as a cross-reference when parts are needed.

"It's like deja vu all over again."--Yogi Berra

Comment

No Bob, S.I.A. was bought out by Packard Farm I believe, and as you know that was bought out by Studebaker of Calif./Expressly Avanti which all are now S.I.

However, S.I.A.'s former owner Bob Johnson does work at S.I. [^]

StudeRich
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thank you for that history. It answered my curiosity about the vendors mentioned. Studebaker enthusiasts are fortunate to have such a depth of parts and information so readily available.

Comment

Working...
                      X